Author Topic: Growing your own? You may soon be a criminal!  (Read 533 times)

Offline GCS_Forum_Administrator

• Administrator
  • ½ Plot Cultivator
  • Forum Web-master & Administrator
    • The Gardeners Chat-Shed
Growing your own? You may soon be a criminal!
« on: May 01, 2014, 07:31:35 PM »
I know it's mostly happening in America (the land of the FREE?). But as you know, when America sneezes the UK catches a cold.

As the most powerful nation on earth, even the most ludicrous developments there usually finds a way of migrating our way, due to their wealth, influence & power. The multinational (global) companies are without a doubt tightening their grip on the windpipes of people who are forced to be attached to their mechanisms of control & money fleecing. You WILL be dependent on them whether you like it or not. Whether it's the freedom to collects your own seeds to grow your own food, or your desire to uncouple from the world's economic madness - you'll be brought back into line by the laws of the nations & their legal & military forces if need be. Your crime? You want to be free to choose.

Watch this video & be afraid - be VERY afraid.

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DQHVCOT4PPw?fs=1&start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You can also watch this video - but be warned if you are sensitive to profanity then do not watch it!

I'm not a big fan of tree huggers & hippies - but when it comes to their victimisation simply because they want to sustain themselves - well that's a different matter.

This guy Lee Camp is a bit of a hyped up twit (he is American after all) but the core of what he rants about is very true & accurate. Stick with it (if you watch it) and it gets better as it goes on - he's just not very good at impressing people!

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LAVpDMy3RRA?fs=1&start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
Re: Growing your own? You may soon be a criminal!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 06:27:58 PM »
 usf:-(  That is unbelievable FINED AND JAILED for collecting rainwater wow whatever next and trying to live selfsustained that's just not on .

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 10:03:54 AM »
You do dig up some beauties, Gee.

I've gone past the speechless stage; we are trying to create our own 'garden of Eden' in our little corner of Devon, UK, The World.

Some of the hard-line Tory, Farmers lady groups do eye us with suspicion whilst secretly admiring what we do here and coming round to buy a couple of plants or some eggs. They put us into that 'Tom and Barbara', slightly unrealistic ageing hippy bracket. I think they are begrudgingly jealous, really.

We have a community near us http://www.beechhillcommunity.org.uk/ who we are friends with. They too are considered somewhat as odd-balls. They did ask us if we would like to join them but really we are happy doing what we do on our own little patch.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 12:16:19 PM »
"Jealousy is a rottenness to the bones" Tommo. Goodness knows how I've suffered through the way envy, jealousy and resentment can manifest itself as pure madness amongst those afflicted with it, especially when your achievements show others up. It also seems to go hand in hand with a perceived threat to the status of others who believe they are of a higher 'cast'. You can be hated for showing people up and highlighting their inadequacies.

Like you I'm not much of a 'commune' type Tommo - preferring to row my own little boat, but that Beech Hill community seems to be run by well intentioned folk, but not for me, or you by the sound of it. The trick is to get individual cells of families to adopt the self sufficiency concept and then have those 'cells' co-operate with each other loosely (very much like you and I and others do who have met on this forum). The problem with a commune is that whilst the goals may be common to all members, the diversity within the commune invariably tears it apart, because we can't get away from this controlled group mentality.

I often think that a good example of how to strike the right balance is to observe how things were done in communities of small farms and small holdings years ago. I grew up in a community like that, where each family did it's own thing, but in a similar and co-operative way. Each little farm would carry on it's own work, but tools, implements and labour flowed freely between neighbours, as did knowledge and skills. When someone needed help it was readily available and no money ever changed hands, it was like a 'favour' banking system. You help your neighbours and your neighbours paid back the favour by helping you when you needed them.

I wonder if we'll ever see a return to that system? I don't think the commune concept is fully workable though, and as for the money orientated independent individuals working to a selfish and greedy agenda is concerned well that's a TOTAL disaster - as we are witnessing in our modern world that's fast falling apart.

The Amish model is a good one, but badly tarnished with religious dogma and rigidity. Shame that.

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vrWOih3xKXQ?fs=1&start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>