Author Topic: Weather update  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
Re: Weather update
« Reply #140 on: February 18, 2014, 11:57:39 PM »
 CThUpD:-) Been a nice day here not to cold or windy cloudy bright but at around 13-30 it started looking a bit black over bills mothers thought we were in for it but it passed with just a little shower.  ThU32:-)

Offline Star

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #141 on: February 19, 2014, 12:14:10 AM »
Oh dear...........37ºC for us today........that's about 100ºF.  good job I will be in the A/C shopping centre.
"Young at heart".......... slightly older in other places!

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: February 19, 2014, 09:46:29 AM »
Hello star ...Dull here and a little overcast but at least it aint raining thats forcast for tomorrow ....

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #143 on: February 19, 2014, 12:04:18 PM »
Fairly sunny here but overcast first thing. There's a sea fog rolling towards the shore - we'll probably have a taste of that later & it will no doubt get cold and damp. There's also rain on the way with a strengthening wind as another weak storm blows our way from the Atlantic. You won't get the fog further east but you might catch the tail end of the front as it blows towards you in the next 24 hours. I sound like one of Job's comforters don't I?  Grin2:-)

As for you Star - happy shopping. You wouldn't catch me there with or without A/C! Shopping is pretty near the top of my 'hates' list! Hope you're out of the danger zone for those bush fires.  usf:-(

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #144 on: February 20, 2014, 06:58:49 PM »
Turned out to be a pretty good day here bit grotty looking first thing then the sun came out and was a decent day for feburary ...
Suppose to be ok tomorrow aswell so looking forward to that ...

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: February 20, 2014, 07:05:58 PM »
Not nice here this morning - not bad this aft. Gales tomorrow! Just heard it's been the wettest winter since records began (1910) in Wales. Apparently we've had TWO FEET of water fall on us since the autumn!  spf:-(

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #146 on: February 20, 2014, 07:13:00 PM »
Not nice here this morning - not bad this aft. Gales tomorrow! Just heard it's been the wettest winter since records began (1910) in Wales. Apparently we've had TWO FEET of water fall on us since the autumn!  spf:-(

Shows how bad this weather is getting used to measure rainfall  in inches now we get so much it,s in feet  usf:-(

Offline galina

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #147 on: February 21, 2014, 08:45:35 AM »

Shows how bad this weather is getting used to measure rainfall  in inches now we get so much it,s in feet  usf:-(

Yes indeed.  By comparison we used to get 20 inches or even slightly less all year here during the dry years, little enough to qualify farmers for government assistance if they wanted to build huge water stores for lifestock.  I remember being told that the rainfall in the eastern counties was actually the same as the rainfall in the Sahara.  I have about 2000 litres of water storage from water butts in the garden and several years running we were out by early May.  Cracks which appeared in the garden because of the drought were so wide, you had to be careful not to get your foot caught in them.  Soil set like concrete.  I have a manual little pump and hose for syphoning bath water into the garden.  Well that was then!  But it was actually only 3 years ago that every bit of 'lightly grey' waste water was being used for the garden and still, on occasion, we had to supplement with mains water. 

As gardeners we really have to be ready to deal with wide swings of conditions.  I am glad I am not a farmer who needs to make a living from just a few crops.  With the very wide range of different crops we gardeners can grow, there is always something that comes good, whatever the conditions.  Left's hope the weather never gets difficult enough to wipe out everything, as seems to be happening now in areas of the world that once had reliable harvests.  Having written this, I do wonder how long it takes for badly flood affected fields and allotments to recover - haven't forgotten last year's wipeout of all overwintering crops in the garden due to standing water.

Well it's a nice morning.  Just ever so slowly it feels like winter is on the wane, the days are getting longer and the winter blues are subsiding. 

Probably be snowing by lunchtime now, because  I've written that  lol(1)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 08:50:36 AM by galina »

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #148 on: February 21, 2014, 01:05:36 PM »

. . . . Just ever so slowly it feels like winter is on the wane, the days are getting longer and the winter blues are subsiding. 

Probably be snowing by lunchtime now, because  I've written that  lol(1)

I'll second that!  clap:-)

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #149 on: February 21, 2014, 03:12:23 PM »
Been a nice day here dry sunny but with a strong wind that really spoils it..    Was going to go to the allotment but dident fancy standing in the middle of the fens in it ..  So a quick walk with the dogs just around the village today ...

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #150 on: February 27, 2014, 01:16:37 PM »
And now - it's going to SNOW!  what:-o

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #151 on: February 27, 2014, 04:47:28 PM »
Had hail stones here this afternoon bright and sunny here now ... CThUpD:-)

Offline squirrel

« Reply #152 on: February 28, 2014, 11:59:03 AM »
Ice and fog first thing, but it looks like it is beginning to clear a little now.
squirrels are often out their trees but never short of nuts.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #153 on: February 28, 2014, 12:14:54 PM »
Well the snow hasn't arrived here yet, but it's dull & getting progressively colder. Apparently they've changed their tune a bit and now say it will probably appear above 300m. Here at sea level we'll probably escape it. GOOD. But it is cold - temp in single figures today - well off the magic 15oC that most plants need to feel comfortable enough to peek out! Soil temperature needs to improve quite a bit before I will even contemplate starting to prepare,

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #154 on: February 28, 2014, 02:52:35 PM »
Cold  and miserable here keeps trying to rain .....