Author Topic: Weather Update "I DON'T believe it!!"  (Read 387 times)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Weather Update "I DON'T believe it!!"
« on: February 14, 2014, 12:55:47 PM »
Squirrel's mention of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse (in another earlier post on the forum), and the latests news this morning has given me the jitters!

Today the wind has cranked up again to almost the same level as last Wednesday & it's lashing down here on the west coast.
HOWEVER - believe it or not - the little seaside village of Borth, which is just up the coast from us, has now developed another apocalyptic 'plague'.
The huge bog that lies inland from the village is - wait for it - ON FIRE!!

Large parts of Cors Fochno (Borth Bog) wetland nature reserve are on fire. One of the local residents was out on his early morning run (we have a tendency to have strange little people like that move into the more remote areas of our country),  he noticed the bog was ablaze as he jogged up from Borth to Ynyslâs in the lashing wind & rain!

It's almost as if the earth has lost patience with us & is starting to fight back!!!  what:-o

There are fire engines in attendance, but they can't do much with it. Apparently they hope to let it burn out in a controlled manner. Everyone is mystified. How on earth could a bog burst into flames in this weather? More strange still - how is it continuing to blaze?

My guess is it has something to do with methane gas escaping from the peat, BUT what provided the spark?

"Curiouser & curiouser" in Alice's words! I know Wales is the land of magic & myth but even the ancient Celts couldn't comjour up an event like this in their folklore.

Offline captainhastings

• ¾ Plot Cultivator
Re: Weather Update "I DON'T believe it!!"
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 08:18:35 PM »
Good god is all i say. As you said gas sounds like the culprit

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 08:41:45 PM »
Hard to believe after the amount of rain we have had  ..Must be gas just look at what it does to cows ..

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 09:30:19 PM »
Wow how unusual could easily have been a lightening strike with all the strange weather we been having lately.  doh:-{

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 10:57:43 PM »

lol(1)

Offline galina

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 10:12:33 AM »
It's pretty scary at the moment, but that is a new one Big G.  Very scary - please tell us when they know a cause.  Hope it doesn't cause too much damage.  Your pictures sent shivers down my spine - scary!

Offline squirrel

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 10:15:16 AM »
Oh my, I feel like Victor Meldrew and all I can think of to say is as your title
"I don't believe it"

Keep us posted BG
squirrels are often out their trees but never short of nuts.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 12:54:04 PM »
It's burnt itself out now, but it was a pretty strange sight whilst it lasted in this weather! Who's ever heard of a bog fire in pouring rain, wind & gales? Weird.

No one has said anymore about the cause, but it's pretty obvious that it wasn't deliberate, even the most accomplished arsonist with 10 gallons of petrol couldn't start a fire in this weather!  what:-{

It MUST have been a build up of methane. It often happens in summer, there's sometimes spontaneous fires through methane escaping from bogs, commonly seen as fireballs - BUT IN THE MIDDLE OF FEBRUARY? And when we're experiencing this unusually wet weather? Absolutely amazing. It wasn't just one flash of fire either it burnt for hours - just like you'd expect it to do in the middle of a dry summer. STRANGE!

Now if I believed in omens and signs (which I don't incidentally) then I'd be heading for the hills & looking for a dry cave!  cwl:-]

Offline squirrel

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 01:57:07 PM »
At least the peat is said to be unharmed as they seem to think it was just surface grass burning BG. I imagine there is a lot of methane production going on under all this water with rotting vegetation.
squirrels are often out their trees but never short of nuts.