Author Topic: Is food grown in plastic containers safe?  (Read 408 times)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Is food grown in plastic containers safe?
« on: January 02, 2014, 12:08:29 AM »
Apparently Some gardeners fear that growing vegetables or herbs in plastic containers (bottles, pots, buckets and the like) could be dangerous because of the supposed leaching of Bisphenol A (BPA), and the “possibility” that this leached BPA could be absorbed by the plants, rendering them  “toxic” for human consumption.

I don't want to be a scaremongerer but I think you should all read this:

http://desertification.wordpress.com/2013/02/23/can-food-crops-be-grown-safely-in-plastic-containers-willem-van-cotthem/

Offline squirrel

Re: Is food grown in plastic containers safe?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 10:49:12 AM »
I think this is one to read, re-read and inwardly digest
There has been some worry about this for many years now
squirrels are often out their trees but never short of nuts.

Offline rugbypost

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 07:18:49 PM »
 >:(That was a good read Gwilym it opened my eyes to a lot about plastic water bottles , and container grow veg.

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 07:24:05 PM »
I think this is one to read, re-read and inwardly digest
There has been some worry about this for many years now

Agree with what squirrel said ...Never know what,s  safe now when it comes to eating and drinking ..

Offline Tony

• Full Plot Cultivator
  • I'd rather be gardening
    • Allotment Garden
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 11:16:42 PM »
Phthalates are used as plasticizers in PVC plastics. 
They are not chemically bound to the plastic so they can leach, migrate or evaporate into air, foodstuffs or other materials.  These chemicals are everywhere and can be found in water.  Humans can be affected by ingestion, inhalation or through the skin. 

Phthalates can affect the hormones in your body because they mimic estrogens so may have some effect on reproduction.  Children seem to be more at risk than adults.

If they have this effect on people what effect are they having on the soil population of microorganisms, the insects, and other wildlife? 
I remove all plastics from the allotment. 

Whether I use polycarbonate panels on the greenhouse remains a difficult question. 

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 11:40:41 PM »
That business with mimicking eostrogen. I remember seeing a documentary years ago that discovered fish that lived around plastic outlets were predominantly female & that the sperm count in males was drastically reduced. That of course is a real recipe for disaster when you start tampering with the natural male/ femal balance in nature. A nightmare scenario. Apparently all the modern PVC piping used in waste pipes is leaching so much Phthalates into our natural water supplies and even into the sea, that it's a huge problem that is quietly festering in our environment.

Apparently some scientists are also very concerned that in areas where waste water is recycled (like they do from the Thames) then the effect is having a drastic effect on the fertility of humans. Little wonder there are so many 'metro' males in circulation these days that don't shave. I'm glad I was brought up on well water!!

It really is no mystery why we are riddled with diseases in the western world - we're just poisoning ourselves silly, and if we don't succumb to cancer then we'll die out because we'll no longer be able to breed!  what:-o

Offline Tony

• Full Plot Cultivator
    • Allotment Garden
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 12:02:49 AM »
They say that Thames water has gone through at least three people before it reaches London. 

I had a dog a while ago that would not drink London water when we went down there to visit family.  Had to take bottled water.   ss:-(

Offline squirrel

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 12:20:40 AM »
My dogs do not like drinking water if it has been in plastic bottles for any length of time. Once it has gone warm they wont touch it and would rather drink from a muddy puddle.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 12:21:51 PM »
With a nose that's apparently 10,000 times more sensitive than ours they can probably detect 'nasties' that we can't. Our dog used to prefer to go out to drink from rain water puddles than water from the tap. If he was still here he wouldn't go short in this weather!! We used to collect water for him, because he would just turn his nose up at anything from the tap.

Offline squirrel

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 10:17:18 PM »
With a nose that's apparently 10,000 times more sensitive than ours they can probably detect 'nasties' that we can't. Our dog used to prefer to go out to drink from rain water puddles than water from the tap. If he was still here he wouldn't go short in this weather!! We used to collect water for him, because he would just turn his nose up at anything from the tap.

Our water is naturally filtered through sandstone and stored underground so it is icy cold even in a heat wave. . They seem not to like water from other areas so much but even here I have to run it from a fast tap to empty the pipes and give air bubbles before they happily drink it.

Offline Tony

• Full Plot Cultivator
    • Allotment Garden
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 12:23:00 AM »
Leave them with the puddles Squirrel.  Bit of clean dirt didn't do anyone any harm.

Offline squirrel

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 11:47:33 AM »
Big problem here Tony is that we are an area that has had the seasonal canine disease whereby dogs have become very seriously ill, very fast and some have died. As they don't know what is causing it, we have been advised to try to stop them from drinking from puddles in case it is spores or algae that are the culprit.

I can't stop them but I do try to discourage it as much as I can without getting too stressed by it all.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 05:45:17 PM »
Hmm - interesting that. My plot is by a river that has a lot of dog owners walking by on the footpath between the allotment site & the river. Many let their dogs go into the river in hot weather. Last summer (2013) quite a few dog owners noticed their dogs had diarrhea & sickness. The local vet thought it was something like algae that may be contaminating the river water & the dogs were being affected because they were drinking that water to quench their thirst in the summer heat. I'm not convinced. Far more likely to be a microbe that was being passed on in the water from dog to dog I reckon - but there again, perhaps the vet would tell me to get on with my gardening & leave the sick dog diagnosis to him!  what:-{

Offline squirrel

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 11:00:26 PM »
They are really puzzled by this BG and there are a lot of differing viewpoints.

Some dogs have taken ill suddenly and had to be carried out of the forest. They do say time is important and diarrhoea and sickness is one of the symptoms

http://www.aht.org.uk/sci

So far reports only suggest a few areas but maybe there are more.