Author Topic: Disappearing Honey Bees, Insects & Birds. Why?  (Read 750 times)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Disappearing Honey Bees, Insects & Birds. Why?
« on: October 30, 2013, 06:05:31 PM »
Here are a couple of disturbing videos on the big problem of disappearing honey bees. They're both American based, but the problem is just as widespread in the UK, Europe & parts of Asia. In other words in virtually all the developed countries the world over

Here's the first:

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dY7iATJVCso?fs=1&start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No 2:

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/M_XnvZAcM0U?fs=1&start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No. 3

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CeOxzzm6sZs?fs=1&start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No. 4.

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/i97o0slqv-s?fs=1&start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is sobering stuff. Have you noticed the decline in pollinators over the last few years? If so let's hear your views.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 05:03:39 PM by Big Gee »

Offline rugbypost

Re: Disappearing Honey Bees. Why?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 07:05:45 PM »
Was looking on Preloved adds last night and there was a man giving away his bee keeping equipment he is from Caerphilly there loads of Free items for gardeners  to many item to put down  type in ( preloved on home page look for your location and all the items that are not wanted or will cost you a few pounds on there this may help a lot of young gardeners starting off with there tools) ThU5:-)

Offline squirrel

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 01:38:26 PM »
It's worrying that the bees are having such a hard time and hope that they can agree as to what's wrong before it's too late.
squirrels are often out their trees but never short of nuts.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 01:56:48 PM »
It's worrying that the bees are having such a hard time and hope that they can agree as to what's wrong before it's too late.

I think we all know what's to blame. Neonicotinoids & monoculture - both brought about by the supermarkets' demands on growers & their insatiable greed to make money from unwary & ignorant food shoppers!

AT LAST the governments of the EU have been forced (screaming and kicking) to adopt policies to reduce and do away with neonicotinoids. Trouble is the Monsantos & Bayers of this world are as strong if not stronger (globally) than individual governments who are enticed by their money & lobbying powers.

Einstein once mused that if all the honey bees in the world disappeared then man would also disappear about four years later! He was probably right because two thirds of the fruit & veg we put in our mouths is wholly dependent on these pollinators. A VERY sobering thought!

Offline Tony

• Full Plot Cultivator
  • I'd rather be gardening
    • Allotment Garden
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 12:47:53 AM »
I have noticed the lack of pollinators this year.  Noticeably fewer insects all around. 

I remember turning over stones on the old bomb sites in London when I was little and finding a whole world of creepy crawlies.  I can't do that nowadays.   Until recently you could hear nature humm in June and July.  I  miss that most of all. 

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 12:52:39 AM »
I have noticed the lack of pollinators this year.  Noticeably fewer insects all around. 

I remember turning over stones on the old bomb sites in London when I was little and finding a whole world of creepy crawlies.  I can't do that nowadays.   Until recently you could hear nature humm in June and July.  I  miss that most of all.

Snap! I miss that too - summer was an orchestra of insect & bird sounds. It's a lot quieter now isn't it? Some put the reduction this year down to the bad weather last year, but there's a lot more to it than that I fear.

I was brought up on a small holding in the country - the place was alive with meadow sounds in those days, it's more like a graveyard now.

Offline squirrel

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 01:41:19 AM »
Nor do we see the vast flocks of birds following the tractors as they plough.

Here is a video taken from a BBC documentary programme sometime ago.

It really does have some sobering warnings and it was this that kicked my previously half hearted, butt into trying to do things differently at home and on the allotment.

The video is called
Farm for the Future

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 04:44:48 PM »
Not just bees that's disappearing is it? AWESOME video squirrel!

We've taken a bad wrong turning way back haven't we? This video reminds me so much of my childhood days - the surroundings are almost identical. I even remember loose hay being harvested using horses (I was very small at the time I have to point out!). I can still remember the small farm next to ours still using their shires (Lock & Flower) to bring in the hay. I can also remember loose hay in hayricks being cut by hand by my father. I'd better stop there - I can feel a bad bout of nostalgia coming on . . !  ss:-(

So who will know what to do when the 'precious'oil runs out - that now dominates every aspect of our life?

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 06:26:23 PM »
 usf:-( That video is brilliant and very worrying too but reinforces what that guy in the video I have posted about the no dig allotment it all makes sense YOU HAVE GOT TO HAVE LIVING SOIL NOT DEAD SOIL. We need all the insects and plants as they all play a part in the overall process.
I have posted the video in" Allotment & gardening books and magazines after Squirrell's post. G It might be a good idea to put this in another new topic along the lines of "Natural gardening techniques or something similar ( as you better at english than me mate) or The way gardening will have to be when the oil has gone!!

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 08:24:44 PM »
Good idea Dave - I'll have a think about that.  HTT:-}

Offline GCS_Forum_Administrator

• Administrator
  • ½ Plot Cultivator
  • Forum Web-master & Administrator
    • The Gardeners Chat-Shed
Re: Disappearing Honey Bees, Insects & Birds. Why?
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 11:23:38 PM »
As you can see Dave I've moved this Topic from the "Bees & Beekeeping" board to here.
I've also copied your original post about the 'No Dig' method here as well. Here it is below.

Hi Squirrel I have just taken a look at that website and found this video I think it is a brilliant way of doing the plot I might be changing my ways now.
Take a look at this Video.

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 11:50:35 PM »
Hi all I have found another good video with a slightly different approach to the no dig theme which does seem to work take a peek see what you think.

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kXcC0rVhkF0?fs=1&start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 01:32:00 AM by Big Gee »

Offline Tony

• Full Plot Cultivator
  • I'd rather be gardening
    • Allotment Garden
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 11:22:25 PM »
This video describes the lasagne technique.  Not too sure that this is labour free especially as four people were helping to make it. 

Shows you that plants will grow regardless of what we do to the poor things. 

Every time I use mulches with transplanted seedlings they are devastated by slugs. 

Offline squirrel

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 12:36:41 AM »
I have just got sound back and could therefore finally watch the videos about bees (I saw the Farm for the future one some time ago)

It is very worrying that there is all this research pointing to the multiple reason why bee colonies may be collapsing but the powers that be are taking the same approach as they did with tobacco smoking, mad cow disease, and so many other 'so calles' scare mongering that evenutally turned out to be true.

It just makes me more determined to keep providing little pollen and nectar hot spots and to keep planting mixed beds with flowers along or among them.

I am not finding it easy to throw away almost 70yrs of learning and change my thinking, but I do keep trying and information like this keeps kicking me back onto my chosen path when old habits creep back in.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 10:53:53 AM »
I'm with you all the way squirrel. Good post, it probably reflects the way many of us feel as we get older & can usually see things a bit more clearly because of our life's journey. The ironic thing is the more these things come into focus & the more steamed up we get about them the older and more feeble we get when it comes to the energy needed to fight it.  Isn't life a 'bitch'?

If I had the energy I possessed at 18 coupled to the knowledge I have at 60 I could be a far more formidable animal!  ss:-(