Author Topic: Gina's APS  (Read 337 times)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Gina's APS
« on: August 12, 2015, 06:19:54 PM »
I got a lovely bit of feedback from one of my Aeron Purple Star growers today. Here's a copy:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:    Aeron Purple Star
Date:    Wed, 12 Aug 2015 15:30:21 +0100
To:    Big Gee <gwilym@aeronvale-allotments.org.uk>

Hi there,  the photo doesnt do them justice but I wanted to show you just how great they are.  I am absolutely delighted with them.  Many thanks Gina (Plot 13 Colchester Ave Allotments, Cardiff)

-------- On 12/08/2015 05:57 PM, Gwilym (Aeron Vale Allotment Society) wrote: ---------

Hi Gina!

That's absolutely wonderful. When I get reports like that about my beans my happiness levels go up by about ten notches.

I'm SO pleased for you. I bet the other allotmenteers on your site haven't seen purple podded runner beans before

If it's OK with you, can I post a copy of your e-mail on my Gardeners Chat-Shed Forum?

Would you also like to post a 'review/ report' on my feedback page? If you do just click on this button:

THANKS Gina.

All the best -

G.

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
Re: Gina's APS
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 07:31:38 AM »
How lovely, well done you. Fine looking specimens too, I say. Win a prize in any village veg' show.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 09:59:34 AM »
 clap:-) Absolutely great news, they not only LOOK great but TASTE great too well done another tick in the big book  Grin2:-)

Offline wrinkly1

• ½ Plot Cultivator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 03:00:50 PM »
well done. my own are now going purple. to the surprise of my neighbours. taste lovely also. clap:-)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 12:18:17 AM »
It's surprising how many growers write to me saying that the beans are wonderful - but green not purple! This is usually because they don't understand that all the APS beans start life off as green, but then gradually turn maroon and eventually when nearing maturity they turn a deep purple.

I guess it's their fear that unless they eat "baby" beans they run the risk of getting strings. The APS beans are truly stringless and can be left to mature to a later stage than many other runners. Ah well I suppose it takes time for the penny to drop in all quarters!

I'm glad you've allowed yours the chance to show their true colours Wrinkly1  CW ;-)