What action would you adopt if the new EU Seed Law comes into force?

I would abide by it and only grow what I am allowed to
I would break the law at the risk of prosecution
I would look for ways to dodge the legislation
I don't really care about the proposed legislation

: Would you break the Law for the freedom to grow what you want?  ( 1796 )

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • : 7528
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Assuming the worst case scenario and the new EU Seed Law comes into force in the next year or two, banning all amateur growers from saving their own seeds and making them liable to prosecution for growing anything that is not a 'registered' variety, or for distributing plants that they've bred themselves (whether for financial gain or not). Would you carry on regardless and ignore this jack-ass legislation?

Let us know on here, with your views and your reasons for your likely action.

Personally, although I'm a law abiding person, I will DEFINATELY carry on growing and using the seeds of my own choice, regardless of what they decide in the EU Parliament. I think we owe it to the hard work that generations of past growers have put into their gardening efforts, and also future generations who should have the right & freedom to do the same.

squirrel

• : 1275
Re: Would you break the Law for the freedom to grow what you want?
« #1 : December 23, 2013, 10:19:27 AM »
This is crazy. I would think that 99% of what is grown in 99% of the gardens and allotments came originally from commercial growers who are bona fide suppliers of seeds and plants.

I would never knowingly sow or grow anything that had been illegally gathered or imported but I will continue to dry and save some seeds I have grown myself, and swap or share with others.

These laws are pushed by the bog guys to crush the little guys and keep them dependant upon the big guys for their needs.
squirrels are often out their trees but never short of nuts.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« #2 : December 23, 2013, 11:00:26 AM »
Yes - you're absolutely right squirrel. It has NOTHING to do with purity of seed it has EVERYTHING to do with more power, control & money for the greedy, global companies. The supermarkets are up to the same game, trying to squeeze the small producers out of existence. The huge seed suppliers have taken it to a new level though, they've managing to get the (stupid) EU politicians to augment their evil desires through legislation. It stinks.

Many of the smaller commercial seed suppliers will also disappear - from whom many of us got our seeds from originally. Isn't it amazing that law abiding people like you & I might actually be criminalized for growing from our sown eeds? This is Orwellianism at it's worst. We musn't lie down & let it happen. They can't prosecute EVERYONE for collecting and sharing seed, so the way forward - if the legislation is adopted in it's worst form - is to passively ignore it on a massive scale. They are dependent on most of us conforming, if we don't they will have to repeal this ridiculous & draconian law.

Poppa Tommo

• : 2030
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« #3 : December 23, 2013, 10:14:09 PM »
What a load of nonesense. How on Earth they plan on policing such a policy I will never know. Are they going to post sentries on every allotment and garden in Europe??? Scare mongering crap, if you ask me, and never, ever enforceable. I will continue to save my own seed regardless of this plan and I intend to give some to anybody who asks for it.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Tony

• Full Plot Cultivator
  • : 289
  • I'd rather be gardening
    • Allotment Garden
« #4 : December 24, 2013, 12:01:47 AM »
We will be raided by the "Seed Squad" Rob.  A crack, elite squad of police dedicated to the eradication of  open pollinated seeds and the arrest of old blokes that produce them.  They will be led away in hand cuffs and prosecuted with the full force of the law being put away for a very long time and banned from growing for life.  The public needs to be protected from people like this.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« #5 : December 24, 2013, 01:34:12 AM »
We will be raided by the "Seed Squad" Rob.  A crack, elite squad of police dedicated to the eradication of  open pollinated seeds and the arrest of old blokes that produce them.  They will be led away in hand cuffs and prosecuted with the full force of the law being put away for a very long time and banned from growing for life.  The public needs to be protected from people like this.

Yep - the 'shady' looking ones with fresh soil on their hands - like you and me - will be first on their list Tony! Locked up with murderers, rapists and the rest of the mob from Operation Yewtree! How does it feel to be lumped in with the most wicked section of society? Shame on us for being so cruel to the multi-national seed saints!

squirrel

« #6 : December 24, 2013, 09:04:16 AM »

Yep - the 'shady' looking ones with fresh soil on their hands - like you and me - will be first on their list Tony! Locked up with murderers, rapists and the rest of the mob from Operation Yewtree! How does it feel to be lumped in with the most wicked section of society? Shame on us for being so cruel to the multi-national seed saints!

You got that wrong big gee, there won't be any murderers or rapists in there as it will take the whole of the law squad and most of the defence squad to run down this major ring of criminals who blatantly continue to economise and refuse to throw away those products that nature gave us to put food on our table.

