Author Topic: Almost black is the new Purple  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
Almost black is the new Purple
« on: October 03, 2016, 08:41:59 AM »
for anyone following my interest in developing on the uniquely purple APS down in my mostly isolated spot on Zunny Deb'n you may be interested in knowing that I have been selecting only the 'purplest' and longest (most seeds per pod) pods for my own growing stock. The hope is that we breed out any 'greenies, that appear in a row of beans.

This year we have been beset by rabbits. After 2 disastrous starts where the little buggers enjoyed APS salads for tea, I managed to build the Devon version of BEAN FORT KNOX!

This being the case, the last of my reserved seed have managed to give me a crop. Late and small, admittedly, but still big enough to produce enough for this year's seed bank.

The bean pods produced out of some 30 plants are of an excellent deep, deep purple, almost heading towards blackish purple, even on younger pods. There is no loss of that sweetness or crispness that we have come to associate with the APS variety, which is good. I have only 2 'greenies' this year and it's a bit late, now,  to prevent any cross pollination as few flowers are being produced as we head into October.

I must remind myself to space the canes further apart next year so the plants don't entwine their neighbours. It's the Devils own job trying to follow the vines of the 'greenies' to remove them when they are all interlaced.

As usual I will be selecting out only the purplest and longest for next year and I will keep a couple of dozen for producing Gee's seed bank for next year. All of the rest I will be handing over to Gee so get your orders in to him,  not me.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline aftermidnight

• Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
Re: Almost black is the new Purple
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 03:33:37 PM »
Tommo, I grew my APS  this year from the seed you sent me, not a greenie in the bunch and all the pods were the deep black purple you describe. Nobody in the neighborhood were growing runners this year so I shouldn't have any crosses :).

Annette

Offline Poppa Tommo

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 09:30:30 PM »
Tommo, I grew my APS  this year from the seed you sent me, not a greenie in the bunch and all the pods were the deep black purple you describe. Nobody in the neighborhood were growing runners this year so I shouldn't have any crosses :) .

Annette

I always love results like these. Well done. I hope you treat all your neighbours to pure strain APS's

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 10:25:39 PM »
Makes an old man's heart sing! Never mind Santa's little helpers, these are Gee's little helpers! And Gee is sitting here with a big smile on his face, a big white beard and a Santa mid drift - soaking up the pleasure of seeing my Aeron Purple Stars developing into a REAL show stopper. Thank you folks - especially you Tommo - without you I would have been snookered this season.

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 11:13:52 PM »
Nice one Annette Canadian APS's bet they taste good too  ThU32:-)

Offline aftermidnight

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 12:13:41 AM »
Gee, do you ever dig and store the roots over winter? One of the fellows I gave some of your APS's  to dug some very large tuberous roots and he's going to try storing them over the winter. Here's the link to the Aeron Purple Star thread I started on Garden Web, scroll to the bottom to see the roots he dug.  Maybe when you're up to it you could respond with a comment or two.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2005669/aeron-purple-star?n=42

He did get a few greenies this year but I just sent him some more seed from the APS's Tommo sent me, all the pods were that gorgeous dark chocolaty purple for me this year  :).

Hope your eye surgery has improved, such a bummer when you have complications.

Annette

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 08:07:55 AM »
I've posted a response on the 'gardenweb' forum Annette.

Yes I have tried it, after all they are perennials, BUT only with limited success. In their native environment they grow OK I assume, but in less temperate areas digging them up (to protect them from frost - because frost kills them) seems to retard their vigour.

Whilst the ones I lifted and then planted out again the following spring did grow back, the harvest was very inferior. I suppose they don't appreciate the disturbance. When sown as an annual, their first season is their best - regrowing after that for further seasons I don't think is practical. Besides, growing them from seed is far easier than replanting root-balls. However, to maintain purity, replanting guarantees the same genetic replication, because the crop will be identical each season.

'Bummer' is an understatement Annette. It's been a bit of a horror show, but things are getting better, due in part to the steroid treatment and further steroidal drops every hour! The op was fine - no complaints there - but the complication is my misfiring immune system.  ss:-(

Thanks for your concern - it's nice to hear that someone cares - even if they are half a world away!!  CW ;-)

XK

Offline Poppa Tommo

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 08:45:30 AM »

|

Rob Waterhouse
Hi Annette here is a copy I've posted on the Gardenweb.

