Author Topic: runners  (Read 39 times)

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
runners
« on: May 23, 2018, 12:06:47 AM »
I found this dident realise you could eat the tubers ..................Runner Beans   -   [Pole beans, Scarlet runner bean, Oregon lima bean; Ayocotl (Nahuatl); Ayocote (Spanish); Gigantes (Greece); Phaseolus coccineus]
Dried Black Runner Beans

Originating in the mountains of Central America, this bean is now popular in Greece and Iraq. In North America it is grown mostly as a decorative vine for its red flowers, and few know it is edible. For some reason it is no longer as commonly used in Latin America as it was in Pre-Columbian times.

Runner beans are perennial vines with edible starchy root tubers, which are still eaten by some Central American Indians. These beans usually have scarlet flowers, but the beans can be many colors. The photo specimens are Ayocote Negro, or giant black bean. They were typically 0.89 inch long, 0.49 inch wide and 0.36 inch thick. The photo includes our ubiquitous red kidney bean for scale
ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline lottieguy

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
Re: runners
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 08:20:45 AM »
Hi Ya, I looked at the roots of my runners when clearing them and often wondered if they would be edible as they are so plump like sweet potatoes. Now I know, don't think that I will try them though. Learn something new every day.