Author Topic: Emergancy, Emergancy!!  (Read 533 times)

Offline ladybird

• Full Plot Cultivator
Emergancy, Emergancy!!
« on: September 10, 2014, 09:07:59 AM »
Please, please, has anyone got some spare Kefir grains. Now this may seem a very silly thing to do, but whilst preparing my morning smoothie I had a laps of concentration and poured the whizzed smoothie into the glass containing the Kefir grains, which was waiting to have fresh milk poured into.
I would be grateful if someone would keep me in mind next time their Kefir grains are ready to split. I will gladly pay postage.
There is no better show of anticipation than a man/woman sowing seeds in a field.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Emergancy, Emergancy!!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 11:08:23 AM »
Oh DEAR!  spf:-(

But if all you've done is poured the smoothie on top of your grains, there shouldn't be a problem. I've also done that in the past. Just fish them out, give them a rinse in some cold water and then put them back in the milk. If you've put them in your blender well that's a different matter!  what:-o

I can get some grains out to you today, if you're desperate, mine need splitting anyway . PM me your address to save me having to hunt for it  CW ;-)

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 11:09:26 PM »
Ah well, we've all done daft things like that from time to time, but it really isn't a crisis, Ladybird. Gee is absolutely right. simply give the grains a good rinse and start them off again in the milk.

Besides, it seems that you have some new grains on the way so you'll soon be back in action is you have, indeed, lquidised them.

P.S. i hope you have been enjoying your kefir smoothies.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline ladybird

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 02:31:08 PM »
Yes K.T. I am back in action thanks to B/G.  Kefir grains arrived this morning in double quick time!  I have a fruit packed smoothie every morning and love them.  So you can understand why I put out an S.O.S when I messed up. The problem with trying to rescue the grains was that there was raspberries and blackberries in there and the pips got all mixed in with the grains. I have nice clear grains now so away I go again!

These senior moments tend to catch us off guard!  I didn't  utter any naughty words....honestly CW ;-)
There is no better show of anticipation than a man/woman sowing seeds in a field.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 03:42:49 PM »
I'm glad they arrived safely ladybird! Enjoy!  ThU:-)

Offline Poppa Tommo

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 10:34:01 PM »
Glad to hear that the Chat-Shed Teamwork is running full tilt. Keep up the smoothie making.
XX

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 09:14:47 PM »
Now it's my turn to scream for help  spf:-(

This morning I went to fish out my kefir grains from the milk they were fermenting in and thought I could smell a srong Stilton cheese aroma - not unusual in our kitchen - I'm a big lover of Stilton and leave it at room temperature before eating it, as all good cheese connoiseurs do aparently!  ::) 

But this was coming from the kefir vessel. On further inspection, I discovered that the fermenting milk had turned an odd cream/ yellow colour, and had seperated prematurely. I fished out the grains & discarded the fluid - as it really smelt 'wrong'. The kefir grains were also a strange yellow colour and absolutely ponged of a 'gone off' Stilton cheese.

Not being the panicky type I thought I'd rinse the grains clean in cold water and then use them again for a fresh batch. They remained yellow & smelly and there was a strange smooth growth on them that oozed a sticky fluid. Now I'm reasonably brave (or reckless some may say) and I don'r get frightened off very easily, but in this case reason & analysis of what my brain was saying in response to my konk won out. The grains moved home to the compost bin.

What had happened I don't know. It's never happened to me before and I'm at a loss to explain it. The only possible explanation that I could come up with is that the kefir/ fermenting milk had somehow become contaminated with some nasty bacteria from the Stilton cheese that was in the near vicinity! When I checked the cheese that too was smelling more iffy than usual. Any Stilton fans reading this will know that it smells of old socks when it's fresh, but tastes heavenly (I have yet to discover why that is - but that's another story).

Anyway the top & bottom of it is - I'm in urgent need of some fresh grains. can anyone help please? The BIG kefir guru is in Cyprus - so can anyone else step into the breach in his absence? Thanks!
  ThU5:-)

Offline Poppa Tommo

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 07:25:02 PM »

chıef kefir here. Manağed tö ğet ön tö a Türkish keyböard för 5 minütes. İ have mine here sö will save yöü a piece if yöü çant ğet söme beföre İ ğet back.

maybe yöü cöntamınated the kefir wıth pıpe smöke ın the air ör ön yöur finğers...kefir hates pollutiön.

This keyböard is nüts sö ı wönT percivere.  HB:-(

kt

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 10:25:24 PM »

chıef kefir here. Manağed tö ğet ön tö a Türkish keyböard för 5 minütes. İ have mine here sö will save yöü a piece if yöü çant ğet söme beföre İ ğet back.

maybe yöü cöntamınated the kefir wıth pıpe smöke ın the air ör ön yöur finğers...kefir hates pollutiön.

This keyböard is nüts sö ı wönT percivere.  HB:-(

kt

Aha! Safely on the island of Cyprus in the Med then? Bet the weather's nicer there than here Tommo! Glad you made it safely. Good job it wasn't one of the other Arab countries - otherwise I'd never understand your characters.

Thanks for the offer mate - no hurry.

NO IT'S NOT my pipe you cheeky devil! I only smoke natural herbs in my pipe - besides, my kefir has been quite happy until now. I reckon it's caught something from the Stilton.

Enjoy yourself Tommo - we're all missing you . . . .

Offline spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 08:43:22 AM »
BG
has anyone come up with  kefir grains, if not could send you some
Spuds (mick Ford)
is that the kettle I hear boiling
Newton Abbot Sunny Devon ( most times!)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 10:55:47 AM »
BG
has anyone come up with  kefir grains, if not could send you some

No not yet Spuds, thank you very much for your kind offer. Tommo promised me some when he comes home, so I was sitting tight. I'm not sure when he's returning though. If you have some to spare that would be great, but don't leave yourself short, I know Tommo has some - it's up to you.  ThU:-)

Offline spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 11:56:03 AM »
SEND ME YOUR ADDRESS AND I WILL PUT SOME IN POST TODAY
Spuds (mick Ford)
is that the kettle I hear boiling
Newton Abbot Sunny Devon ( most times!)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator