Author Topic: Welcome Visitor  (Read 795 times)

Offline lottieguy

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
Welcome Visitor
« on: November 11, 2016, 09:39:33 AM »
Hi Ya, A couple of weeks ago I was talking to the lady on the next plot, who happens to just around the corner, ans she was telling me about her hedgehog living in her partly overgrown garden. It seems a family of them as she puts out proper food for them every night and watches them feed though the patio door. I asked if my grand children could visit and watch them feed which she agreed to and they went round and loved the visit. I had started making a hedgehog box at work but my eyes have delayed its progress some what. I asked if she would like to use it and she jumped at the chance. Within 3 days it was inhabited and that pleased me and her. I have also benefited as the other night my dogs went mad barking at the patio door and low there was a large hedgehog walking across the patio. Quite often the dogs would stir at night and I wonder if this is the reason. As my wife mentioned to me and I had not really noticed but we seem to have a lot less slugs about the garden now and wonder if my hedgehog mate is the reason. Talking to my immediate neighbours they said the hedgehog wanders in their garden as well. When we had the fence done I made sure their was access for them to get back and forth and its really paying off I think. I wonder now how much territory a hedgehog family will cover now. More research needed. Needless to say I am chuffed to bits. Happy Days   ThU32:-)

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
Re: Welcome Visitor
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 07:41:39 AM »
Excellent for you.

I haven't actually seen any hedgehogs in my patch so I don't know if we have any. They are so good at slug removal perhaps I ought to try and get some.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 09:25:28 AM »
 check this out Tommo http://www.devonwildlifecentre.co.uk/hedgehog-rescue.html
I think you can get hedgehogs from them  HAGD :-)
Spuds (mick Ford)
is that the kettle I hear boiling
Newton Abbot Sunny Devon ( most times!)

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 07:14:58 PM »
Seen a few hedgehogs around the village when i take the dogs for there nightime walk never seen any at the allotment thoughi suppose they are there im  just not there when it,s time for them to come out .. There numbers have dropped over the years due to several different reasons ... 

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 08:19:38 AM »
check this out Tommo http://www.devonwildlifecentre.co.uk/hedgehog-rescue.html
I think you can get hedgehogs from them  HAGD :-)

Thank Mick...looks like I'm going to fit 2 visits in together
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing