Author Topic: planting out in toilet rolls?  (Read 744 times)

Offline Jacqueline

• ¼ Plot Cultivator
planting out in toilet rolls?
« on: May 05, 2016, 07:22:20 PM »
This year was so cold earlier so I sowed the  beans indoors inside toilet rolls.  Now they are growing so fine but maybe getting too hot inside plastic greenhouse.  Is it OK to plant out within the toilet rolls or might that hamper the roots?

About eating not too many raw, but trying to get the live anthocyanins, somewhere I read (maybe the name Dave?) there is much less of the tummy upset stuff in the pods than the beans, but just now I can't find that - maybe even removed!?

Need for advice re toilet roll planting out getting a bit urgent please.! 

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
Re: planting out in toilet rolls?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 08:18:58 PM »
 Grin2:-) Hi Jacqueline they should be fine in the toilet rolls, they disintegrate when they get wet after a time.
I planted out stuff in toilet rolls before and did not have any problems.
I do not think they very good to eat rawI think they should be cooked first, unless anyone on here knows something I don't  :-)snigger
What a beautifull day it's been today been at the plot all day since 9-30 till 6-00 o clock tonight.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 09:27:47 PM »
This year was so cold earlier so I sowed the  beans indoors inside toilet rolls.  Now they are growing so fine but maybe getting too hot inside plastic greenhouse.  Is it OK to plant out within the toilet rolls or might that hamper the roots?

About eating not too many raw, but trying to get the live anthocyanins, somewhere I read (maybe the name Dave?) there is much less of the tummy upset stuff in the pods than the beans, but just now I can't find that - maybe even removed!?

Need for advice re toilet roll planting out getting a bit urgent please.!

No problems whatsoever planting the 'tubes' in the soil Jacqueline. That's the main advantage of starting them off that way. When you transplant in situ the roots don't get disturbed. Within a couple of weeks the roots will be through the sodden tubes and the cardboard will decompose into the soil. You sometimes find the roots will start to grow through the tubes before they are transplanted, if the plants are left a bit long before transplanting.

Dave: boiling the beans (especially the Aeron Purple Stars) can destroy the benefits of the extra anthocyanins they contain (like most purple coloured veg. they contain more anthocyanins than the usual green varieties). Anthocyanins start to get destroyed at 100oC.

Raw runner beans can be mildly toxic to people who are a bit sensitive. However if eaten young and not in silly quantities the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, and if you get a sore tummy - well don't do it again!

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 01:55:53 PM »
Eat them raw and young before any beans inside start to develop. I would munch on a couple every time I went down to the lottie, sometime 2 or three times a day...no problems there, for me at least. APS is the finest raw bean available...our local gastro (award winning Lamb Inn at Sandford - look it up) has APS as a regular ingredient in their summer salads.

It's true that some people react and that's a learning curve for them but I suspect that most of the population would be just fine.

Moderation and awareness is my rule of thumb (unless it comes to home brew and home made cider)  HTT:-}
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 02:08:59 PM »
Moderation and awareness is my rule of thumb (unless it comes to home brew and home made cider)  HTT:-}

lol(1) Is that an admission that moderation is NOT observed and you're still not aware that it makes you fall over? Oh dear Tommo - I fear that at your age I'm reminded of that old saying about "old dogs" and "new tricks"!!