Author Topic: What is flowering early June?  (Read 714 times)

Offline Lottylady

• Full Plot Cultivator
What is flowering early June?
« on: January 15, 2014, 07:42:03 PM »

Well sunday June 8th I will open my small south facing corner plot……what is flowering in early June?

Ive a few iris….thinking about dianthus..pinks….and have a few acquilega ……any ideas?

Also have shady side of yard. Its SW London….lots of pots, pans, sinks, old cast iron bath and chimney pots.

Offline rugbypost

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
Re: What is flowering early June?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 11:01:12 PM »
Cap is on will sort out a few for you do you want to grow from seed and your best bet is to grow Hardy annuals that will save you a lot of money and they take care of them selfs in pots and pans ThU:-)

Offline squirrel

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 02:15:38 PM »
I came across this page whilst looking for something else Nicolette, I know it is for bridal stuff, but it also shows things that flower in June

http://www.bridalguide.com/planning/david-tuteras-weddings/flowers-in-season-June

But here is a more general one for all plants that flower in June

http://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/category.cfm?month=jun

Hope it helps   HAGD :-)

squirrels are often out their trees but never short of nuts.

Offline Lottylady

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 11:50:13 AM »
Big thanx Squirrel....that is a great help.

I am held back by budget....I have a long list of seeds I wish to order but yet to be able to afford them. ...soon aye.

Was given a pot of grey gloss so door and gate were painted then added 2 shelves on front wall and have put up zinc/tin pots.....

Feel poor looking at my plastic pots but may wrap round some bamboo screen to disguise them a bit. I am up against some very big gardens...some owned by RHS folk...so a high standard expected.

Mine is made up of cuttings, plants I have found or bought at WI markets....or grown from seed. Plus seeds Ive collected by the river. I Try to aim for bee friendly plants.

Offline squirrel

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 01:41:45 PM »
I like bee friendly plants too LL and although I have gathered seeds from my Nigella, Echinacea, lupins and wallflowers and others, I am always on the lookout for bargain seeds of other pollen rich flowers, especially for the lottie. I have even been brazen enough to lift and transplant what others on site call weeds. heartease, dead nettle, clover etc and put them among my veg and at the doorway to my covered growing areas.

I hope you don't get too intimidated by those RHS neighbours Nicolette. What seeds are you after, I always have some spare, perhaps I could send you some.

Offline Lottylady

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 02:36:01 PM »
Well last year was the 50th Anniversary of our local care charity.....based by the pond.....so it was an Open Garden weekend 2-6pm.....I was expecting a few grannies...was making a cup of tea...looked up and there was a crowd in my tiny garden.....I never got to sip the tea. Hundreds turned up......I put on small bio....bee friendly nectar bar.....so a team of teachers turned up.....they have hives at school and wanted to know more....folks on bicycles....folks from other towns...japanese tourists with cameras....endless people with lots of questions. I was shattered.....never did a visitor book.....then on sunday...a few fellow Open Garden owners turned up......to look at my very small patch.....they had left the gardeners.....yes paid gardeners looking after theirs.....all in all it was a great success.

So this year just open for sunday......smaller selection and called Secret Gardens....

I have a wild...messy style.....adore insect friendly plants...invested in 3 miniature butterfly bushes.....have a few herbs...hardy geraniums...lost my olive tree in storm....any seeds will be gratefully tried out in polycarbonate greenhouse which I now have for this year.....with the grey door....zinc/tin a grey haze bit with silver leafs.....this year I will label them all as asked so many questions.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 02:58:26 PM »
I have a wild...messy style.....adore insect friendly plants...invested in 3 miniature butterfly bushes.....have a few herbs...hardy geraniums...lost my olive tree in storm....any seeds will be gratefully tried out in polycarbonate greenhouse which I now have for this year.....with the grey door....zinc/tin a grey haze bit with silver leafs.....this year I will label them all as asked so many questions.

Sounds like my kinda place!  CThUpD:-)

Offline squirrel

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 04:28:55 PM »
Wow girlie girl, you go get 'em, it sounds like it was a winner.  clap:-)

Offline Lottylady

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 08:12:00 PM »
This year I think I will add the word budget...... :-)snigger warn them....its an L shaped at front but back was concreted over for flood defences.....so pots, pans, sinks, cast iron bath, chimney pots, any pot I find...and plants rescued from skips. Bits I find by the river haul back....and seeds from there have been scattered around. Quirky was the word I heard quite a bit.

