• WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY IN YOUR GARDEN / ALLOTMENT 5 3
Currently:  

Author Topic: WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY IN YOUR GARDEN / ALLOTMENT  (Read 29253 times)

Offline lottieguy

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
Re: WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY IN YOUR GARDEN / ALLOTMENT
« Reply #2220 on: May 25, 2018, 11:42:56 AM »
Hi Ya, well you are way ahead of me. This weekend, dependent on she who must be obeyed, I will be sowing runners, earthing spuds, planting out french beans and my CtoTs and sowing carrots and parsnips. The weather if forecast good so fingers crossed

Offline spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #2221 on: June 02, 2018, 09:10:52 AM »
what have I done Nothing !!
but been very busy moved granddaughter to new home , I now have to decorate it  HB:-(
and to top all I moved her on the bank holiday when it was the hottest day of the year so far
up side she is much nearer to us all  XK

tomato are setting well have quite a few in greenhouse
flower boarders coming on really well
BEST OF ALL THE SITE UP AND RUNNING AGAIN WELL DONE BG clap:-)   
Spuds (mick Ford)
is that the kettle I hear boiling
Newton Abbot Sunny Devon ( most times!)

Offline GCS_Forum_Administrator

• Administrator
  • ½ Plot Cultivator
  • Forum Web-master & Administrator
    • The Gardeners Chat-Shed
« Reply #2222 on: June 02, 2018, 12:38:13 PM »
sdfvb

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2223 on: June 02, 2018, 09:29:45 PM »
well done gee for fixing those problems that you described to me yesterday evening knew you would find the answers and get it up and running again ..

Offline aftermidnight

• Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
« Reply #2224 on: June 02, 2018, 10:29:06 PM »
I noticed some of my Barksdale pole beans had been decapitated so had to replant those, all the others are doing fine. Cucumbers are up and all the tomatoes are finally planted out.
I think I mentioned before, these beans have really made the rounds ;). Within a month the made their way, well almost, around the globe. I was looking for a particular runner variety for someone else in your neck of the woods, Piekny Jas a Polish runner, seed doesn't seem to be sold anywhere here in North America, the only place you might find it is in a Polish Deli sold as a dry bean for culinary use. Another bean enthusiast down island from me thought she found it, it was labeled  PJ but when we germinated it turned out to be a Lima bean, not the runner I was looking for :(.
So... back on the hunt again, a gal on another forum I visit found someone in Eastern Europe who was willing to buy a packet of seed and send it to her she's in Ohio, it peaked her interest being  Polish herself and another fellow in Texas also Polish was interested as well.
When the seed arrived she divided the seed among three of us besides herself. A few went ???, a few went to Texas, a few came to me here in Canada and I sent 5 of the 8 I got to the UK the gal I was looking for this variety in the first place. they almost made a round trip :). As you can see we bean addicts stick together.
I planted the three seeds I kept hoping to get as much seed as I can from them. I doubt I'll grow them again myself but want to have them available to anyone who wants to get this variety in circulation over here. Still hoping to grow a few Aeron Purple Star over at my daughter's place, I have lots of seed so don't have to save any this year, we can eat them all, that is if she will share with me:D.
It will take me awhile to get used to the new format here, but very thankful to see it up and running again, missed chatting with you guys. I hoping our BIG GEE puts in an appearance soon, his Auntie misses him :(.

Annette

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2225 on: June 02, 2018, 10:34:56 PM »
Had a day out yesterday  at plot did lots of weeding cut the grass path and enjoyed the peace and quiet .. Things seem to be growing slowly this year maybe they will have a growth spurt after the rain we had tuesday evening  it was needed as it was getting very hot and sticky .. 

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2226 on: June 05, 2018, 08:26:09 PM »
Had a few hours at plot today after i took the dogs for a gallop even the weeds are slowing up growing it,s been dry and even cool for the past couple of days and everything seems to have slowed up growing ... So im on top of the weeds at the moment may regret saying that if we get the rain sun and heat  lol(1)  .. Hope everything is going well for the rest of the growers on here ..      HAGD :-)

Offline aftermidnight

« Reply #2227 on: June 05, 2018, 10:18:50 PM »
Now that we're into June it has cooled down, hasn't rained yet but June can be a very wet month here. Everything is planted and so far looking good, almost everything out of the greenhouse so soon I can give it a good clean out, shut the door and let the sun do a solar cleanup  :).

A little success story, I had a package of bought (2012) heirloom bean seeds "Ralph's Italian" it was looking like everyone who had this variety had lost them. I tried every method I knew on reviving old seed to no avail. I was just doing a bit of cleanup and went to toss the packet the beans were in and found one seed. I put it in a seed sprouting jar I use for sprouting seed for culinary use, a mason jar with lid allowing you to fill with water swish and dump several rimes a day. Low and behold it sprouted and is now planted out. It now has the nickname "Only the Lonely" Have my fingers crossed it will produce a few pods. Another gal in the states manged to get a few of the same seed from the same year to germinate, these few might be the last on the planet, keeping my fingers crossed.

Annette

Annette

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2228 on: July 09, 2018, 10:35:07 PM »
Had a walk to the plot yesterday with the dogs and all my watering has paid off picked my first batch of runners and 2 table dainty marrows .. Have small cucumbers on 3 plants and the first of the tomatoes are coming along and will have broad beans in the next couple of days ..  Still bone dry here no signs of rain too hot to sleep at night ...   

