Author Topic: The WEATHER where you are TODAY  (Read 25078 times)

Offline lottieguy

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
Re: The WEATHER where you are TODAY
« Reply #2080 on: June 02, 2018, 11:15:14 AM »
Hi, Well they have been telling us we are getting thunder and rain etc but so far nothing, I see some area's suffering flash floods and torrential downpours. I was out with the watering can last evening, oh wrong thread sorry, I am going to a Bar B Que this afternoon so it's bound to rain then, sods law ain't it.

Offline aftermidnight

• Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
« Reply #2081 on: June 02, 2018, 04:20:46 PM »
A little on the cool side here, it keeps teasing us with a drop or two of rain. I wish the sky would open up and let go, it's been awhile and we could do with a good days worth of rain. Glad to see the shed is up and running again  ThU32:-).

Annette

Offline lottieguy

« Reply #2082 on: June 14, 2018, 09:13:10 AM »
Hi Ya, Well things are a bit drastic here, I know we are in the driest part of the UK but nothing so far all month. The grass is brown and we are watering like mad. There have been downpours and flooding with thunder and lightening in different areas and we have had nothing it has all passed us by. They said we will get a bit of rain from Storm Henry this morning but looking out of the window the sun is shining and it's very warm.  I suppose we will suffer before long, Happy gardening

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2083 on: June 14, 2018, 10:39:01 PM »
Same here lottieguy everything is dry as a witches titty ..  It,s so dry i have even beaten the weeds this year .. Looked like it was going to rain here early this morning dark and windy but the sun broke through the cloud and it turned out to be yet another warm dry day  so had no choice but to water so out came the pump can fill a 45 gallon barrel in about 2 minutes so the plot got a good soaking think i could here the plants give a sigh of relief when they see the water coming .. Heres a picture of the pump 2 inch bore powered by a 3hp briggs and stratton engine so plot soaked and all barrels filled ..

Offline lottieguy

« Reply #2084 on: June 16, 2018, 09:13:59 AM »
Hi Ya, That is some pump. I tend to be a little more quieter and use a caravan water pump that is run off a car battery that is charged by a solar panel. I only pump a short distance from one butt to another then the butts further up the plot are linked by gravity in the form of  syphons. Whoops this is the weather, it's quite full this thread perhaps we could run a new one from now. Any way the sun is shining here and the temprature is rising. I am in he greenhouse potting up tommies into the border and it's getting quite warm. I will kick a new thread off later under tooling and show my pump and water set up. Cheers

Offline aftermidnight

« Reply #2085 on: June 16, 2018, 03:20:11 PM »
Still the same ol' same ol' here. mostly dull days and haven't had a good rain just a bit of spotting.
We have watering restrictions May through September, watering every second day for a couple of hours in the morning, a couple of hours in the evening. I have several large water barrels placed around the yard, a couple I have to fill with the hose the others are under downspouts collecting water from roofs, one is a double job, when it fills it starts flowing into the one beside it,
We are thinking about a pump to transfer rain water from one barrel to the next so looking forward to seeing your water setup lottieguy.

Annette

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2086 on: June 17, 2018, 10:24:54 PM »
Watching  the weather on countryfile it looks like there is no rain for us looks like the temperture is going to increase ..

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2087 on: June 20, 2018, 08:54:08 PM »
Still dry here not had a drop of rain and watching the weather this evening there saying could be the driest june since records began  ..   Think most of the growers on our site have used up there stored water and there all reporting bad germination and slow growth i,ve never known it this bad last year was dry but nothing like what we are getting this year ..  It,s the 20th june and i,ve had nowt from my plot yet my cucumber plants dont look much bigger than the day i planted them out several weeks ago  suppose i will have to eat a lot more meat this season because i wont be turning veggie ..

Offline lottieguy

« Reply #2088 on: June 25, 2018, 02:38:11 PM »
Hi, Being a weather watcher I have kept a record of rain fall in my back garden. Now we live in the driest place in the UK but tomorrow if it doesn't rain that will be 4 weeks with no rain, we have had a shower but not enough to wet any thing just a few drops and then nothing. It is roasting again today all my water butts in the garden are empty all 8, The last rain we had to record was 29 May and was 0.05" at that was it. I have seen other places have floods. Oh well we will get loads when it starts. Some are saying we could do with a good downpour but I say a steady fall as the ground is so dry the grass is brown. Still my allotment has some water left as unlike here with the greenhouse I only water every 5 or so. Happy Days

Offline aftermidnight

« Reply #2089 on: June 25, 2018, 04:25:37 PM »
 Along with thunder and lightning we had  fulla day of rain here yesterday. A welcome relief after a long dry hot spell. The air smells lovely and fresh this morning.

