Author Topic: What I put in my dehydrator today  (Read 1001 times)

Offline wonky

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
What I put in my dehydrator today
« on: March 29, 2015, 12:50:44 AM »
If only I had known a week ago that I was about to get a dehydrator I would have had it filled to the gills already!

At best I don't understand how Morrisons ever make a profit with their total lack of stock control and last week was typical. They had 3 large trays packed with pineapples which were being sold off at 19 pence a fruit. I bought 3 pineapples 2 of which were consumed during the course of the week which left one and today was the day the dehydrator arrived. If I had been able to predict the future then I would have bought at least a tray full of the said fruits!.

Anyway the one remaining pineapple has been prepared and produced 13 slices about a quarter inch thick which have then been cut into small segments. (12 segments per slice). With care I think the pineapple would have fitted onto just one tray but in fact spread it out over 2 trays. That still leaves 3 trays with nothing on them but gives an idea of the capacity of the unit.

All being well by about 2pm ( hmm that could be 3pm with the hour adjustment) it should be ready for storing in jars though I probably mean ready for sampling!!

Offline dimogga

Re: What I put in my dehydrator today
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 11:27:11 AM »
Good thinking! I was wondering how long it would be before I had anything home grown to put in, but you're spot on there - I will keep an eye on the fruit sell off!

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 04:59:57 PM »
After about 13 hours of dehydrating this is all that remains of a whole pineapple - just one small jars worth. Tastes good though!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 09:14:59 PM by wonky »

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 08:42:55 PM »
Today I might just have got a bit carried away but it's important to experiment and see what may or may not work. I had been tripping over a marrow for months now that was really too big to start without wasting much of it. There are only 2 of us in the house and only myself that likes marrow! Anyway the marrow has been prepared and is currently spread out over 3 shelves of the dehydrator. (picture below). I then made a quick trip to the plot and dug up 5 leeks which are filling 1 and a bit trays. I then raided the fridge and found some carrots and a courgette to fill the remaining gaps. No idea how any of it will turn out but at least I'm not tripping over that marrow any more.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 10:37:03 PM »
Marrows are always a problem! they usually get raffled along with big pumpkins to stop the grower tripping over them in winter!!  ROL :-))

It'll be interesting to see how that little lot turns out Wonky  ThU5:-)

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 11:03:04 AM »
The reduction in size of the marrow is quite remarkable (see 1st picture below and compare it to yesterdays)

In the jars are 5 leeks, 1 marrow, 3 carrots and half a courgette. All of them taste good but boy are the leeks eye watering strong!

5 more leeks to dig up from the allotment and then I can get on with preparing the ground for this years potatoes. The advantage of the dehydrator is that they can be dug up now and preserved (before those flower spikes appear) and enjoyed at our leisure plus I get access to the soil again.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 03:33:10 PM »
Looking VERY good Wonky. Time for me to despatch HI to the realm of eBay I think! She's a brilliant bargain sniffer. She'll be back tomorrow from Birkenhead (she stayed up there after the funeral). Hopefully we'll be able to recover some normality into our lives after she comes home tomorrow afternoon - I can't wait.

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 07:50:51 PM »
[ She'll be back tomorrow from Birkenhead (she stayed up there after the funeral). Hopefully we'll be able to recover some normality into our lives after she comes home tomorrow afternoon - I can't wait.[/font]

Bet the washing up has piled up  lol(1)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 08:29:55 PM »
I've got a strong sense of self preservation Scary - not a dirty dish in sight by tomorrow afternoon! Besides I'm not stupid, I've had No. 3 son Alex staying with me this week -  :-)snigger

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 09:07:49 PM »
I've got a strong sense of self preservation Scary - not a dirty dish in sight by tomorrow afternoon! Besides I'm not stupid, I've had No. 3 son Alex staying with me this week -  :-)snigger

''  By tomorrow ''   lol(1)  yes the words of a scared man    cwl:-] who would usually use paper plates and plastic cups knives and forks .. 

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 09:27:50 PM »

''  By tomorrow ''   lol(1)  yes the words of a scared man    cwl:-] who would usually use paper plates and plastic cups knives and forks ..

Ummmm - maybe . . . .   RedFaced:-(

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 01:45:39 PM »
That is the last 5 leeks pulled from the ground so I can now get on with preparing for the planting of my spuds. The leeks are now in the dehydrator and only occupy one of the five tray so perhaps not the most economical way to use it but at least they will be preserved.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 12:21:41 AM »
I lifted all my remaining leeks last week & I've got bucketfuls of them in water to mostly to give away (our freezer is already up to capacity in the leek department)! I keep on promising myself to plant less but the temptation overpowers me every year & every year I have the same problem when the plot is cleared of surplus at this time of the year!

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 10:26:41 PM »
Yeah! cheap bananas at Morrisons today. 29p for 9 bananas so bought what they had which was 3 bags or 27 bananas. The whole lot has been peeled and sliced and are now occupying just 3 trays in the Excalibur and smelling good!

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 07:32:26 AM »
 clap:-) clap:-) clap:-)

Well done Wonky...man after my own heart.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2015, 08:24:23 PM »
 cwl:-] Thanks Tommo - an honour indeed!

Afraid I can't help myself when it comes to the bargain counters at Morrisons. I reckon half our weekly shop is reductions. Though of late there has been very little worth having off the fruit and veg counter. Those bananas were the first thing worth having since I acquired the dehydrator.

A bit off topic but I got lucky earlier in the week. A chap in the village is putting a new roof on his cottage so I had a word with him regarding the old timbers. I now have a dozen 15 feet lengths of timber which must be 3 x 3 inches in cross section, a ltitle wood worm but nothing serious. That will go on the shed at the bottom of the garden in the new roof that I have to put on it.

I'm sure that in a different life I would make a good 'borrower' - as in the novel by Mary Norton.  ROL :-))

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2015, 01:00:11 AM »
cwl:-]

I'm sure that in a different life I would make a good 'borrower' - as in the novel by Mary Norton.  ROL :-))

You'll be telling us next Wonky that you live secretly in the walls and floors of the house and "borrow" from the big people! You should feel at home with the moles - careful they don't mistake you for food though!!! 
ROL :-))

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2015, 06:47:53 AM »
12 fifteen foot lengths of 3x3..... Now you ARE making me jealous.

Exactly how big is this shed going to be??? You've got enough timber there to make a small house!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2015, 02:28:26 PM »
On the basis that we are all raspberry jammed out, still have raspberries in the freezer from last year and there are loads more to be picked took the plunge and loaded up the dehydrator with raspberries. I know in the book that it says they are in the poor category for dehydrating but needs must!

I'm sure I read somewhere that they should be plunged into boiling water for a few seconds to weaken those berry skins but on re-reading the book it definitely says that no preparation is required. 14 hours later they are not looking much different to how they went in and are still soft and squidgy. If they do eventually dry out I can see it being fun (not) trying to prise them all from the trays. Still they can stay in the dehydrator for as long as it takes and fingers crossed that eventually they do dry.

Offline aftermidnight

• Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2015, 04:13:23 PM »
Wonky, have you  ever tried making raspberry fruit leather? I've never done it myself but a friend of mine does this with all kinds of fruit.
Annette