Offline aftermidnight

« Reply #2229 on: July 13, 2018, 06:29:36 AM »
I have a really small garden in this year due to my health issues but I have a couple of tomatoes in the greenhouse just about ready to pick and the Piekny Jas runners are flowering and starting to produce beans, these will be kept for seed. The other pole beans aren't even flowering yet. Only have one cucumber vine doing anything the others are just sitting there, I think I had some bad seed. The raspberries and strawberries outdid themselves, we got all we wanted then invited our neighbor to come over and pick what she wanted.

Annette

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2230 on: July 14, 2018, 09:24:34 PM »
Went to our plot yesterday as we had to water things are doing well we have the best looking beans on site most have not reached full height or filled out you can still see the supporting canes we have so far had three meals from ours .. While we were watering jen went to check the caulis last week there was little tiny heads forming this there are massive heads on them so good to see some things doing well ..  We took some drums of water to a fellow grower as he was getting low and struggling to carry much water with him as he has just been diagnosed with a serious health problem  so that helps him out for a while ..   Looking forward to some rain think the farmers are aswell everything parched here ,,  Hope everyones well and enjoying growing ...

Offline lottieguy

« Reply #2231 on: July 15, 2018, 01:22:05 PM »
Hi Ya, Put some peelings, broad bean stalks and a bag of horse sh poo on compost bin. Been so dry here but managed to harvest some broad bean, aquadulce and epicure and new spuds maris bard, weeded a bit as well, how come weeds grow when our plants suffer? there's one for the boffins put the gene in weeds into our plants and make them grow

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2232 on: July 15, 2018, 09:31:06 PM »
Another month i will wither and die by then let alone the plants      lol(1)

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2233 on: July 25, 2018, 09:30:56 PM »
Had a walk with the dogs today not too far in this heat then had a visit to the plot dogs get a chance to cool off and have a drink while we watered and did a pick picked some French beans and runners and 4 cucumbers  things are coming on well now but it,s been hard work with all the watering but without it things just dident want to grow and produce anything most growers on our site are suffering this year with a lack of water now most onions have gone backwards with the bulb getting smaller and them producing a flower stalk nothing more than just compost material now .. Been a good year for us with cabbage and caulis and the squashes are looking good just hope they grow and ripen in time as they were late starters  Plenty of tomatoes just not ripe enough yet to try them ..  Whats been good and bad for you all this year ?  ..

Offline lottieguy

« Reply #2234 on: July 30, 2018, 10:11:49 AM »
Hi, well because of the rain, I went into the greenhouse and sowed some lettuce and spring greens, I tried growing peanuts in one of the tubs but came to nothing so binned them and sowed carrot, sweet candle instead. Added more compost to the tatties growing in bags for xmas, then went to plant some large onions in the g/h border. I had them in a tray and they must of been wet for a while as i Lifted them and they are not happy, foliage turning yellow and there was a smell of rot coming from the pots where they had been stood in water without me realising. So I had stood them on the border to dry our and see if they perk up. Fingers crossed I hope they do. Happy gardening

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2235 on: July 31, 2018, 10:26:50 PM »
Just a quick visit to the plot today picked a carrier bag of runner  beans and 5 cukes   will try and spend a day at the plot before the end of the week . 

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2236 on: August 04, 2018, 09:51:40 PM »
 spf:-( Hi all sorry for the long absence I had a few problems the main one was the computer crashed on me through a failed update could not do a thing with it.
Had to have Windows 10 reinstalled and start from scratch, losing everything on the computer. I had a lot of old apps one was to reduce the photo's in size to upload on here.
I cannot replace them now either as cannot remember their proper names or where I got them from.  HB:-(
On the gardening front everything is doing fine am on the 4th crop of rhubarb, most of my onions been harvested have around 100 cannot believe how successful my raised
beds have been. My blueberries have done well just a few more to harvest. I think the hot weather might have something to do with it aswell  CW ;-) .
My courgettes have gone mad harvested about 22 so far and still more to come, the raspberry plants coming along nicely.

I chatted to gee the other day he is not in good shape at the moment a lot of bad inflammation from his Becets  Disease he has, I really feel for him he does not deserve the
rough time he is having at the moment he knows we all miss him on here.  cry:-(

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2237 on: August 04, 2018, 09:57:40 PM »
Just a quick visit to the plot today picked a carrier bag of runner  beans and 5 cukes   will try and spend a day at the plot before the end of the week . 

clap:-)  Nice one Scary I have not grown any beans this year as no where to grow em now not having the plot anymore.

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2238 on: August 04, 2018, 10:05:49 PM »
Hi Ya, Put some peelings, broad bean stalks and a bag of horse sh poo on compost bin. Been so dry here but managed to harvest some broad bean, aquadulce and epicure and new spuds maris bard, weeded a bit as well, how come weeds grow when our plants suffer? there's one for the boffins put the gene in weeds into our plants and make them grow

clap:-)  Nice one lottiguy I only grew my spuds in tubs one for earlies, one for mids and one for lates only 4 seed potatoes in each tub tho had some of each but not enough to feed
a family tho.

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2239 on: August 04, 2018, 10:12:08 PM »
Sounds like you have done well in your garden dave  could you grow beans in the raised bed or in a large tub think the French beans would do ok ..
Been to the plot today half a bag of runners half a bag of French some broadies a cauliflower 2 marrows and 5 cukes ..Did some weeding aswell .  We did  HAGD :-)