Author Topic: Recipe Books  (Read 568 times)

Offline lottieguy

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
Recipe Books
« on: January 02, 2014, 08:53:45 AM »
Hi Ya, I have just purchased a book by Jamie Oliver called saving with Jamie for £6 of Amazon. I have had a quick flick though and think it is a good book with some interesting snippets in it. I was temted to buy having seen his programme on the telly and it quite inspired me. We all like bubble and squeak but this puts a different slant on things. I will enjoy reading it. I wonder what every one elses favourite recipe book is? I still go back back occasionally to an old copy of of the all time recipe book sold by M&S some 30 years ago. Well thumbed now it holds recipes for yorky pud as I can never remember the ingredients. Happy cooking.

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
Re: Recipe Books
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 06:35:45 PM »
 ThU32:-) I am rather keen on River Cottage Hugh rustles up some really tasty food using all organic stuff.I know it not exactly books but the recipies are digital ones online. I watched the prog the other night concentrating on apples in a wide variety of different foods in fact brilliant.  clap:-)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 06:50:41 PM »
Yes I like ol' Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall as well. I quite enjoyed the recent series of programmes he made with Adam Henson of Countryfile fame.

A good programme to educate people on the realities of rearing animals & growing food that lands up in the kitchen. A refreshing angle on things. It should help kids from believing that milk is made in milk factories - it is of course - only they're called dairy farms!  But many of the poor kids don't know what a dairy farm or a veg garden looks like.

Offline Tony

• Full Plot Cultivator
  • I'd rather be gardening
    • Allotment Garden
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 11:47:43 PM »
Neither do many adults BG.  Amazing what people don't know.

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 12:16:13 AM »
Have a old encloypedia type  book here that lists all the vegetables meat and shellfish thats in season each month is full of recipes for jams, jellies, and chutneys bread,biscuits ,cakes ,wines meat and fish  dishes articles on growing veg and fruit  keeping chickens, breeding rabbits for meat  it,s endless very old now the cover and spine are falling to bits so we need to handle with care  must be a old book it even explains how to wear a gas mask  .

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 11:05:12 AM »
What's the name of it Scary? It might be worth a squint to see if I can pick one up in a Charity, or Second-hand Bookshop.  ThU5:-)

Offline Tony

• Full Plot Cultivator
  • I'd rather be gardening
    • Allotment Garden
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 01:13:04 PM »
Sound really good scary.  Might be on googlebooks?

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 03:50:11 PM »
 RedFaced:-( Very good scary one of those old books dealing with the nitty gritty of life no holds bared and not for the squemish as it can be gory with it's details on how to go about doing things. I.E. slaughtering a rabbit or chicken and getting it ready for the table  :-Yes
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 03:52:21 PM by Westheathdave »

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 08:09:01 PM »
What's the name of it Scary? It might be worth a squint to see if I can pick one up in a Charity, or Second-hand Bookshop.  ThU5:-)

Well hope you can great reading it,s called  ''The concise household encyclopedia ''  you would love it BG ..Lists some of the index ..flowers how to grow ,greenhouse plants ,manures and fertilisers ,tools and accesories ,fruit how to grow ,trees and shrubs ,veg how to grow ,garden diseases and pests ,herbs ,thats the gadening side then theres all about the house woodwork,lighting ,repairs ,heating ,metal working ,basket work ,tools,woods and metals, house keeping and cleaning ,cookery processes,utensils ,ingredients,savouries ,soups drinks non alchoholic and alcholic ,sauces and relishes ,cheeses,garnishes,sweets and ices ,Has 145 different bread and cake recipes in it ,Knitting ,material,furs and there uses ,medicines and remedies ,childbirth and the baby,and theres more but sadly the index has fallen apart ...Just hope you can find a copy it,s a big red book .

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 10:10:46 PM »
If this helps here,s a picture just done some research published in 1920

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 10:51:32 PM »
I notice you got the pic from Amazon SC. Wow - have you seen how much stuff like this is going for? The Amazon 'used' items are about £23.00. The ones on eBay are even dearer! I was hoping for something under a fiver in a second hand bookshop or a charity shop. Eyes peeled at the car boot sales when the weather gets better!  CW ;-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/household-encyclopedia

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 10:54:40 PM »
Will keep a eye out for you aswell some great things in it recipes i,ve never even heard of ..

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 11:01:56 PM »

Dam *******  !!!!!!!!!   My gran had that book I am sure + a full set of Newnes Encyclopdeas I kept them for a long time cannot remember what happened to em now Hind sight is a wonderfull thing and some books my dad had Carpentry for all was the title.  spf:-(

Offline squirrel

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 11:04:16 PM »
I love old books on how to use, make, bake, repair and salvage things. Old books are one of my great passions  ThU32:-)
squirrels are often out their trees but never short of nuts.

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 11:10:38 PM »
I love old books on how to use, make, bake, repair and salvage things. Old books are one of my great passions  ThU32:-)

You would like this then squirrel ..When i pick it up i cannot put it down ...[No comments Big G ] CW ;-)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 11:19:23 PM »

You would like this then squirrel ..When i pick it up i cannot put it down ...[No comments Big G ] CW ;-)

OH NO it's not THAT big - you can't fool me . . . !!  cwl:-]

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 11:21:39 PM »

OH NO it's not THAT big - you can't fool me . . . !!  cwl:-]

You would not want it as a wart on your nose bg . cmu:-)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 11:25:30 PM »

Dam *******  !!!!!!!!!   . . .  I kept them for a long time cannot remember what happened to em now . . . .  spf:-(

Not with your Dad's blazer are they? Just a thought . . . !!!

Thanks for the Birthday Present. tell Sam I apologise for opening it early - but the child comes out in me - I don't get presents in the post very often & I opened it without thinking!

It's BRILLIANT thanks & a big  XK for Sam from me.

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 11:29:49 PM »
Prezzie was it a blue blazer with brass buttons ?

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 11:31:38 PM »
NO - keep guessing!  Don't tell him Dave - until I post a picture of it on this Forum! Grin2:-)