Author Topic: Today..............  (Read 926 times)

toptaff

Today..............
« on: September 18, 2016, 03:51:54 PM »
My box hedging -that I've grown on from cuttings and nurtured for 6 years- has fallen prey to the dreaded box blight.
Foolishly,back in the spring I said something along the lines of  "Cor! Look at that,it actually looks like a hedge now. Once it's had a trim,it'll look great" Famous last words,and all that.....
So ~ today it has had another spraying with a fungicide,and a feed of liquid seaweed. It looks bl**dy awful where the really ill parts had to be excised but some of it is showing signs of recovery, even the stumps of the bits that were cut right back are making new shoots so...you never know.It might survive!
Also, I cut a variegated elder right down to 18"  stumps,hacked back the rampant buddleia,deadheaded the  dahlias and the hibiscus,turned the compost,cleaned out the chooks &  cleared away some rather sad pansies.
Now,it's time for a brew & a bicky!

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Today..............
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 08:50:12 PM »
My box hedging -that I've grown on from cuttings and nurtured for 6 years- has fallen prey to the dreaded box blight.
Foolishly,back in the spring I said something along the lines of  "Cor! Look at that,it actually looks like a hedge now. Once it's had a trim,it'll look great" Famous last words,and all that.....
So ~ today it has had another spraying with a fungicide,and a feed of liquid seaweed. It looks bl**dy awful where the really ill parts had to be excised but some of it is showing signs of recovery, even the stumps of the bits that were cut right back are making new shoots so...you never know.It might survive!
Also, I cut a variegated elder right down to 18"  stumps,hacked back the rampant buddleia,deadheaded the  dahlias and the hibiscus,turned the compost,cleaned out the chooks &  cleared away some rather sad pansies.
Now,it's time for a brew & a bicky!

OH NO! The dreaded Box Blight!  spf:-(

It's Sod's Law. Two years ago, I happened to say to the other half "that Clematis really loves it's spot there - it's one of the nicest Dr. Ruppel's I've ever seen". That was the curse - next spring it just wilted! It disappeared altogether, so we sadly bade it 'goodbye'. Here's a pic of it two years ago:

Then the miracle, this spring we noticed a little growing tip coming out of the stump (good job we'd been too lazy to dig it out). Now it's almost back to the top of the arch. It's had four flowers on it in the last month, and only tonight I noticed another ten buds! Fingers crossed it makes the winter and starts to thicken out next year. I hope your box hedging does the same. Fingers crossed, and in future 'mum's the word'!

I bet your secateurs were red hot after all that clearing up today  CW ;-)

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 09:06:35 PM »
usf:-( My Clematis do not survive more than a year here where I live now, at my other house they were very long lasting and full of flowers.
Dunno Why?

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 08:11:06 AM »
I find they tend to do one of two things Dave, they either grow spectacularly or they struggle. Three rules of thumb:

1. They are greedy plants, keep them well away from competition, and ensure they are very well fed. Pot grown plants don't do so well.
2. Keep the roots cool and always damp. Mulch well.
3. Make sure the variety you grow is at the right aspect, some need a south facing spot, others may need a north facing spot.

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 10:27:08 AM »
I take it that in there normal habitat they grow in a wood or forest with their roots in the shade of the trees hence the climbing habit then climb up on of the trees to the sunlight. Nice cool roots under the fallen leaves of autumn. Mmm got to mimmick that at home.   doh:-{

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 06:45:14 PM »
When they like their spot they are hard to beat. Clematis isn't called the 'Queen of Climbers' for nothing! The big thing for them is dampness they are waterholics, but at the same time don't like waterlogged conditions. They need constant moisture.

I'm not sure if they are a natural woodland plant, as they quite enjoy full sun (especially the south facing aspect ones). neither do they require an overly acidic soil - as you tend to get in woodland soil.

Interesting that you should mention them climbing trees. The best displays I've sseen of them is when they grow through bushes & hedges. Nasturtiums look good when they do that as well.

Check out this link: http://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/

One of the best Clematis nurseries I've come across and they have a brilliant catalogue.

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 09:46:48 PM »
Thanks for that Gee the link good will have to buy one off em. Could be a soil problem as I am on clay the whole area including allotment is clay, just my luck.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 10:05:50 PM »
No probs Dave.

By the way that picture of the Dr Ruppel I uploaded was growing on clay!

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 10:41:05 PM »
That Dr. Ruppel look gorgeous, Gee.

When we bought this house 7 years ago we inherited a large pot with a sort of spindly tree in it. In our first summer 2 different clematis - one white, one blue climbed up the spindly tree and gave us a couple of flowers each.

Every year they do the same. Never been fed, just watered. I keep saying to Ruth that I should set them free in the garden but she always says that she wants to keep them in the same pot. I know better than interfere with her hundreds of pots and urns so I just shrug my shoulders and wait for them to die.

Each year, though it's another couple of flowers. How they survive this poor treatment I'll never know.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 11:34:58 PM »
Thanks Tommo. I'm afraid that at the moment it would just about compete with your potted pair!  lol(1)

They are survivors and will struggle for years half alive with just the odd few flowers. Give them their freedom, lots of goodness and a moist spot and they'll rocket away and pay you back a hundred fold.

In fact what I said was a bit misleading, it wasn't a 'curse' or a mystery. We're pretty sure that it was a meeting with a strimmer cord that put pay to ours. But, it didn't give up, and it's on it's way back by the looks of it! Tell Ruth to stop being cruel and give them what they want.

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 08:44:58 AM »
Ah, now. There's the thing.

If I over-rule TLR and give the pot bound clematis what they want...she probably won't give me what I want CW ;-)

I must learn some new diplomacy skills.

I once heard that ...diplomacy is the art of letting someone else have YOUR OWN WAY

Certainly, when Ruth wants my opinion SHE GIVES IT TO ME,
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 09:16:09 AM »
 lol(1) Sounds familiar - it's a woman thing!