But veg is all up plot so herbs at home.....and a wildlife base in town. Oh vine at front with climbing rose. Plus I feed the birds....but it is all new to me...I meander at gardening and have never concentrated on a particular time or date....first week in June...the 8th......Im still very unsure as to what the weather will be like let alone whats flowering!!!

Oh and I got my grandads antlers out the back as well. 2 beautiful shell planters which I bought for 50p each.

I looked at your list and fell in love with a 50' tree..... ROL :-)) nn no no back to the list......oh if I had the space..... :-)snigger

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 08:26:32 PM »
Well last year was the 50th Anniversary of our local care charity.....based by the pond.....so it was an Open Garden weekend 2-6pm.....I was expecting a few grannies...was making a cup of tea...looked up and there was a crowd in my tiny garden.....I never got to sip the tea. Hundreds turned up......I put on small bio....bee friendly nectar bar.....so a team of teachers turned up.....they have hives at school and wanted to know more....folks on bicycles....folks from other towns...japanese tourists with cameras....endless people with lots of questions. I was shattered.....never did a visitor book.....then on sunday...a few fellow Open Garden owners turned up......to look at my very small patch.....they had left the gardeners.....yes paid gardeners looking after theirs.....all in all it was a great success.

So this year just open for sunday......smaller selection and called Secret Gardens....

Hope it all goes well for you lottylady dont know about hundreds of people turning up but there will be millions of insects and birds queing up to get in by the description you give ..Sounds lovely you dont need a big garden to make it beautiful sounds like you have done a great job with what you have there ....

Offline squirrel

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 11:28:05 PM »
I know what you mean about falling in love with things that grow to big for the space. Friends and neighbours have all benefitted because I rushed to buy a plant that met all my requirements but forgot to check the size.  RedFaced:-(

Offline galina

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 09:23:20 AM »
Here in the garden in early June there are loads of aquilegia and leopard's bane (doronicum) for large, yellow daisy like flowers.  They are flowering in May on the sunny side but last well into June on the shady bit near the hedge.  Primulas are still flowering in early June here, the late tulips will be over but the grape hyacinths in the shade are still nice.  Also the irises.  The Weigela bush is starting to flower in June too.  Mock orange might be flowering in a sunny position too (ours is in the shade and later).

Offline squirrel

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 11:07:09 AM »
What a picture to be painted for the middle of winter, it really makes me look forward to all that colour coming back

Offline Lottylady

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 08:30:52 PM »
Just been out with torch and checked my Iris.....not sure what colours...but Ive collected a few from old gardens. Got a few acquilegas.....but have a plan to ask my auntie as she has lots to send me some in post.

One of the kind RHS judges...has offered to help with plants and cuttings from her greenhouse. I think she is a botanist as she is off in South Africa looking at wild flowers.

Lodger came home with 6 zinc/tin pots perfect for front shelves at front of house. The shelf supports are Crapper supports...the original plumber.....but they are of a cherub with ribbons....beautiful.

My hollyhocks are showing through...seeds originally from Lady Sterns gardens at Highdown Hill Worthing...they always put on a show but later in the year.

The bulbs are sprouting up.....so I suppose after those ...they are the gaps that will need filling.

The beauty of gardening is the surprises we've forgotten about that pop up.....tho.....have a small xmas tree, box, bay, ivies, honeysuckle, clematis and a few other climbers at back.

Its ever-changing and why I love it so...forever learning. Big thanx for all your ideas. A great help.

Offline squirrel

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 11:34:44 PM »
Sounds really nice and in the true spirit of us allotment holders it is great to hear about your wonderful recycling efforts. I hopw you will bless us with some photos later as your garden progresses LL

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 12:14:18 AM »
Yep - there's a whole empty gallery - just for you - waiting patiently!

Offline squirrel

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 10:51:46 PM »
Scary just pointed out the pic you posted LL and your plot looks a little wet my love.  usf:-(

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 11:19:01 PM »
Scary just pointed out the pic you posted LL and your plot looks a little wet my love.  usf:-(

I'll second that that's going to take some drying out LL hope it does not last for too long else it'll kill all the worms and life in soil  usf:-(

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 12:32:39 AM »
I haven't taken any photos of my plot during these last few months (too cold & miserable to bother). But to give you an idea here's a photo from June last year - it's about 50% worse than this at the moment!  spf:-(

Offline squirrel

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 08:45:43 AM »
Oh my! When I see pictures like these it makes me grateful that my plot slopes and is on sandy soil.

The only area I had that stood water was in the bottom left hand corner. I raised it with sand enclosed with timber and put my sheds on it with a paved patio. Solved the problem and gave me a place to sit and contemplate  Zzz1 :-].