Author Topic: Chicken breeds  (Read 240 times)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Chicken breeds
« on: December 07, 2013, 12:51:50 AM »
I've just come across a brilliant web-site for any of our members who have an interest in keeping chickens.

Here's the URL address link to it:

https://www.omlet.co.uk/breeds/chickens

Offline lottieguy

• Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
Re: Chicken breeds
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 10:38:30 AM »
Hi Ya, Interesting, I have been offered, fingers crossed, a chicken coop on site to put on my plot, I am interested in keeping up to 3 birds and I quite fancy that. I am looking at keeping one of each, Suffolk red, Suffolk blue and a Suffolk white. I think the price for point of lay is reasonable but looking at this tip they are very comparable. I am just waiting for confirmation on the coop and council to say yes. The council have been saying no to all on keeping chooks on site but they have now let a new member do it so there will be more especially as I pointed out the allotment act of 1953 says we can keep live stock ie, bees, rabbits and chooks. I am quite looking forward to it and doing as much research as I can. Happy Days

Offline spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 07:12:39 AM »
i do hope you are ready to go to your plot morning and night every day because that's what is needed if you keep chickens
  ROL :-))
Spuds (mick Ford)
is that the kettle I hear boiling
Newton Abbot Sunny Devon ( most times!)

Online scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 09:58:12 PM »
yes good point there spuds I would love to keep a few hens but whatever the weather you need to be able to tend to there needs  and with the beast from the east last year that wouldent be much fun and also think about holidays and getting someone to care for them while your away .  Also make sure the coop is 110% secure as Mr fox will tear at a coop to get to a good meal ..