• WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY IN YOUR GARDEN / ALLOTMENT 5 3
Currently:  

Author Topic: WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY IN YOUR GARDEN / ALLOTMENT  (Read 30273 times)

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
Re: WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY IN YOUR GARDEN / ALLOTMENT
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2013, 08:13:02 PM »
Had a look around today as well Scary you are lucky to have the wood still there some Bugger would have pinched it here it would have been fire wood :-)snigger with a message on your shed door thanks got a tent so left you the plastic ;)

lol(1)Luckily we dont get much trouble at our site and if we get thieves im normally ok as im on the end plot and the thieves dont want to walk that far either that or i grow crap veg  :-)snigger :-)snigger

Offline rugbypost

« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2013, 08:24:57 PM »
 You got to watch around here  All the swans have been eaten there are  tents in the woods around the town its not the thief's  you got to watch its the Polish immigrants  no were  to live hungry, cold, feel sorry for them but that's what happens when they think our roads are paved with gold.

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2013, 08:27:49 PM »
Shame that they have to live like that shows how bad it must be in there own country to stay here ..

Offline lottieguy

• Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2013, 11:14:27 AM »
Hi Ya, well went to lottie yeserday and we have had visitors again. I have had my onions pulled up, some had water butts tipped over the paths along with compost bins and netting frames moved/broken. One fellow on site who keeps chucks told me he went to feed them early and luckily it was light as they put trip wires of his garden lines around the main path. One said it could of been the wind. Behave the wind would not lift a darlek of a mound of compost and empty water out of butts. One had visitors in their shed and seed packets thrown around, chairs moved and judging by the sweet smell and rizla papers been in there smoking. I thought that had stopped as freinds who are away just now used to get the problem. I did a quick check of their site and see they have now put small locks on the doors. It won't stop the determined theif but will maybe put off the casual intruder. I hope the locks on my shed will deter them as it by housing and they would need to make noise to get in. Oh well they will get theirs one day. Happy gardening

Offline rugbypost

« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2013, 07:32:06 PM »
Fun seems to have changed today its not about kicking a ball , making dens or hours learning crafts in the village hall . Its what can we Break, Damage , Burn , and Hurt people. Sorry to hear about your trouble Lottieguy we don't have that problem we still work under the old Heath and Safety Rules if your caught you get a whack . No good saying they will change most never do they get worse.

Offline galina

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2014, 08:17:15 AM »
Just to say. that here I have had full compost daleks and full waterbutts toppled by the wind several times - it does happen.  It isn't a steady 'clean' wind that does it, but fierce gusts and swirls of wind that develop.  Our sturdy fence is regularly affected by these gusts that are much more severe than steady stormy wind.

Sorry to hear about all the thieving and vandalism.  It has been getting worse in the last few years.  I know of people who won't grow orange squashes anymore, because green ones aren't as visible and don't get stolen or trampled by vandals.   You grow something and take pride in it and somebody else treats it like a supermarket without check-out!  So unfair, but sadly getting more common.  At least the stolen food  is feeding somebody who is in need, but that's no consolation at all when it is you they are stealing from.  And we all have families to feed!   And we have worked to produce our veg!  HB:-(

Offline galina

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2014, 08:42:43 AM »
Yesterday I just harvested veg for the week and was actually quite pleased.  We had beetroot, chard, parsnips, oca, celery, leeks, kale.  The giant (now very well tied down) broccoli mesh cloche had produced several more pounds of broccoli.  These are now pretty small florets, more like sprouting broccoli, because they are the side shoots of the side shoots, but there is still a lot of good food.  Also harvested lettuce, endive, rocket, lots of cress and spring onions.  Not having had a severe frost yet does have its advantages, although the garden is very muddy and has a bit of standing water in places.  Have celery, rocket, lamb's lettuce, real lettuce and cress in the greenhouse too.

Is your plot still under water Big G?  Certainly doesn't look like this awful stuck weather pattern is going away any time soon.  As they said on the box - new year, same old weather!

Offline squirrel

« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2014, 09:17:45 AM »
Lottieguy said
I did a quick check of their site and see they have now put small locks on the doors. It won't stop the determined theif but will maybe put off the casual intruder. I hope the locks on my shed will deter them as it by housing and they would need to make noise to get in. Oh well they will get theirs one day. Happy gardening

I'm sorry to hear about the vandalism and hope it is all easily put right. It's hear-rending when such lack of consideration and respect is dealt out in this way.