Annette

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2090 on: June 25, 2018, 09:33:50 PM »
Still bone dry here not had a drop from the sky another very hot day today and there saying it,s going to get hotter . Think the pump will be making another apperance this week ..

Offline lottieguy

« Reply #2091 on: July 02, 2018, 11:31:42 AM »
Hi Ya, Very hot and sunny here. Been away for three days and left someone to water for me. Mistake took me an hour to sort all out. Tomorrow will see us 5 weeks and no rain, nothing, I have used all 8 water butts and filled them from the tap 3 times to get the waster warmed up. I find it hard to believe a whole month of June and no measurable rainfall. I am watering the plot every 3 days and the water in my butts is decreasing rapidly. We have dip tanks but I am not to keen on them as you don't know what others have been dipping or the soil disease they have which will was off into the tanks. All this lack of water and still I see people washing cars, why? Oh well can't win them all.

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2092 on: July 04, 2018, 09:23:07 PM »
Still hot and sunny here out with the pump tomorrow to give the plot a good soaking it could do with that a couple of times a week really ...Been to the plot today for a hour to have a bit of a weed about even the weeds are on a go slow think as it,s so slow this year i might even begin drawing something i dont normally do until the winter time when its quiet on the plot ..

Offline lottieguy

« Reply #2093 on: July 15, 2018, 01:27:12 PM »
Hi Ya, the weather is scorchio, no rain and reached 30 degrees C. To hot for me, we have been warned that rain is unlikely for another month and we are in our 7th week with no rain already. I have 20 water butts on the plot and I am quickly running out. I only water every 3/4 days so those who water every day must be using gallons. I do give mine a good soaking and always in the early evening. The picture is of my path and so dry. Hope you all are ok.

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2094 on: July 16, 2018, 09:14:25 PM »
Heard tonight on the tv weather that theres no rain likely where we are for the rest of this month ... Large cracks in the ground here the farmers have the rain guns pumping water across the fields ..  Think the local wildlife is struggling as the ground is so hard and most of the worms and insects are well below ground level at the moment ..

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2095 on: July 20, 2018, 12:43:09 AM »
Still hot and sunny here and very sticky at night struggling to sleep .. alls well on the plot at the moment ..

Offline lottieguy

« Reply #2096 on: July 20, 2018, 08:27:09 AM »
Hi Ya, We were warned that thunder is on the way today on yesterdays forecast and I thought good I will be able to do some planting out at the weekend as I have been holding back. Greens and leeks to plant, they even said slow moving storms with heavy rain and a yellow warning. Same here hot and difficult to sleep properly. This morning they are saying not everyone will get it and it will probably stay further west of us and miss us completely. The warning has been dropped as well. So it is looking unlikely for us to get some respite as the heat builds over the weekend and into next week. Mind you when it does rain it will probably forget to stop and as the ground is so dry floods as the water runs off and can't be soaked up so quickly, can't win can we. "0 water butts and only 3 left, getting bad I will have to use the community dip tanks and I dislike them. Never mind I still enjoy the hobby and it gives me some thing to moan about. LOL

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2097 on: July 20, 2018, 09:44:15 PM »
Raining here since about 7pm a decent amount aswell thought it was just going to be a few spots weatherman saying it should last until midnight ..   Hope you get some lottyguy  ..

Offline spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #2098 on: July 21, 2018, 07:44:59 AM »
yeppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee have had a drop of rain over night
cloudy but clearing now 7.45am
Spuds (mick Ford)
is that the kettle I hear boiling
Newton Abbot Sunny Devon ( most times!)

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2099 on: July 23, 2018, 09:47:24 PM »
watching this evenings weather report on the tv there saying it could reach 35 this week today has been unbearable here we still have the doors and windows open and the fans running at 9,45 pm .. Went to the plot today and watered a few things as we wont be able to tomorrow as I have a appointment at the hospital and cannot cancel it ...  Hows everyone else coping in this heat ? ..