Author Topic: Ulstergirl's Mystery Plant  (Read 328 times)

Offline Ulstergirl

• ¼ Plot Cultivator
Ulstergirl's Mystery Plant
« on: August 17, 2015, 12:27:46 PM »
Thank you one and all for your friendly welcome, it is some time since I was involved in a forum.  So many questions - where to start is the problem lol !  One of my first would be to post a picture of a plant I am trying to identify.  I am forever planting things and losing their labels.  This was rescued from my "Deaths Row" - in other words, an area of the garden I put plants that are dead/dying or had their day.  Or quite often, plants that are finicky, temperamental or just plain hard to grow, - you can tell - I am not the most patient person to take up gardening !  However many a plant has been put on the Row waiting to be put in the bin and have come back to life when I forgot to throw them out.  This was one such plant, I think it grows from a tuber type thing or a rhizome thingy - my ignorance showing here folks !  Anyhoo, if anyone has a clue what it could be I would be grateful.    Apologies for my cat Rocky getting in shot, typical !

Regards from a dull and unpromising weather wise Co. Antrim

Offline aftermidnight

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
    • Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
Re: Re: Hi from N. Ireland
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 02:48:19 PM »
Hi Ulstergirl,
 Nice looking plant, I haven't grown it myself but your plant looks like Agapanthus africanus (Dwarf Lily of the Nile) compare with the variety 'Peter Pan', it looks like it has very successfully escaped from death row:). A plant that goes dormant in the winter and is marginally hardy here so many grow them in containers and put them in a frost proof place for the winter.
Annette

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Re: Hi from N. Ireland
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 10:37:45 PM »
Yes it definitely looks like Agapanthus africanus.

Nicely spotted Annette!  clap:-)

Here's another photo, for comparison. It looks very much like your "mystery plant" Ulstergirl.

You can get more info on it from here:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/details?plantid=4367

Offline Ulstergirl

• ¼ Plot Cultivator
Re: Ulstergirl's Mystery Plant
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 07:31:16 PM »
Well done you people !  I recognize the name now and remember buying it.  Glad too to know that it will die back and flower again next year.  I like it cos it is so unusual with tall slender stems - wish I had as many of them as in the big picture though.  Will I get the same number of blooms next year ?  Thanks once again for your help.    My latest "baby" is a blue hydrangea - Ive always wanted one and am will be looking after this one.  I will keep mine in a pot though so I can control the Ph level of the soil that is so critical for keeping the blue colour.  Would also like an acid lime green one - cool !

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 11:29:19 PM »
Just glad we could help Ulstergirl! Little tasks like that keep away the boredom when our 'brothers & sisters' on this forum go quiet!!  lol(1)

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 07:20:30 AM »
Agapanthus are lovely. We have a couple deep, deep blue ones here.  They love being jammed in pots as their rootboundness really encourages them to flower.

They are perfectly adapted to more arid conditions and are now actually considered an invasive weed in parts of Australia. A word of caution though, in our sometimes inclement weather they can die. Particularly if the roots in the pots get frosted. They hate the frost. I take mine into the greenhouse each autumn before the frosts get to them.

I suppose over in the far West you might be ok if you don't get deep frosts. I know when we lived in Cornwall there was a grower who had a field full of cutting agapanthus that always came through the winters. I see that the picture that Gee put up shows then in a border next o a house. That's a good place as the border will get some warmth from the shelter so won't be affected too much by the average frost. I grow my Canna Lilies near the house wall on a south facing aspect.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 07:27:28 AM by Poppa Tommo »
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 04:57:00 PM »
Here's a snap of our two at the end of Ruth's Kennels Offic Chalet

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 07:43:38 PM »
A couple of miles from us in Hoyland, South Yorkshire is the Hoyland Plant Centre. They are National Collection Holders of Agapanthus and Tulbaghia. Their website is http://somethingforthegarden.co.uk/ for anyone wanting more information and or plants.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 11:47:31 PM »
Gorgeous examples Tommo ThU5:-)

Looks like the place to go Wonky!