Author Topic: Plums over producing so branches breaking  (Read 83 times)

Offline woteverufink

• ¼ Plot Cultivator
Plums over producing so branches breaking
« on: June 05, 2018, 09:31:47 AM »
I have a young Victoria plum tree which is over producing fruit , to the extent that the branches are breaking.
I have cut off the broken branches cleanly to avoid infection and thinned out the bunches of fruit [which resemble grapes in density] so what else can I do. Advice will be much appreciated.
                                                                                                          Roly

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Plums over producing so branches breaking
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 07:25:18 PM »
It's a common problem when growing conditions are particularly good.

Plums are particularly prone to over-cropping, so thinning is vital. Heavily laden branches may need additional support with stakes and/or ties even after thinning to prevent them breaking. Use your thumb and forefinger to remove fruit to leave one fruit every 5-8cm (2-3in), or a pair of fruits every 15cm (6in) woteverufink.

Many healthy fruit trees drop fruit naturally in early summer in what is known as the 'June drop' it often happens with apples. Where a heavy crop has set, too many fruitlets may remain on the branches, resulting in a final crop of disappointingly small fruits. Deliberate thinning of the fruitlets produces better-sized, ripe and healthy fruits, albeit in smaller numbers.

Fruit thinning may be necessary on a range of tree fruit including apples, pears, plums, peaches and nectarines.

I hope that helps!