Author Topic: Wowzers :)  (Read 1063 times)

Offline aftermidnight

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
    • Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
Wowzers :)
« on: June 06, 2015, 06:08:47 PM »
Last night when I was out dragging the hose around ( supposed to hit 30º C tomorrow :'( , I hate it when it gets this hot) I could hardly believe my eyes my Aeron Purple Stars are starting to flower. Most of the vines have reached the top of the trellis but I would like to see a bit more foliage to support the amount of flowers they are starting to produce, what are your thoughts on giving them a bit of fish fertilizer? I never expected them to be flowering this soon. I laid down a good depth of compost before planting them so their roots are in some good stuff.

Annette

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
Re: Wowzers :)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 08:57:55 PM »
Hi Annette I have never given them an extra feed as they always prove to be very vigorous growers in the 3 years I have been growing them do not know whether Gee would feed tho.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 11:05:04 PM »
I grow mine on a prepared bed that starts life off as a trench semi filled with manure and composted garden/ kitchen waste, with layers of newspaper (to retain moisture), they are also mulched liberally with grass clippings. I've never felt a need to give them any extra feed. However, if you are noticing a lot of flowers with less foliage than anticipated, I would suggest that a Nitrogen rich feed might help things.

My guess is that the foliage will catch up - it's very early days, and as long as they are not flowering due to stress, I would sit back & observe for a few weeks.

I've seen them produce wonderfully on very impoverished soils (not all gardeners are as heavy handed with manure as some of us!), and invariably they turn out OK. So I wouldn't worry too much just yet Annette.  ThU:-)

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 08:09:00 AM »
Mine produced few leaves in the beginning compared to flowers but they soon caught up. That was the first time I'd grown them. This year is the same; long stringy vines with few leaves. Last year, at first I thought there was something wrong but they turned out just fine. Mine have only had a light dressing of fertiliser but the our soil here retains moisture quite well and I feed them once a week on comfrey home brew. Works treat.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline dimogga

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 09:16:02 AM »
I have got some more comfrey tea brewing :-)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 11:20:33 AM »
This does seem to be a characteristic of the Aeron Purple Star beans. They have a tendency to rush to get to the top of the poles and to produce flowers very early, and often without producing what you would expect to be sufficient leaf foliage. However the foliage does catch up and it will eventually cover your plants with leaves. As I said previously, unless they are obviously stressed and producing flowers due to stress I'm sure you'll have nothing to worry about. I've had these observations reported back to me by many growers, they fear there's something wrong, when in fact it's quite natural for this variety of mine to behave like that.

Offline aftermidnight

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 04:28:03 PM »
I've never seen a runner produce flowers they way Aeron Purple Star does, it's almost mind boggling. We've been going through a hot spell very unusual for June here, June is usually cool and wet, temps in the high 80's are not the norm. It has cooled down some, really nice and comfortable this morning. With the hot weather I'm expecting the flowers to drop but on the off change I've been hitting them with a spray  from the hose, I've heard this helps the pollination.
We are on level 2 water restrictions starting on the 15th, this has never happened before, I hope this is not going to be an ongoing thing due to climate change, but it has been said we are heading towards a more Mediterranean type of climate.
Houses with odd numbers (us) can water on Thursdays and Sundays but not between the hours of 10am and 4pm. We can still water with a handheld watering device with a shut off any day but again not between the hours of 10 and 4. If it goes to level 3, that a new set of regs. I'm sure glad we got all our rain barrels set up and they are all full, these will be used for hand watering if things get really tough later on.
Annette

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 07:02:09 PM »
I've never seen a runner produce flowers they way Aeron Purple Star does, it's almost mind boggling. We've been going through a hot spell very unusual for June here, June is usually cool and wet, temps in the high 80's are not the norm. It has cooled down some, really nice and comfortable this morning. With the hot weather I'm expecting the flowers to drop but on the off change I've been hitting them with a spray  from the hose, I've heard this helps the pollination.
We are on level 2 water restrictions starting on the 15th, this has never happened before, I hope this is not going to be an ongoing thing due to climate change, but it has been said we are heading towards a more Mediterranean type of climate.
Houses with odd numbers (us) can water on Thursdays and Sundays but not between the hours of 10am and 4pm. We can still water with a handheld watering device with a shut off any day but again not between the hours of 10 and 4. If it goes to level 3, that a new set of regs. I'm sure glad we got all our rain barrels set up and they are all full, these will be used for hand watering if things get really tough later on.
Annette
Looks like we all having strange unseasonal weather, the weather here is not like one would normally have this time of year. Thats tough the problem with your water.
Hope you can survive this rough patch.

