: recently retired  ( 749 )

bollard

• ¼ Plot Cultivator
  • : 7
recently retired
« : March 13, 2016, 08:28:01 PM »
After two years retirement I'm just beginning to stop thinking about work and turn my thoughts to gardening and DIY.

We are in a 1980 house on an estate of similar-ish houses, they are set relatively close together as is the case with much modern development so now I'm home all day I've concentrated on making our garden more secluded, it's just nicer that way. I suppose that I started when one of the neighbours began cutting trees down which made the garden more exposed.

Anyway I would like to get some help with planting, design, evergreen climbers and hedging - I do hope photos are easy to load on this site, having been on motorbike forums (i have two old motorbikes) I know how variable that is between forums. Thanks for reading this  :)
« : March 13, 2016, 08:32:49 PM bollard »

scary crow

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • : 3826
Re: recently retired
« #1 : March 13, 2016, 09:13:40 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum think you will enjoy yourself on this forum there a real friendly easy to talk to bunch of people .Im sure someone will be along soon to help you with your garden and yes this is a eassy forum to post photos on  ...

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
  • : 1861
« #2 : March 13, 2016, 10:58:45 PM »
 Grin2:-) Hi Ian welcome to the shed. Yes it is quite easy to upload photo's when you are in the write window click on "Attachments" then under Attach click choose file on your computer. Try and reduce size of photo to around 900 pixels max in width so as they fit on page. Hope you enjoy browsing the pages.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • : 7528
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« #3 : March 14, 2016, 11:51:13 AM »
Hello Bollard! A very warm welcome to the 'Shed'. I think you'll love it here - there is no gardening question too hard or too simple to answer, if you don't get the information you're looking for from amongst the members here, then there probably is no answer  lol(1)

When it comes to inserting photos nothing could be simpler. As Dave says you can use the 'attach' feature - although that is not the ideal way to do it. It's far better to use the "Insert image" feature, you just click on the Mona Lisa icon and then insert the web address where your photo is stored. E.g.

The above screenshot is the address 'http://gardenerschat-shed.net/forum/pics/insert_img_screenshot.jpg' placed between the (img). . . . (/img) tags after clicking on the Mona Lisa icon. It's much easier than it sounds!

If your photo is not currently on a server then you can upload it to a photos server (like for example Photobucket) and then insert it's address in between the 'img' tags. Doing it like that means you can insert a photo anywhere in your post AND it doesn't use up disk space on our server - where the Shed is hosted. If you use the 'attach' feature then your photo gets uploaded to our server from your PC/ Notebook. You can also of course use any photo from anywhere on the web by copying it's location between the 'img' tags. Don't forget that we also have a gallery for all our member's photos - just click on the 'Gallery' link in the menu at the top of the page.

You can display any sized photo BUT it's recommended that you optimize them to 900 pixels width (again as Dave suggested) so that they can fit neatly into your post.

Have fun & enjoy - if you do have problems then by all means ask and one of us will walk you through the process.  ThU5:-)

PS what bikes have you got? I know Scary Crow has an interest as I also do.

bollard

• ¼ Plot Cultivator
« #4 : March 14, 2016, 07:08:55 PM »
thanks all, much appreciated

two work one doesn't, yamaha xj 600's 1990

comfortable and economical (but not fashionable) these are just about the cheapest bikes available today
« : March 14, 2016, 07:19:04 PM bollard »

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • : 7528
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« #5 : March 14, 2016, 07:21:02 PM »
They are beautiful and immaculate looking bollard!  ThU5:-)

What's the problem with the non-runner?

I see you've got the hang of posting photos - excellent! (Some have been on here for years and still haven't cracked it properly)  lol(1)

bollard

• ¼ Plot Cultivator
« #6 : March 14, 2016, 09:21:34 PM »
the red one at the back is an mot failure i bought, it isn't really worth fixing so much as a source of spares

i find that these old bikes are therapeutic, just plot along rather than race about so it's relaxing, like gardening.
« : March 14, 2016, 10:57:43 PM bollard »

Poppa Tommo

• : 2030
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« #7 : June 29, 2016, 07:36:28 AM »
Just found this post....I've been absent for a while....long story.

So.

Welcome to the Shed. As previously stated you should find this place a good place to be. A multi-varied bunch of codgers all dedicated to growing good, pesticide, herbicide free food. Some organic ( me 😃 ) and some not.

We are laid back, have a laugh and sometimes argue ( don't get Big Gee started on GARLIC !! ), but we do share an abundance of knowledge, tips, recommendations and so on.

Me and my wife ( bad grammar I know ) 'retired' a few years ago - never worked so hard since! We have a smallholding in Zunny Deb'n and are mostly self-sufficient.

I am currently between bikes, my last one was an easy to ride 535 Virago. Loved that machine. Let my son have it whilst he was at Uni' and he wrecked it. I haven't been able to afford to replace it yet but one day....

Anyway, once again, welcome.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Princess Starryshapes

• “It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
  • ¾ Plot Cultivator
  • : 156
  • throwing down my Starryshapes, Gardening styles...
    • Live Abundance
« #8 : August 03, 2016, 09:11:35 PM »
welcome Bollard,

I joined here last year during my first year of veggie growing and am Poppa Tommo's daughter.... I live in sunny Birmingham, I grow all my veg in our back garden in our little cul de sac, I say 'our' it's actually mine but I grow the veg with my partner who is chomping at the bit to move in cos she is sick of having to trek all the way home after mowing the lawn..... I don't blame her! We have a blooming veg patch and a variety of f lowers, small fruit trees and lots of herbs, and soon we will have chickens as well! I look forward to hearing about your garden :)

Lucy xx
“You-you alone will have the stars as no one else has them...In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing, when you look at the sky at night...You-only you-will have stars that can laugh.”
―Antoine de Saint-Exupéry