• WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY IN YOUR GARDEN / ALLOTMENT 5 3
Currently:  

Author Topic: WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY IN YOUR GARDEN / ALLOTMENT  (Read 27535 times)

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
Re: WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY IN YOUR GARDEN / ALLOTMENT
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2013, 04:59:35 PM »
 :) Been at the plot all day today along with 5 others and committee we been clearing the site up had a big bonfire going all day boy was it warm could not stand too close to it. Been put out now made it safe before we left.

Offline rugbypost

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2013, 05:44:03 PM »
Did an hours work in the green house  I have 3 /50 ltr  black plastic plant pots with handles I was getting them ready to plant early potatoes in they will stay in the green house till end of march  then plant them up. Well rotted manure in the bottom of each pot, and I put 5 seed potatoes in each I normally have a good crop from them.

Offline galina

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2013, 08:10:09 AM »
Dug up Witloof chicory roots and set them into a huge  pot in the conservatory, slightly moistened the compost and covered with a large black bucket for winter salads, once the outside/greenhouse ones are getting sparser.  Stormy again, there will be loads of leaves to tidy later.

Offline rugbypost

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2013, 05:52:03 PM »
Had to go down at 3/o/clock phone call to say everything was being blown around. A couple of old bins that's all, a few old canes, and loads of small pots a few members left hanging about but apart from that all ok. Looks like its heading for Germany according to the news very flat country so lets hope they do not have to much damage.

Offline squirrel

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2013, 08:49:31 PM »
In a word
NOTHING  :(
squirrels are often out their trees but never short of nuts.

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2013, 09:29:47 PM »
Not been near mine today will go tomorrow when i walk the dogs to see if there has been any damage ..

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2013, 09:45:17 PM »
My excuse is "I'm brave enough to face the weather but I'm afraid to catch a draught in my mouth!!" So no lottie till the mouth is better & the weather's friendlier!  spf:-(

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2013, 09:49:54 PM »
Your better off at home with a few paracetamol and a cup of tea  HTT:-} ..

Offline rugbypost

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2013, 05:44:55 PM »
Swept up a garden full of leaves, a few pots blown over but no damage on just had a new roof put on the shed from the last storm to pass through. Greenhouse intact but needs a good clean that can wait for a warmer day. O/h says I can wash the windows tomorrow bless her she is always thinking of me  ;)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2013, 05:47:45 PM »
. . . . O/h says I can wash the windows tomorrow bless her she is always thinking of me  ;)

cwl:-]

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2013, 08:12:03 PM »
Raked the front lawn got four bags of leaves for the allotment compost when i got to the allotment found out that yesterdays wind had blown the fence down so had to do a quick repair and will need to get over there at the weekend to repair it properly ...

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2013, 08:25:42 PM »
Raked the front lawn got four bags of leaves for the allotment compost when i got to the allotment found out that yesterdays wind had blown the fence down so had to do a quick repair and will need to get over there at the weekend to repair it properly ...

Not a happy bunny tonight then?  ss:-(

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2013, 08:35:12 PM »

Not a happy bunny tonight then?  ss:-(

Not too happy but theres people out there that have gone through worse the past couple of days with wind damage and flooding so my bit of fencing is not too bad compered to what they are going through ..

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2013, 11:05:57 PM »
VERY true . . . poor things.

Offline Tony

• Full Plot Cultivator
  • I'd rather be gardening
    • Allotment Garden
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2013, 06:34:04 PM »
Continued with the digging.  It's a new allotment with lots of perennial weeds so has to be dug. 

Added a lot of compost and shredded material.  Measured out where I am going to put the Greenhouse. 

Moved some raspberries that were heeled in and now are in the way.  I wanted to move the globe artichoke and an apple tree that were planted in the wrong place but I am not sure where I want to put them and also wanted to put some mychorrhizal fungi under their roots and I had not bought any to the allotment today. 

I will have to remember it next time I go down.   

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2013, 06:45:47 PM »
Continued with the digging.  It's a new allotment with lots of perennial weeds so has to be dug. 

Added a lot of compost and shredded material.  Measured out where I am going to put the Greenhouse. 

Moved some raspberries that were heeled in and now are in the way.  I wanted to move the globe artichoke and an apple tree that were planted in the wrong place but I am not sure where I want to put them and also wanted to put some mychorrhizal fungi under their roots and I had not bought any to the allotment today. 

I will have to remember it next time I go down.

There's something nice about a new 'project' isn't there?

I have an apple tree AND a pear tree in the wrong place - they were put in temporarily (like you heeling in your raspberries) but then got left there for a year. By now I'm not looking forward to the task of changing their lodgings!  ::)

Offline Tony

• Full Plot Cultivator
  • I'd rather be gardening
    • Allotment Garden
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2013, 06:51:27 PM »
I really don't want to damage my Ribston Pippin apple tree.  It was my first successful grafting.  The other three failed but I still have the rootstock so I will try again in Spring. 

The Ribston Pippin will have to be moved though because it is growing where the greenhouse is planned to go. 

Offline rugbypost

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2013, 06:55:27 PM »
Would love a new project  in my head I could do it all but sorry in reality I would be on my knees (HA) Blxxdy coke works good money but it has Nealy killed us all off. Did manage to pick a few nice leeks, and a swede carrots and parsnip from the shed they are well covered but do not think they will see out the month. There are a few leaves to be picked up but they can wait, bit damp today so felt a bit wheezy so home to the warmth Allotment will still be there tomorrow.  chrs:-)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2013, 07:10:16 PM »
I really don't want to damage my Ribston Pippin apple tree.  It was my first successful grafting.  The other three failed but I still have the rootstock so I will try again in Spring. 

The Ribston Pippin will have to be moved though because it is growing where the greenhouse is planned to go.

"Needs must" I suppose - life is like that sometimes! Seems to be permanently like that for me - I seem to be in constant flux! I've been on my present plot for 4 years, but three of us have possibly got a very nice new spot in mind. We'll see how it pans out between now & digging time in the spring!

Offline galina

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2013, 07:50:23 PM »
Picked broccoli and rocket.  Dashed back in where it is warm!

There are still useable apples on the ground, need to get them in, wash, quarter, take the pips out, freeze and then squeeze for apple juice.  Rake and compost the rest.