: EU Plant Legislation - Good News!  ( 653 )

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • : 7528
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
EU Plant Legislation - Good News!
« : March 04, 2014, 06:18:15 PM »

EU Plant Legislation Gets Short Shrift in Vote

A recent vote by the EU Environment, Public Health and Food Safety Committee (ENVI) unanimously rejected draft European legislation that has the potential to seriously impact Europe’s horticulture sector, with knock-on effects for UK gardeners.

The proposed Plant Reproductive Material Regulation, which in its current form has been strongly opposed by the RHS and other horticultural organisations, was rejected by a vote of 49-0. The draft legislation was also rejected by the EU Agriculture Committee (AGRI) on 11 February by 37 votes to 2. The latter Committee has asked the EU Commission to withdraw the legislation and for it to work on a new draft that would address the concerns raised by the Committees.

The RHS understands that even though both Committees have overwhelmingly rejected the Regulation, the EU Commission may present the proposal to the full EU Parliament in April. If passed, the legislation would impose more stringent requirements on all plants propagated in the EU, including ornamentals, and bring them more into line with those for food crops.

The RHS is continuing to urge people to write to their MEPs to express their opposition to draft European legislation and has provided a template letter and information on how to identify and contact your MEP – see links below.

Identify UK MEPs who are members of the influential Agriculture and Rural development Committee
Identify your local MEP
Read the proposed legislation

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • : 7528
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: EU Plant Legislation - Good News!
« #1 : March 10, 2015, 02:13:01 PM »
I've just received a circular from Garden Organic. Some more good news as it breaks for you!

EU Seed Regulation withdrawn by European Union

Garden Organic has learned that the proposed EU Seed Regulation has been withdrawn by the European Union.

Steve Thomson, Operations Director at Garden Organic says: “On Friday we learned that the current EU Seed Regulation legislation has been withdrawn, this was confirmed on Saturday when the official notification was posted on the EU official journal. We'd like to everyone who has supported us with this campaign. There has been no notification as to what will happen next, but we will keep you updated as to future developments, as and when they happen."."

The EU Seed Regulation was last discussed by the European Commission in January when two options were outlined, the first being that the Commissioners accept an amended re-presented version of the rejected regulation in the work plan. An amended regulation would have adversely affected Europe’s biodiversity and seen gardeners and farmers threatened with being prevented from exchanging seeds and, as a consequence, no longer be able to grow heritage varieties. It would also see our own Heritage Seed Library come under direct threat.

Garden Organic's preferred option involved the EU conducting an impact assessment, direct consultation with stakeholders, leading to a complete rewrite of the EU Seed Regulation.

We will keep you updated as to future development as they happen. You can read more about the history of our campaign here.

Follow us on social media #saveourseeds
Posted:
Monday, 9 March 2015

scary crow

• Global Moderator
  • : 3827
« #2 : March 10, 2015, 08:05:07 PM »
Great news ...

Poppa Tommo

• : 2030
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« #3 : March 11, 2015, 12:19:28 AM »
Rock on!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Jacqueline

• ¼ Plot Cultivator
  • : 17
« #4 : April 06, 2016, 07:31:49 PM »
Please this is all a bit hefty for me - I have just seen an old 'Pie in the Sky' TV episode where to sell unusual tomatoes they
have to be EEC registered costing £1000 - I suppose it is now better that?

How is this for in or out ?  thanks

aftermidnight

• : 689
    • Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
« #5 : April 07, 2016, 01:03:49 AM »
I just read this thread, my heart almost stopped, were they trying to stop people from growing heirloom seed,  worse still keeping your own seed, seed already in the public domain? I didn't think that was possible.
This side of the pond so far 'they' can't do it. I'm almost glad I'm as old as I am and not be around long enough to see things like this happen. It's all about controlling the world's food supply, whoever controls that controls the world, do 'they' think we are all stupid, where's the humanity, that is just plain hateful!!!
Annette