Yep - this year we have had a real rabbit problem. After two 'just when you think you've built the final barrier' attempts I managed to keep the buggers out at the third attempt. This resulted in a late and greatly reduced seed stock. I only managed to produce about 650 seeds, which is less than a quarter of the amount I send to Big Gee. Usually I keep that amount for myself as I grow and sell 6 cell trays in the late spring. Next year I have only kept 40 for my seed stock and non to grow on and sell. I have, though kept the very best, slimline, deep, deep purple ones.
I know that Big Gee has had a lot of request so if you want some get your orders in early.
On the over wintering of the roots/tubers: I have tried this a couple of time (with tomatoes too) with limited success. Any APS that made it ( and you really have to mollycoddle them, even more than dahlias ) didn't have vigour and, compared to the freshly seeded ones next to them, really were not worth the effort. Plus, having to absolutely guarantee a frost free environment is so much more complicated than simply popping a seed into a 3" pot in the spring.
With the tomatoes, which are also perennial, I left them in the ground, double fleeced them with a large plastic bell jar and monitored them for sign of growth. They didn't do too badly as, with tomatoes, you can lay-root them which then produces a new, vigorous plant.
Honestly, though, I did it more out of curiosity than a serious mode of propagation. Seeds are so much easier.

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 10:19:20 AM »
Gee, do you ever dig and store the roots over winter? One of the fellows I gave some of your APS's  to dug some very large tuberous roots and he's going to try storing them over the winter. Here's the link to the Aeron Purple Star thread I started on Garden Web, scroll to the bottom to see the roots he dug.  Maybe when you're up to it you could respond with a comment or two.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2005669/aeron-purple-star?n=42

He did get a few greenies this year but I just sent him some more seed from the APS's Tommo sent me, all the pods were that gorgeous dark chocolaty purple for me this year  :).

Hope your eye surgery has improved, such a bummer when you have complications.

Annette

Thanks for that Annette I took a peek at the site very good site you got there.
Some interesting stuff on there.
Keep up the good work.  Grin2:-)

Offline aftermidnight

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 03:25:37 PM »
You guys have probably found them but there's a separate forum for just about anything on GW
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/  It's the only place so far I have found one strictly pertaining to Legumes, and like here a great bunch of folks hang out on it, although a few seemed to have faded away when Houzz took over.  Great one on growing tomatoes, one on veggie gardening, one strictly on alliums, the list goes on.

Well maybe one exception  lol(1). Several  people were trying to help this person with a problem she was having with her peas, she kept coming back with comments that were a little abrupt to say the least and then in my mind she became very rude. So I jumped in with a shame on you against my better judgement but I just couldn't help myself >:D.

"Mimi, I usually don't respond to threads where someone for whatever reason comes across as rude I try to ignore them and let them fade away, but shame on you... Floral is a great asset to this and the other forums she participates in, the wealth of her knowledge has helped many of us solve a problem no-one else has been able to.

Well, she told me off along with a couple of others...

"You remind me of a flock of ducks I once had who, when a duck who was not part of the flock flew onto their pond by accident, pecked the poor thing to death."
All this and more aimed at people just trying to help her with her problem. So watch it guys it seems I'm armed with a lethal weapon :-)snigger.
Annette

Offline Poppa Tommo

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 04:14:25 PM »
Hilarious but sad at the same time that one of our kind can't find appropriate means of communication without rubbing everyone else up the wrong way.

Still, it so of life generally and if you delved back into the archives of the Chat Shed you will find the corridors littered with the weird and wonderful to the downright bizarre. From the seductresses to one who had his death reported and for whom we still don't know if it was true. Well there you have it.

You could make a soap about the individuals of the Gardeners Chat-shed Forum....it would rival Coronation Street or Neighbours any day.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 11:32:49 PM »
So true Tommo - the saga involving my old allotment site could fill a book on it's own. In fact it got so heavy and complicated I gave up writing about it on here! In fact the saga still goes on - it's now moved on from the madness of the National Trust to a real 'Alice in Wonderland' realm, involving the local town (Parish) council. Only today I put in a Freedom of Information request to the County Council, because the land they have been licensing out to the asylum inmates for the last eight years appears to be unregistered land according to a land Registry search!

One day, when I'm really old and stuck in a wheelchair, I'll write the script and get it published. Reality really IS stranger than fiction.