Author Topic: Lemon Grass  (Read 448 times)

Offline lottieguy

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
Lemon Grass
« on: May 21, 2014, 07:32:45 AM »
Hi Ya, I like to try different things and saw an article in a magazine refering to lemon grass. It said you can grow from seed or get stalks from a supermarket and start them going. I purchased three stalks and following the article placed them in a jar of water, just their bases, on a window sill in the kitchen. That was about 2 weeks ago. The article said it was not always successful but one stalk show root after a few days. Low and behold the other two are now showing roots. They are only very small and you are to put them in compost when a good root system has formed. Has any one tried this? were you successful? is it still growing? be interested to hear from any one who has grown it and how thye grew/grow it. Happy gardening

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Lemon Grass
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 11:52:02 AM »
I've never grown it lottieguy, but I know you can grow it in the UK, although it's not hardy and will onlly be a success outside in summer. It won't tolerate temperatures below 7oC (although there is a hardier version that they grow in Australia - don't know if it tastes the same though).

I've attached a PDF info file for you which may help.

So I'll know where to come for a bit of Thai cuisine in future!!  CW ;-)

Offline lottieguy

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 10:10:16 AM »
Hi Ya, Thanks for that BG I have printed it off for a proper read. Will let you know the progress. Happy Gardening

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 10:37:20 AM »
You're welcome my friend. Please DO let us know how you get on.  ThU:-)

Offline lottieguy

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 04:08:07 PM »
Hi Ya, well I put the lemon grass, as per instruction, in a jam jar of water and have been changing the water regulaly. I have it on the kitchen window sill but as that gets hot thinking of moving it some where cooler. It has been there just over two mweeks and they reckon on u tube it needs three to form a good mess of roots. 2 of mine did nothing for days but have now started throwing roots aswell. Not sure wether to clip the new growth back to give more into growing roots. Might clip one and see hat happens. Still I am not giving up just yet. Happy Gardening

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 12:50:14 AM »
It's a success story so far then Lottieguy! Personally I would just let it do it's thing. Why stress the plant by attacking it?   :-)snigger

Offline lottieguy

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 10:13:42 AM »
Hi Ya, I am quite pleased with how my lemon grass is progressing. I will take some photo's later and post them before and after potting up. I will give them some nice compost, Jacks Magic of course, as the garden centre I use had it on offer two bags for £8. Bargain. Happy gardening.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 12:14:09 PM »
You'll be opening a Thai restaurant next lottieguy!!  CW ;-)

That is a good price for 'Jack's Magic' if you have room to store it I'd be tempted to stock up for the spring.

I look forward to your photos - it's obviously moved on from the 'jam jar stage' then  lol(1)

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 06:23:51 PM »
All sounds interesting to me...as always it would be nice to see some pictures if you have the time, lottieguy.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline lottieguy

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 02:09:56 PM »
Hi Ya, not sure what I am doing but this will hopefully come out. I have kept them in a jamjar on the sunny window sill till now and changed the water every other day. Hopefully hey will grow on now in greenhouse. Happy Gardening

Offline lottieguy

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 02:14:36 PM »
Hi Ya, ok I blew it. I admit I am not that computor literate. Hopefully this will sort it. I tried to use the mona bit but it stopped me so I found the other way and did not realise you had to click on each seperaye occasion. Happy gardening

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 03:36:26 PM »
Be happy lottieguy - just think - you've learnt something new again today!

The Lemon Grass is looking very promising. Good strong roots there - they look almost as strong as leek roots!  :-)snigger

Offline lottieguy

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 07:10:20 AM »
Hi Ya, Now I can resize my pictures I could repost for those who see them to big. What do you think? I took your advice BG and as we were over the garden centre and Jack's was still on offer I bought two more. They are safely tucked up in my shed. So thets four and I still have my dustbin full. I empty a bag in there as it's easier to use. Happy Gardening

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 12:29:06 PM »
With the ability to resize photos and a stash of Jack's Magic ready for next season who could want for anything more!  ROL :-))

Talking of Jack's Magic, bins & photos - what I use to hold compost is a large heavy duty tray that I think was originally used as a developer bath by someone - I got it on a car boot sale for next to nothing. It sits on the staging in my polytunnel and it's perfect for potting up etc. It holds about half a bag of Jack's Magic in one go. I'll take a photo of it (suitably resized of course!) and post it on here when I get a chance.  ThU:-)

How's the lemon grass coming along lottieguy?

Offline lottieguy

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 11:15:57 AM »
Hi Ya, Well I have just potted on the lemon grass and it's been in the greenhouse since my last photo posting. I think you can really see the difference. I had to slit them as the roots where showing in the base of the pot. I was quite suprised at the fusion of roots they obviously like the treatment. Happy Gardening.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2014, 12:23:23 PM »
You've cracked it lottieguy! That stuff looks almost as healthy & virile as the couch grass on some of the neglected plots on our site!  lol(1)

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2014, 08:46:54 PM »
There looking good lottieguy  ThU5:-)

Offline lottieguy

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 01:09:39 PM »
Hi Ya, well I have got as far as I can now more research to see where I go from here. Happy Gardening

Offline Esther

• ¼ Plot Cultivator
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2015, 03:21:27 PM »
Well done with the Lemon grass !
I bought some lemongrass from the supermarket and plonked them in some compost a few years ago - I ended up with a lovely plant .Last year I split some away from the plant and got 3 baby plants - I gave 2 away and am growing the other one on

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2015, 03:41:02 PM »
Welcome to the forum Esther! Hope you enjoy meeting lots of new friends here.