• Your FEEDBACK 3 1
Currently:  

Author Topic: Your FEEDBACK  (Read 5085 times)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Your FEEDBACK
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2014, 12:31:21 AM »
Well this is sounding very good! 100%, 100% germination rates so far - can't be bad eh?  CW ;-)

Offline rugbypost

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2014, 06:48:21 PM »
Same here B/G all up and looking strong have done 60 plants with 60 to go oldies love a few beans  the buggers are knocking the door like out of a Shrek movie ARE THEY READY YET.  (lol)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2014, 12:24:49 AM »
Did I give you 60 APS beans Mike?!!!  what:-{

Or do you mean that the APS I gave you have a 100% germination rate & you have others as well?

You watch those 'Wrinklys' they can be cicious when hungry!!!!  Nothing will stand between them and their beans  ROL :-))

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2014, 07:30:20 AM »
Only sowed mine 4 days ago and they are just begining to break the surface. I'm only growing Purple Star myself on my plot, there is no one within half a mile or more growing runners so I should be ok for true varietal returns on the seeds. Although, bees will forage up to 2 miles so I suppose there is always a possibility. Having said that , runners are honeybees least favourite and that, coupled with the fact that honeybees don't come into contact with the pollen of beans (they bore a small hole a the base of the flower to extract the nectar as they can't open the flower and their tongues aren't long enough).

Can you tell me if they will cross with climbing french beans BG.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2014, 12:44:31 PM »
It's always a risk - but in all honesty quite a low one. I've noticed that the greatest number of runners will set from pollen in the same row. In THEORY bees COULD carry pollen from miles away but they seldom do.

Have no fear on the French beans front. They will NOT cross pollinate with runners. In fact most French beans are self pollinating - hence the holy grail of breeders for years has been the possibility of getting a true cross breed in order to make runners self pollinating, but to my knowledge no one has successfully pulled it off - a bit like tigons & ligers - not quite genetically close enough to freely cross.

Offline marcofez

• ¼ Plot Cultivator
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2014, 12:21:25 PM »
Sowed my seeds on the 25th April. Wait with baited breath for their emergence!!! ThU:-)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2014, 05:48:20 PM »
Don't forget to get back & tell me the good news when they appear marcofez! They're fast - but not QUITE fast enough to appear in two days!!!  cmu:-)

Be sure to let me know the germination rate - it's been 100% with everyone so far - so I'm trying to keep the record going  ThU:-)

Offline rugbypost

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2014, 09:17:22 PM »
Hi B/G no I had 18 beans off you 3 are going for seed the rest are in a row of White Lady germination was great am looking forward to trying them. Whats it like with you weather here still very cold for sowing seeds outside most are in the greenhouse in trays. Dog still going strong she is like a 2 year old and eating tin and a half of food a day  (HA) Hope everyone is well on site I look in everyday for a read but not getting from the allotment until late  we have a game of cards 5s and 3s in the afternoon then home for a row of Meryl for doing to much  (ha) will message you this week for all the gossip.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2014, 10:44:00 PM »
Hi B/G no I had 18 beans off you 3 are going for seed the rest are in a row of White Lady germination was great am looking forward to trying them. Whats it like with you weather here still very cold for sowing seeds outside most are in the greenhouse in trays. Dog still going strong she is like a 2 year old and eating tin and a half of food a day  (HA) Hope everyone is well on site I look in everyday for a read but not getting from the allotment until late  we have a game of cards 5s and 3s in the afternoon then home for a row of Meryl for doing to much  (ha) will message you this week for all the gossip.

That's great Mike - I'm really chuffed with the germination rates, now see how vigourous they are alongside the White Lady. You are going to be gob smacked - ask Dave what his were like last year!  CW ;-)

You're going to have to get those two fingers working Mike! No good 'lurking' in the shadows just reading. We miss you.

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2014, 11:51:50 AM »
My 13 APS were put in pots (Jacks Magic) on 18th April and of this morning the first 3 are just beginning to break through the surface - looking good!!  ThU32:-)

My neighbour who has the other 12 seeds wont be setting his for another couple of weeks yet but will keep you posted when he does.

wonky.

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2014, 07:28:59 AM »
17/17 for me, so well pleased.

I know you sent me 18, BG, but I dropped one somewhere....3 days ago I found it at the bottom of the stairs so I gave it to my mate Pete who has an allotment in Birmingham.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2014, 11:21:08 AM »
BRILLIANT! That 100% germination rate is holding fast. You must be confident - sending ONE bean all the way to Birngham for your mate!!!  lol(1)

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2014, 07:09:12 PM »
 cwl:-] Not more AP's in Birmingham  ThU32:-)  Not Birngham  :-\

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2014, 12:01:25 AM »
cwl:-] Not more AP's in Birmingham  ThU32:-)  Not Birngham  :-\

Sorry Dave - a small glitch in the communication circuit between forefinger & grey matter cells!  Blush:-(

Offline Btoe

• ¾ Plot Cultivator
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2014, 10:59:11 AM »
Hi Gee, I have 12 seeds from you, 10 came through and one has since died, strange as the others are up about 6-7" just now but sign of other two. I think the other plotholders are planting beans as well so might have problems. I did think about taking them home  to grow in pots to grow in isolation but when you see the size they grow to sort of shrinks the garden a goodly bit. How would you be able to tell if they have cross pollinated, would you see it in the saved seeds or next years crops? Cheers

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2014, 12:58:57 PM »
Oh dear my 100% germination rate record has gone then! It was only yesterday that Phil - one of my lottie mates told me that every single one of the ones I'd given him were up as well.

When beans cross pollinate there is nothing outwardly different to see in the pods or beans produced in the pod by the parent - however the bean itself holds the secret in it's genes. When IT germinates the following season & grows, it will develop into a plant that has a mixture of the genes carried through from it's parents. If you had a daughter and she became pregnant you would not know whether the father was a Swede or an African until the baby is born!

The only way you can tell is by what's produced next year from the beans you save this year. Don't have nightmares over it though - the majority of the flowers you produce will have been pollinated from a flower close by, so obviously you're more likely to have beans from the strain you are growing BUT there is always the risk that a bee or other pollinating insect may carry pollen from a neighboring grower's bean flowers before it lands on yours.

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2014, 01:30:36 PM »
A bit of better news then G - all my 13 seeds have now germinated so its mostly 100 percenters!!  chrs:-)

wonky.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2014, 01:56:22 PM »
A bit of better news then G - all my 13 seeds have now germinated so its mostly 100 percenters!!  chrs:-)

wonky.

Offline spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2014, 07:10:30 PM »
my APS  have been set free today , yes planted out could not wait any longer they were getting to big
also out today white lady  runner beans, French beans , and curly kale can't beat a nice bit of kale
picked some "spring cabbage" yesterday to go with the Sunday roast  went down honey sweet  ThU432:-)

also been very busy in the greenhouse potting on my flower plants for summer display
made up 8 hanging baskets they will stay in greenhouse for a while yet
now time to open the bottle got a nice  drop of red

Spuds (mick Ford)
is that the kettle I hear boiling
Newton Abbot Sunny Devon ( most times!)

Offline Btoe

• ¾ Plot Cultivator
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2014, 10:31:34 PM »
Gee, That's my APS planted out today as they were getting too big. I lost one out of the 12 so good going for me with the Jacks Magic, so far big healthy plants. Thanks again Eric  clap:-)