Author Topic: Broadforks  (Read 200 times)

Offline lottieguy

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
Broadforks
« on: April 18, 2018, 08:20:20 AM »
Hi Ya, I saw a thread on another site, I know, two faced, about broadforks, I have never heard of them but looked them up and they are expensive. American mainly but used by no dig voyeurs to loosen the soil before applying mulch. They are supposed to save your back rather than digging but I assume you could do the same with a normal fork. Any way has any one else heard of them or used them?

Offline lottieguy

Re: Broadforks
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 08:25:56 AM »
Hi Ya, well watched the Beechgrove garden programme last weekend and they went to a garden who provide veggie boxes. There was a woman using a broad fork and she explained that as they are no dig in order to get air into the soil they just loosen it with a broadfork. So it is not, as I thought for digging but just to allow air in. There you go. Why a broadfork, they are expensive, I don't know I would just use a normal fork and Get the same result I think.

Offline lottieguy

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 09:18:30 AM »
Hi Ya, Well having spoken to some one who uses one I am up for a go. With my hips giving me jip I will go for mostly a no dig scenario and use the broad fork to aireate the soil. It seems they are used mostly in the states and abroad. Will give it a go and see how I get on next season. I say mostly no dig as I will dig over the spuds when lifted and rotovate my carrot ground but that's all. Wish me luck.

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 10:35:05 PM »
Well i think anything that makes life easier and allows you to continue doing what you enjoy is well worth a try .. Have watched a video of the broadfork seems like a good tool so keep us informed with what you think of it ..