Author Topic: seed potatoes  (Read 267 times)

Offline spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
seed potatoes
« on: February 08, 2018, 08:04:23 AM »
 do any of you out there cut your seed potatoes in half ?
do you think it harms the crop?
when do you cut yours if at all?
just before planting ?
when you set them up chitting ?

why all the questions from some one who grows potatoes every year , the seed potatoes are getting so expensive  RedFaced:-(

Spuds (mick Ford)
is that the kettle I hear boiling
Newton Abbot Sunny Devon ( most times!)

Online scary crow

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
Re: seed potatoes
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 08:31:09 PM »
Hello spuds i dont cut my seed spuds but there is people that do we have one at our site thats cuts them and seems to do ok with them i always thought that it may encourage disease to get into the tubers ..  What price do they charge for seed spuds in your neck of the woods ?   we go to a seed spuds sale near to us they charge £1.30 a kilo there
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:41:50 PM by scary crow »

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 08:46:32 PM »
I have bought a potato growing kit as I have not got the allotment anymore.

It is, 3 30 litre pots with first earlies, mids and lates.

Will grow them in the patio area at home now that I am growing at home.

They reckon you should get a good crop from them I will keep you posted how it goes.

Offline spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 08:54:02 AM »
Hello spuds i dont cut my seed spuds but there is people that do we have one at our site thats cuts them and seems to do ok with them i always thought that it may encourage disease to get into the tubers ..  What price do they charge for seed spuds in your neck of the woods ?   we go to a seed spuds sale near to us they charge £1.30 a kilo there

£2.75 for two kilo from wilko
Spuds (mick Ford)

Online scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 08:53:50 PM »
Well we went to the spud sale saturday it was busy as normal got our spuds all we need now is for the weather to improve  .. 

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 05:45:58 AM »
It's not an ideal thing to do.

When you cut a tuber in half, and plant it in soil, there is a higher risk of bacterial and fungal infection. That's why nature gave them a skin.

The tuber - like a bulb - is an energy reserve for the plant. Cut it in half and you reduce the store of energy needed to initially grow. They will grow, but not with the vigour of a tuber placed whole in the ground for sowing. You can get away with it, but it's not an ideal practice

Offline spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 07:32:48 AM »
I never did cut the spuds in the end , have been digging my early spuds for two weeks now    ThU32:-)
have had lots of problems with carrot and parsnip seed this year nether wanted to germinate 

its good to hear from you BG hope all the family is ok and yourself
Spuds (mick Ford)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 06:02:37 PM »
Thanks Mick. I'm crawling out of my black hole, but very slowly. I've had a rough time of it with my health and that led to a bad period of despair and depression - losing my mate Rob (Poppa Tommo) didn't help, at the time I was too ill to go to his funeral. As I explained to Scary last night, I've been finding it hard to face or communicate with anyone for months. This good weather is helping, but the core problem with this Behcet's disease I suffer with is that it will never go away, unless they find a miraculous cure, and that won't happen soon because it's so rare.

The Umbellifer family are notoriously stubborn germinators (parsnip, carrot, parsley etc.). The trick is don't plant them in over wet and cold soil. They take so long to come to life that they often rot in the ground. That's why I've never followed the logic of the old brigade who insist on sowing them in February!