See you inside guys

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« #7 : December 24, 2013, 09:54:52 AM »
 cwl:-]

True - so VERY true squirrel. I hope you get the job of cooking the porridge if I land up in the sdame jail as you!  CW ;-)

squirrel

« #8 : December 24, 2013, 09:57:53 AM »
Only if you and the rest of the guys lift the tarmac to make allotments for us to grow our own.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« #9 : December 24, 2013, 10:21:35 AM »
Not sure about that squirrel - we'll be pretty weak from the diet of bread & water for our sins!  ::)

squirrel

« #10 : December 24, 2013, 11:32:42 PM »
then it would have to be the first job on the list before anyone started to lose their strength  CThUpD:-)

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
  • : 1861
« #11 : December 28, 2013, 09:59:28 PM »
 Angry:-{ that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard absolute madness cannot believe that could be possible ludicrous.
I will still grow my aeron purple stars.

lottieguy

• : 690
  • Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
« #12 : January 04, 2014, 10:30:23 AM »
Hi Ya, I have noticed that several of the old varieties of seeds have already left the shelves and are no longer available. This could mean that the big brother state wants all gardeners, farmers etc to all grow the same varieties. I must be a bad boy anyway as like many more I do save my own seed already, ooh eer dont tell big brother, tee hee. Happy gardening

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« #13 : January 04, 2014, 11:48:56 AM »
I got my 2014 seed catalogue from Marshall's yesterday. I notice that the F1 varieties now dominate the cat. At a glance I would say that over 90% of the seeds they offer are now F1 hybrids - which means of course that they are not suitable for seed saving by the grower.

Is it my imagination (or call it paranoia if you like), but it seems that suddenly the ante has been raised in this issue? Over the years F1 seed has been increasing, but this year it seems to have really come of age. Coincidentally this is also the time when the EU's new seed legislation is coming to life.

With a forebodding likelyhood that food will soon become scarce on supermarket shelves - for a variety of reasons, are the governments and big global companies involved with seed supply making preparations to have total control over who supplies seed and who grows what?

With the likelyhood that more people will start growing their own, they seem to be making plans to cut down on what we will be able to grow - thereby hanging on to control.

Call me a 'conspiracy theorist' if you like, but I really don't believe in coincidences like this.

scary crow

• Global Moderator
  • : 3826
« #14 : January 04, 2014, 12:03:00 PM »
If some people had there way we wouldent be allowed allotment plots or be allowed to grow our own vegetables  and fruit .

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« #15 : January 04, 2014, 12:41:12 PM »
If some people had there way we wouldent be allowed allotment plots or be allowed to grow our own vegetables  and fruit .

That I think is what they're aiming at. Every plot that gets cultivated is a few more mouthfuls less for supermarkets/ seed suppliers & poison chemical producers in the form of pesticides, herbicides & fertilizers. The government are schitzophrenic about it, on the one hand they don't want a food disaster, but on the other hand they want to stroke the ears of the big boys. So one day they promote healthy 'grow your own' campaigns, the next they're stopping us from saving our own seeds to curtail our activity!

squirrel

« #16 : January 04, 2014, 12:59:50 PM »
I am finding this growing 'big brother dictator mentality' very disconcerting. Just about every aspect of our life is now under some sort of control even if only by scaring people into doing what they want us to do. Everything that was originally there to help the common man to be as independent and imaginative as he could has been whittled away. Health and Safety laws and human rights laws have all been turned around to oppress and stultify any explorative, creative, imaginative, or moral judgment. We already see how the many of the younger people have no interest, ambition or ability to think for themselves.

I could really get on my soapbox about this as I believe we are in for a very rude awakening when the effects of it all start to hit on a wide scale.  HB:-(

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« #17 : January 04, 2014, 01:41:17 PM »
My sentiments exactly Squirrel!

It's a soap-box I often climb on as well & then I get accused of being a Victor Meldrew!

The real game that's being played out is the production of masses of mindless automatons (they were called slaves in ancient days) all trained to do as the're told and with no rights. It's easier for the 'grey suits' to operate & make money in those conditions. It's a constant battle & one that's generally being lost the world over I fear. The only saving grace that gives me a sliver of hope is that they'll balls it all up and trip over their own shoe laces in the end. Trouble is many innocent people will go through a lot of suffering at that point.
« : January 04, 2014, 05:01:03 PM Big Gee »

squirrel

« #18 : January 04, 2014, 02:34:47 PM »
I really do have a far greater understanding of those so called grumpy old folk' I have met over the years. They were not grumpy, they were realists who became grumpy because no-one took them seriously until it was too late.

We have seen these scenarios so often that they follow a pattern and begin to know when we are being duped. That's when our lable changes from being grumpy to being paranoid ...  ss:-(

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« #19 : January 04, 2014, 05:03:00 PM »
Yep! You've got it in one 'Fluffy'.