Author Topic: freezer full  (Read 295 times)

Offline wrinkly1

• ½ Plot Cultivator
freezer full
« on: August 21, 2015, 07:48:39 PM »
i have spent all week picking and freezing my aeron beans..every day for a week. and still they keep coming.i have enough for all winter.all off 12 beans. now a question for you all. i,ve never saved beans before for the next year. do you leave them on the stalk till dry or remove and keep at home. till dry. cheers wrinkly1 RedFaced:-(

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
Re: freezer full
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 10:59:02 PM »
Good to hear that the APS have done so well for you and your really happy with the way they just keep producing Big GEE will be over joyed to hear that he has another happy customer ...  If you want to save seed you need to leave the pods to dry on the bush then when fully dried remove the beans and further dry them indoors the only problem you may have is they may not come true next year as they could have cross pollinated with other beans grown near you ...

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: freezer full
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 12:48:24 AM »
Good to hear that the APS have done so well for you and your really happy with the way they just keep producing Big GEE will be over joyed to hear that he has another happy customer ...  If you want to save seed you need to leave the pods to dry on the bush then when fully dried remove the beans and further dry them indoors the only problem you may have is they may not come true next year as they could have cross pollinated with other beans grown near you ...

Yes I am overjoyed! It's one of the few pleasures I get these days! I've also had a spontaneous "chest swell" from the comments the nurses at the hospital have made about the Aeron Purple Stars that they shared between them after I took a crateful in for them a few days ago.

I think the corvoid has pretty much got it spot on there Wrinkly1 (clever birds those crows!). The only thing I would add is that IF we get a particularly stinking wet autumn another method is to pull the whole plant up and then hang it upside down somewhere dry and airy. The pods an be picked and 'shelled' after the pods turn light brown and become feathery. The trick is then to keep the beans in a cool and damp free environment until you plant them next spring. The fridge, in an airtight sandwich box, is perfect! Although I don't do that because my fridge is not big enough for me & 'her indoors'! I sent out about 3000 beans between last autumn and this spring - a tad too many to stick in the fridge  lol(1)

What Scary said about cross pollination is also important, if you don't grow them in isolation, or go to the trouble of hand pollinating the plants that you want for seed, then there's a good chance you'll get the odd 'greenie' next year (even if they were saved from a purple pod), because those runners are notoriously promiscuous!