I stopped putting locks on my sheds some time ago lottieguy as they still got in but damaged the sheds in doing so. We had a long spate of break-ins and although it was mainly by kids after an easy thrill to do as much damage, and lift anything they could pocket, we also had a couple of major break-ins which was aimed at getting their hands on the big stuff. Rotavators, tillers, mowers, strimmers and the heads off all the wolf-garten clip on tools they could get. This was a big boy effort, not kids, because they also took the fuel from the nearby orange phone mast cutting their way through two gates with bolt cutters.

We managed to get a large grant which allowed us to lay the hedge abounding the site, fill in the gaps and put brabed wire fencing alongside it. We also ran some market stalls to raise the cash and bought an infra-red camera that operates with movement and put a big sign up to say it was there. We have now been free from break-ins for two years and just hope it stays that way.
squirrels are often out their trees but never short of nuts.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2014, 12:17:21 PM »
. . . . Is your plot still under water Big G?  Certainly doesn't look like this awful stuck weather pattern is going away any time soon.  As they said on the box - new year, same old weather!

Yes Atlantis is still pretty much hiding below the waters. It does drain off, but then  before you can walk on it again we get another bout of wind & rain (and high tides this time). I've switched off from it in my head & I'm finding the challenge of finding a private site has overtaken the depression of fighting the floods & the lunatics that share the site with me. If all goes well I should hear something soon. In a funny sort of way I get a kick out of a new project. So it's not really as bad as it sounds. I've put an awful lot of effort into the plot I have now, but I view it as a mission accomplished, so I don't really mind getting stuck into another one!

Offline rugbypost

« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2014, 07:16:58 PM »
Its got to be heart breaking B/G All that work to prepare for winter to see everything washed away. People do not talk to each other today to some a point of view is  to threaten you with violance . Best to leave them to them selfs . Hope you find the right place and its not going to cost you a small fortune to get ready ThU5:-)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2014, 07:50:57 PM »
Thank you my friend. In a perfect world everyone on this forum would share the same site & it would be heaven on earth wouldn't it? Trouble is the world is actually full of second rate clowns & it's a lottery who you get lumbered with.  ss:-(

Offline Tony

• Full Plot Cultivator
  • I'd rather be gardening
    • Allotment Garden
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2014, 11:29:56 AM »
If I move over to Eglwys Fach could I get an allotment at your new site BG?   CW ;-) 

Offline lottieguy

• Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2014, 02:12:12 PM »
Hi Ya, well after days spent house bound I made it to the lottie for a couple of hours. Very enjoyable and carried on building my compost bins. Had a chat with a few who passed by to their plots so altogether a lovely chill out time. Happy Gardening.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2014, 06:55:36 PM »
If I move over to Eglwys Fach could I get an allotment at your new site BG?   CW ;-)

You'd have to move a tad further south Tony (Eglwys Fach is about 25 miles north of me). I would chop my right arm off to get someone like you on the same site as me!  ThU432:-)

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2014, 07:10:23 PM »

You'd have to move a tad further south Tony (Eglwys Fach is about 25 miles north of me). I would chop my right arm off to get someone like you on the same site as me!  ThU432:-)

Well i,d chop off my right leg to get on the same site as you BG . ROL :-))

Offline rugbypost

« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2014, 07:12:52 PM »
Cleaned around the bird feeders. Planted a few more Leeks  transplanted 24 seedlings . Looking to put swede  cabbage , and cauliflowers in next week in the propagator . Early pots should be arriving soon to. Its all go here the back room will all pots before long She will be happy little housewife. :-)snigger

Offline Tony

• Full Plot Cultivator
  • I'd rather be gardening
    • Allotment Garden
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2014, 07:53:09 PM »

Thank BG.  A bit of wishful thinking.  I don't think my sister would be able to put up with me if I moved into the village as well. 

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2014, 11:00:08 PM »
I've got a sister like that!  cwl:-]

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2014, 09:29:10 AM »

Well i,d chop off my right leg to get on the same site as you BG . ROL :-))

i DIDENT GET A REPLY  usf:-(. suppose that means im a trouble maker  >:D and wouldent be invited  spf:-(well must walk to allotment today pick up some veg and take all my veg peelings and compostable stuff over got bags of it not been near the allotment for a week ..

Offline squirrel

« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2014, 11:29:05 AM »
wish I could be on that site too, it would be great to share and care for each other.

:-)= Not to worry scary, every group needs its scapegoat, and we would all still love ya even though you might be a trouble maker ...  CW ;-)

squirrels are often out their trees but never short of nuts.