Offline aftermidnight

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 04:46:08 AM »
 Grin2:-) I've got beans forming, even in all the heat, usually runners drop their flowers when it gets this hot here. Spritzing them down with the hose might have helped but I'm thinking these Aeron Purple Stars can take anything old mother nature throws at them. Can hardly wait for that first taste, steamed with a little butter, pepper and just a tiny bit of salt,  or maybe some bacon bits with a drizzling of bacon fat, oh heck we'll have em both ways YUM!!!

Annette

Offline Poppa Tommo

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 10:13:17 AM »
Perhaps we should have a 'How Do You Eat Yours' section on the APS page.

Lightly steamed and sautéed and added into an omelet is lovely.

Definitely julienned into a salad is great, they are so tender, crisp and sweet like that.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 11:08:56 AM »
Grin2:-) I've got beans forming, even in all the heat, usually runners drop their flowers when it gets this hot here. Spritzing them down with the hose might have helped but I'm thinking these Aeron Purple Stars can take anything old mother nature throws at them. Can hardly wait for that first taste, steamed with a little butter, pepper and just a tiny bit of salt,  or maybe some bacon bits with a drizzling of bacon fat, oh heck we'll have em both ways YUM!!!

Annette

I can't begin to tell you how proud it makes me feel when I get reports like that Annette! It's a wonderful feeling of satisfaction - it's what life is all about.

They seem to be real survivors under the most harsh of conditions for runners. Although bred with pod colour,  taste, stringlessness and vigour foremost in mind, they seem to have other hidden attributes that are more by accident than intention. It just seems to gets better & better   HTT:-}

Offline aftermidnight

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 09:12:00 PM »
I've been harvesting the dried pods for awhile now, I noticed there were a few bean pods that didn't turn purple but stayed green, I take it one shouldn't save seed from these pods? It's a little to late to eat as green beans so maybe cook them as shellies?

Annette

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 12:28:35 AM »
I've been harvesting the dried pods for awhile now, I noticed there were a few bean pods that didn't turn purple but stayed green, I take it one shouldn't save seed from these pods? It's a little to late to eat as green beans so maybe cook them as shellies?

Annette

That's unusual Annette. The only explanation I can give is that a 'rogue' cross pollinated bean got included in the beans I sent you. I have to tediously hand pollinate my beans because there are other varieties within about threequarters of a mile of my crops. That's the reason why I depend on Tommo to grow my core stock for distribution, because he is totally isolated on his small holding with no fear of cross pollination, and as he does not grow any other variety of runner beans now, my 'babies' are safe in his hands.

From now on the only bean seeds that will be sent to growers will be from Tommo's 'pedigree' stock - they are less likely to be contaminated than mine - although ironically I bred them!

As for just saving seeds from purple pods. unfortunately the 'mother' pod is like a pregnant woman - regardless of her skin colour the offspring could be a different colour, depending on the colour of the baby's daddy! If you are within range of a foraging bumble bee that drifts in with pollen from a different variety, the beans developed inside the purple pods could in fact be a cross pollinated offspring.

Offline aftermidnight

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 02:15:33 AM »
Gee, I don't think the ones I'm growing this year will cross as the only other person growing runners in the surrounding neighborhood is also growing APS's I saw to that :). I think the APS I'm growing this year are from Tommo, could be just my growing conditions this summer. I should have been more observant, whether the green pods were all on the same plant or on the plants that also produce purple pods.

Annette

Offline Poppa Tommo

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 07:11:49 AM »
When I had my first ones from Gee, I reported about 3 plants producing green pods. As he says, he couldn't guarantee the provenance because of the proximity of the competition at his end.

What I did then was to   Weed out and destroy the 'greenies'...and remove any developed pods below that level and give them to the pigs. That hurt because they looked lovely.

I  saved seed from all the purples from there on, so there is outside chance, but a chance nonetheless, that there was still the odd 'greenie' seed.

This year they seem to be all coming purple, of different shades and at different rates. I will be saving the purplest, straightest, longest ones for my seed stock this year and will continue to select in this way each subsequent season. Mine have still remained, stringless and sweet despite the potential, unlucky crossings that may have occurred prior to my receiving the originals.

Thanks for your vote of confidence, Gee, no pressure here then....  what:-o

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 10:37:37 PM »
It's the reason I love you to pieces you garlic smelling, hard headed old goat!  ROL :-))

You have been a God send to me Tommo. I would be struggling with pedigree stock for distribution if it wasn't for you. You wouldn't believe how much I appreciate that. Sorry for the pressure - but you love it really don't you?

It sounds so professional when I tell people who stop to chat over the fence about my beans,  that I actually have a dedicated breeder in Devon that looks after my core stock for me. I wouldn't trust that task to just anyone you know.  CW ;-)

Offline Poppa Tommo

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 11:30:27 PM »
 XK