: Happy New Year from Boston, Massachusetts, USA  ( 601 )

briancady413

• ¼ Plot Cultivator
  • : 1
    • Envisioning Hope
Happy New Year from Boston, Massachusetts, USA
« : January 04, 2016, 03:37:07 AM »
Season's greetings, All,

I steward a 5x5meter+- plot here in Jamaica Plain, a neighborhood of Boston. It's in the Southwest Corridor Community Farm, owned by the Trustees of the Reservations, a nonprofit org'n.
I like to experiment with different crops, like peanut, tarwi, orach, yellow vetch(Vicia grandiflora), and hopefully runner beans in 2016.

wonky

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • : 756
  • It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
Re: Happy New Year from Boston, Massachusetts, USA
« #1 : January 04, 2016, 11:49:08 AM »
Happy new year to you Brian and welcome to our friendly forum! Look forward to reading more about what you are growing as it sounds like your growing conditions are very different to ours in this very damp, at the moment, UK climate.

I know about peanuts but no idea what that other stuff is you are growing! It would be interesting to see some photos of your plot and plants and hopefully learn something new!

Welcome aboard!

aftermidnight

• : 689
    • Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
« #2 : January 04, 2016, 07:11:45 PM »
Hi Brian,
Nice to see someone else from the other side of the pond on here, I'm north of you out west, the other side of that darn border.  This is the friendliest bunch of gardeners you'll ever meet, very generous too.  I haven't grown any of the crops you've mentioned but my grandpa did grow peanuts one year.  Although my garden is small compared to most I manage to grow quite a bit.

Annette

spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
  • : 494
« #3 : January 04, 2016, 07:38:19 PM »
well come  HTT:-}
would like to know more about growing peanuts , do you think it possible in the UK
Spuds (mick Ford)
is that the kettle I hear boiling
Newton Abbot Sunny Devon ( most times!)

scary crow

• Global Moderator
  • : 3827
« #4 : January 04, 2016, 10:30:07 PM »
Welcome Brian good to see a new member on here that grows the more unusual crops would be great to hear more about them and maybe some pic,s so we know what they look like well apart from the peanuts i know what they look like lol ... You have joined a great forum with a great bunch of growers on here that love to answer any questions you may have or just enjoy a good old chat ..
                                                                                                                                                                                       scary .........

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • : 7528
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« #5 : January 05, 2016, 11:55:09 AM »
Great to have you on-board Brian!

You've certainly whet our appetite having read what you grow Brian. And the climate in Boston can't be THAT different from ours over here in the UK - so some of us may come knocking on your door for advice on some of those plant varieties you've mentioned!

I've just been reading up on The Trustees of Reservations and it sounds as if your organisation is very akin to the principles and visions many of the "Shed"s members also promote for a better world.

Be sure to drop in regularly and ENJOY on here!  ThU32:-)