Author Topic: Keeled Garlic  (Read 256 times)

Offline aftermidnight

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
    • Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
Keeled Garlic
« on: July 23, 2014, 03:38:55 AM »
I bought a pot of these a few years back, the tag said they can be used in winter in place of chives when most chives are dormant. Do any of you use them like chives or only grow them as ornamentals?
They do spread themselves around a bit but the flowers are so pretty I wait until they finish flowering before pulling the unwanted ones out.
I haven't been able to find much information on them and so far I've only found one other person growing them and he didn't know much about them, he was just growing them as an ornamental.

Annette

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
Re: Keeled Garlic
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 07:35:54 AM »
These appear in the springtime in Devon and grow everywhere. We use them a lot. The flowers are fantastic in a salad. At the moment I've got. Dozen in pots to see if they work that way.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline squirrel

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 10:43:08 AM »
I had never heard of this until now. It sounds just the sort of stuff I could do with. Is there an online supplier anywhere?
squirrels are often out their trees but never short of nuts.

Offline Poppa Tommo

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 03:51:43 PM »
I'll see if I can dig some of my lovely neighbour, Ruby's, up and send you some bulblets.

Offline aftermidnight

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 04:11:56 PM »
Hmmm, I thought I hit the post button, Oh well, one more time :). Tommy these do fantastically well in pots just remember to deadhead them or you'll have them coming up all over. I first bought Keeled Garlic (Allium  carinatum) to use as winter chives but not finding much information on them have held off using them, just enjoyed looking at the pretty flowers. It's too late for this year as I have just cut back and repotted them, but next year :). As for other chives, I have 3 or 4 different varieties along with a pot of garlic chives these I use in salads, sandwiches and on baked potatoes.

Annette

Offline squirrel

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 11:01:13 PM »
I'll see if I can dig some of my lovely neighbour, Ruby's, up and send you some bulblets.

that would be great, I had been thinking of getting some wild garlic but I do like the sound of this better
  :-)=
squirrels are often out their trees but never short of nuts.

Offline Poppa Tommo

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 11:19:16 PM »
Ahhh. Hmmmm. Well now I feel more than a little embarrased. Blush:-( In my childish enthusiasm I googled the 'Keeled Garlic' that Annette posted about and up came a perfect description of our normal wild garlic and I thought A-haaa I know where there is plenty of that. I mentioned it to a mate and he said OOhhh Nooo it's not that one it is a different one that you can grow in pots and is talll and pinky coloured and comes out in the Autumn.

Back to the drawing board so  googled it some more and found that there are very few suppliers of this and yet it is very easy to grow, aparently.  I emailed three possible suppliers and this is the only one that got back to me.

Sue Beesley <sue@bluebellcottage.co.uk>

9:07 AM (14 hours ago)

to me
Hello Rob,

No bulbs, but I have the plants in 1L pots, in flower now. Not suitable for shipping mail order now, but can be collected, or shipped later when dormant.

Regards

Sue

On Annettes recomendation I might well order a couple as her use of them sounds lovely. THEN I will be able to send you some bulbs/split-offs in due course.

Sorry for leading yo up the garden path (literally)
Rob

Offline aftermidnight

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 11:49:24 PM »
Tommy, if or when you order some could you ask about their culinary uses, as I said earlier, when I bought mine the tag said they could be used like chives in the winter when most chives are dormant but it would be nice to hear from someone who has actually used them as such.
Strange you'd think they'd be more readily available but I haven't seen them for sale anywhere since. I got mine from a local herb farm, which has changed hands, the new owners don't carry them.
It's too bad about 'across the pond' thing, I could have given you and others a start. I was negligent in deadheading mine and they spread themselves around a bit in the edge of a gravel path where I had my herb pots. They've since been weeded out.

Annette

Offline Poppa Tommo

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 08:18:31 AM »
Yes I will keep you posted, Annette. I feel such a fool jumping in like that and coming up with the wrong ones.

Where I live in Crediton, Devon, there is a very good community of growers and self sufficience folk so I am sure that there will be someone local with more knowledge on this plant and its uses. It will be a while before I am able to report back as the email I received says that they can send them in the dormant season as they are in flower right now.

I know what you mean about us lot on the forum all being spread far and wide in the world. We have often talked about how nice it would be for us to have a 'family' get together.

Offline aftermidnight

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 12:09:18 AM »
Finding information about the edibility of this allium has been like pulling hens teeth but I finally found this bit...

"Allium carinatum or keeled garlic is a native European allium that grows in grasslands and woodlands. It's a hardy plant that will survive a frosty winter. It will grow in most types of soil, even heavy clay. The leaves are thin and long, usually arching over. The flowers grow on top of tall upright stems; loose balls of deep dusky pink blooms. It will grow in full sun or partial shade and it likes moist soil. It spreads fast so it can become invasive. It's a beneficial edible plant that can help to reduce cholesterol and improve your digestive and circulatory systems."

I guess this is best grown in pots and deadheaded before going to seed should keep it under control. Now to try it in place of chives come winter :).

Annette

Offline Poppa Tommo

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 08:00:19 AM »
Tommy, if or when you order some could you ask about their culinary uses, as I said earlier, when I bought mine the tag said they could be used like chives in the winter when most chives are dormant but it would be nice to hear from someone who has actually used them as such.
Annette

Hi Annette - I've just had my lunch break in front of the iPad browsing for herbal/ medicinal uses of keeled garlic and the best I can come up with is this one, so far:

http://www.naturalmedicinalherbs.net/herbs/a/allium-carinatum=keeled-garlic.php

Hope this is what you are looking for. I'll still ask around these parts for any more information.

Offline aftermidnight

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 03:34:25 PM »
Thanks Tommy, very similar to what I found. I just cut mine back and repotted the bulbs, I feel more comfortable about trying them in place of chives now  ThU5:-).