Author Topic: The Organoponicos Revolution!  (Read 801 times)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
The Organoponicos Revolution!
« on: December 27, 2013, 01:24:49 PM »
Never heard of it? It's an urban organic crop growing revolution that's been pioneered in Cuba (where else - it's the home of revolution!).

On a more serious note it's THE example of the way forward in a progressively oil famished world that will eventually see many more of us having to re evaluate our relationship with the soil in order to feed the world's ever increasing hungry mouths.

Think about this - in Cuba 8% of the island's land adequately feeds 90% of the island's population. By contrast 95% of fruit and 50% of vegetables eaten in the UK are imported. Londoners alone eat 400,000 tonnes of food every year. Apart from tea, coffee & bananas, most of the food we import can be grown in Britain. About 60% of Greater London is green space. Cities are potentially highly sustainable. So it hasn't all got to be doom & gloom.

"All people interested in food systems that are socially just, environmentally sustainable & economically viable, should pay close attention to the current policy in Cuba" - Peter Rosset.

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JIWsxo5nNgg?fs=1&start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's Monty Don's view on the Organoponicos:

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jRz34Dee7XY?fs=1&start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
Re: The Organoponicos Revolution!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 02:25:52 PM »
 clap:-) Absolutely marvelous that is really showing the way forward. It would make people really appreciate food AND cut down on food waste and change the attitude that says  I WILL NIP TO SUPERMARKET AND BUY ANOTHER ONE. I think it would be hard to start off with but then as more and more people got involved, more importantly YOUNG PEOPLE it would be a good social thing and give everyone a MEANINGFULL JOB with great rewards at the end of it namely GOOD WHOLESOME HEALTHY FOOD.  ThU32:-)

Offline Tony

• Full Plot Cultivator
  • I'd rather be gardening
    • Allotment Garden
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 05:47:47 PM »
 ThU32:-)

Offline uriel 13

• ¼ Plot Cultivator
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 12:56:02 AM »
Hi Big Gee,
                 I have watched these Video's before and was having a chuckle to myself about how much healthier the people of Cuba are having been ostracised by the USA. They went back to basics and started growing their own food using compost and organic methods. They became inventors and found ways of making all broken things work again. Their health service is mostly herbal and homoeopathic medicine and their athletes are among the worlds best.

We could take a leaf out of their book as in how to survive without our modern prepackaged meals and chemical medicines and make people healthier!!!
"The mind is like a parachute, its totally useless unless its open"

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 06:39:34 AM »
Wonderful, yes, I've seen it before. This is the essence of true sustainable living and is one we strive for on our humble little small holding down in sunny Deb'n. OK, so we buy bananas, pineapples and other exotic fruit, but we do it by taking partially damaged, unsaleable, glut foods from local grocers and process, freeze or dehydrate the edible parts before giving the residue to the pigs, chickens or compost heap. I would say that 95% of our food is produced by us! right here! and done organically! too.

I think, now that you have reminded me of it, I will include organoponicos into our next WI talk.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 08:55:06 AM »
I was a fan of Ché Guevara, Raúl Castro, Camilo Cienfuegos & Fidel Castro before the Ché Guevara poster became an obligatory wall covering for student flats! Long live the July 26 movement!

If people peeled away the hideously negative propaganda (blatant lies in other words - fuelled mostly by the US) that's been spewed out about this little jewel in the Carribean then they would have their eyes opened to how we really should be conducting our affairs.

It's the nearest thing we have in the world to equal status, principle and common sense.

Cuba ranks high in metrics of health and education, with a high Human Development Index of 0.780 as of 2013. According to data it presents to the United Nations, Cuba was the only nation in the world in 2006 that met the World Wide Fund for Nature's definition of sustainable development, with an ecological footprint of less than 1.8 hectares per capita, 1.5 hectares, and a Human Development Index of over 0.855.

They provide two thirds of the Drs & training for the World Health Organization (WHO), their education system is one of the best in the world. All because of the principles of the revolutionary leaders, where health, education & a roof over everyone's head was the priority. They are scoffed at by the likes of the US & the UK for their poverty, they may not have money but they have other riches in abundance. The infant mortality rate for the whole of Cuba is lower than Washington DC. Every married family in Cuba is provided with a house free of charge - so no mortgage. No tossing & turning in your bed at night worrying that if you lose your job and can't pay your mortgage you'll lose the roof over your head! I know which system I would prefer to live under.

Long live Cuba - long live the Organoponicos!
CThUpD:-)

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 12:11:03 PM »
And they've got the Buena Vista Social Club....add that to a good Cervesa and what more do you need!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 12:31:38 PM »
Saw them live at the Sheffield City Hall a few years back - a fantastic sound! Doesn't Gloria Estefan also come from Cuba?

wonky.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 11:10:05 PM »
Yep - born in Cuba a year before the revolution ended in 1958. Although she was born in Cuba she's not my flavour of true Cubans, she's what's called a 'Cuban-born American' - tainted sadly!  One that was lost to the capitalist mad house! what:-o