Author Topic: Frangipanis  (Read 335 times)

Offline wonky

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
Frangipanis
« on: April 10, 2015, 11:12:33 PM »
The Frangipanis are continuing to grow with 11 having now germinated. At best 2 of them can only be described as the runts of the litter. With the exception of the runts most are now at the 2 leaf stage but it could still be too early to plant them on. Apparently that is done when 3 pairs of leaves are showing. I need them to get a move on because I could do with the propagator back for some tomato seeds!

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Frangipanis
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 12:12:30 AM »
I'd hold fire before planting out Wonky - they are warm climate plants and don't take kindly to chilly Yorshire springs and late frosts!

I once lost masses of begonias after planting them out in the second week of May!
  spf:-(

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 12:38:11 AM »
Not so much planting out as planting on! Doubt that they will ever see the great outdoors but I'm hopeful that they will survive in pots, indoors, in the front room which has a south westerly aspect so is usually quite warm with plenty of sunshine.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 10:52:33 AM »
Pot on! Pot on! I thought you were going to execute them by introducing them to the great Yorkshire outdoors  what:-o

That would have been a sure death sentence for them!

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 12:57:15 PM »
And potted up they are! At the moment there are 10 plants which includes 1 of the 2 runts. The second runt has always been a yellow brown without a hint of green and doesn't appear to be forming leaves. Next task will be to make sure that the cats don't start chewing the leaves!

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 01:28:50 PM »
They all look healthy and in ship-shape form to me Wonky! I wouldn't worry about the 'runts' there's always some of those - whatever you grow.

As for the cats, well why not grow your Frangipanis next to some Lavendar or Rosemary? Here's a bit of info. I picked up off a website that may be helpful for you (or others who read this post) - if you have a problem balancing your love of cats with your love of gardening!

To humans the scent of lavender is wonderful, but to cats, it smells like death. The best thing about lavender is that it can grow quite shrubby and in difficult places. Planting a bit of lavender between your other plants is an ideal way of stopping cats from wondering into your garden.

There are many varieties of lavender on the market. The most effective cat repellent is tall growing varieties; however, what works best for you really depends on the size of your garden and the affected area.

Rosemary grows wild in the Mediterranean. It’s an excellent herb to have in your garden, not just because it deters cats, but also because you can use it in your cooking. Rosemary releases a sweet fragrance which is very pleasant for humans.

The only issue with growing rosemary is that it requires a warm and dry climate to thrive; therefore, if you’re not an experienced gardener you may have some difficulties growing it if you live in a cold, wet area.

Offline aftermidnight

• Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 04:35:19 PM »
"As for the cats, well why not grow your Frangipanis next to some Lavendar or Rosemary? Here's a bit of info. I picked up off a website that may be helpful for you (or others who read this post) - if you have a problem balancing your love of cats with your love of gardening!"

Thanks Gee this is a useful bit of information I shall pass on. As far as Rosemary goes, if you can find the variety "Arp" it's winter hardy here, survives our wet winters and has survived winters where the temperature has dropped below 0° F. I've had mine for about 10 years, maybe more.

Annette
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 10:18:18 PM by Big Gee »

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 10:04:54 PM »
That's interesting Annette - I'll keep my eye open for that variety - Rosemary doesn't like the UK climate much - being a Mediterranean softy!

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 12:55:27 AM »
Not sure about growing either Lavender or Rosemary in the front room alongside the Frangipanis but I dare say I could pick some and sprinkle it around the pots and see if it has an effect. I wasn't aware that Rosemary was considered a bit of a softy - we have had it in the garden as part of a hedge for years now without any problems. It even survived some very cold November / December weather a few years back when the local temperature was less than -10C for quite a few successive days. I think the temperature peaked (or is that troughed?) at about -18C. I just assumed it to be a hardy herb - perhaps I need to take some cuttings if anyone else would want to try it?

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 01:06:41 PM »
The Frangipanis continue to do well with some of them now pushing out their 6th leaf. Don't think that they flower in the first year but if they do in the 2nd it will have been worth waiting for. The strange coloured runt at the bottom left has all but given up but the other one is doing fine so for the moment it is 10 reasonably healthy looking plants.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 01:11:16 PM by wonky »

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 05:29:09 AM »
They look REALLY healthy and strong Wonly - who said you need to live in Australia to grow Frangipanis? You don't need to go further south than Yorkshire do you!!  :-)snigger

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 12:37:32 PM »
"As for the cats, well why not grow your Frangipanis next to some Lavendar or Rosemary? Here's a bit of info. I picked up off a website that may be helpful for you (or others who read this post) - if you have a problem balancing your love of cats with your love of gardening!"

Thanks Gee this is a useful bit of information I shall pass on. As far as Rosemary goes, if you can find the variety "Arp" it's winter hardy here, survives our wet winters and has survived winters where the temperature has dropped below 0° F. I've had mine for about 10 years, maybe more.

Annette

Here y'are....you can get them in blighty tooo

http://rosemaries.co.uk/TRSstorefront.html
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 11:45:29 PM »
Not surprisingly the frangipanis are enjoying this hot weather and pushing out more and more leaves. A couple have started branching. I can see that it wont be long before they need the next size pot - but presumably keeping them as long as possible in a smaller pot will help restrict their growth - after all their is only so much room in ones front room for what are potentially 10 trees!

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 01:37:34 AM »
ROL :-)) who's got a forestry in his front room then?

They would enjoy a little trip to the great outdoors in this weather wonky!