Author Topic: Sweet Potatoes  (Read 1716 times)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Sweet Potatoes
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2015, 01:32:55 AM »
They're looking good & healthy wonky. I bet they're lapping up this sunshine! I can't resist giving runners a little hand to climb, but in reality they can always cope on their own. I wouldn't mind betting the same goes for those sweet potatoes as well.

Offline lottieguy

• Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2015, 01:10:46 PM »
Hi Ya, here we go and I hope that the piccies are ok size wise as I have had to find my way round this new computer. I opened them with picture manager as the tip I got of here told me.

I think the top one is doing better than the other, one is at home and the other lottie. That said the lottie ones seem to have taken of this last week. One end is in shade of a water butt and that has definitely made a difference. I planted on top of a ridge as advised but next time will put them on the flat. Watering is a pain and not easy, I did consider using plastic pop or milk bottles cut up and I think this would make life easier. Never mind I live and learn. They definitely like the better weather. I am looking forward to harvesting now hopefully they will produce. Happy gardening.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2015, 03:48:16 PM »
Looking good mate!  ThU5:-) Yes the first definately has the edge I'd say.

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2015, 11:31:34 PM »
There looking good wonky   clap:-)     have to agree the top ones are looking better   .    ThU5:-)

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2015, 01:21:39 AM »
There looking good wonky   clap:-)     have to agree the top ones are looking better   .    ThU5:-)

Oops those are not mine Scary! They belong to lottieguy.  ROL :-))

Offline lottieguy

« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2015, 07:51:43 AM »
Hi Ya, The pots on the lottie have more space and the homers are two in a pot. Will be interesting to see the results.

I must be getting better and upping my game if I am mistaken for some one who is infinitely more experienced and expert. I'm on my way  lol(1)

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2015, 10:22:34 AM »
oops     Blush:-(

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2015, 01:28:12 PM »
I must be getting better and upping my game if I am mistaken for some one who is infinitely more experienced and expert. I'm on my way  lol(1)

Blimey lottieguy if that is a reference to myself then you couldn't be further off the mark if you tried!  ROL :-))  ROL :-))  ROL :-))
I'm just in the middle of my third season as an allotmenteer and slowly learning as I go. I'm afraid the country would be starving if it had to depend on my experience and abilities for growing veggies. This is the first year I have had some successful peas and only hope I can remember what I did right for when I start on next years planting.   lol(1)  lol(1)  lol(1)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2015, 03:02:23 PM »
Guess what? I'm in my 39th year of veggie growing and I feel I've only just scratched the surface. Gardening knowledge and experience is infinite - you could live and grow fruit & veg forever and still find something to learn and mistakes to make!!  lol(1)

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2015, 08:37:16 PM »
Guess what? I'm in my 39th year of veggie growing and I feel I've only just scratched the surface. Gardening knowledge and experience is infinite - you could live and grow fruit & veg forever and still find something to learn and mistakes to make!!  lol(1)

Very true that Gee and it dont help with the seasons and weather changes we have to experience nowadays ..

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2015, 09:15:54 AM »
Right on there, Scary, I too, have been putting my hands in the earth for 40-odd years and I still come up with stuff that baffles me. That's why I enjoy this forum, there is always good advice floating about, the banter is great and the generosity is awesome.

YRTB

On the matter of baffling stuff I will be posting a problem up on the disease board today. I have sick tomato - one of the freakish gigantommo's has succumbed to something nasty looking. When I get up ( lazy start for me today!) I'll take some pic's and come looking for opinions.

Gardening references at the ready, troops!

doh:-{
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2015, 11:04:05 PM »
These are my sweet potatoes Scary!

They definitely have no climbing tendencies whatsoever - all they want to do is run along the ground in dead straight lines. It is just a case of waiting for them to be long enough so that they can be gathered up and tied to the canes.

Oh and if Poppa is interested the first tomato plant on each side is the variety Gigantomo.

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2015, 10:11:59 PM »
Just noticed the first flower on the Sweet Potato plants - quite a pretty thing but tiny compared to Morning Glory.

Offline lottieguy

« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2015, 01:09:02 PM »
Hi Ya, went down the lottie today for an hour as my transport is home and out of interest had a little dig around by hand in the plastic where I grew my sweet spuds, I had already had a ferret around the home grown ones and though the home grown looked better at the beginning of the year I think the lottie grown ones are bigger and better. I will lift a few more during the week and see. The ones I have so far lifted have been Carolina ruby and they seem to do better than beuregaurd. happy gardening

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2015, 09:51:39 PM »
Had a bit of a furtle in the greenhouse earlier today and there are definitely some sweet potatoes lurking in the borders. Don't think they are massive but should be usable. As the information says to dig them up when the foliage dies back and there is no sign of that happening yet then they can stay put for awhile longer and in the meantime will hopefully grow to a more usable size. Fingers crossed!

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2015, 11:11:34 PM »
It's so mild everything is clinging on, should be good news for your seet potatoes though wonky.  ThU5:-)

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2015, 08:34:28 PM »
So much for the mild weather! The overnight frost has found its way into the greenhouse so the sweet potato tops are starting to look a little the worse for the experience. Guess I will have to think about lifting the potatoes fairly shortly.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2015, 01:32:44 PM »
It must have hit quite hard up there for it to penetrate the greenhouse Wonky - but as you always say "it's grim up north!".

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2015, 06:55:28 PM »
For the time being the old greenhouse is vulnerable to frost because until I have honed my glass cutting skills, which by the way are non existent at the moment, various panes are missing from the roof and ends.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2015, 10:39:19 PM »
Ah! Yes of course, I'd forgotten about your permanent ventilation problem! So the temperature inside will be exactly as that outside - at the moment it's just a bit of shelter from the wind. Have you thought about getting a sheet of Polycarbonate (or perspex)? Much easier to work with than glass.

http://www.theplasticpeople.co.uk/product/polycarbonate-for-greenhouses-cut-to-size