: Water Belly or Ascetis  ( 337 )

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • : 2030
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
Water Belly or Ascetis
« : September 11, 2014, 07:35:11 AM »
I love raising our own chickens for the table, especially as they are grazing on lush Devonshire grass and tucking into organic pellets too but by the time I've jointed, vac-packed and frozen a dozen of these little beautie,s and it's 8:30pm and I haven't had my tea yet, and my back aches from standing over a chopping 'bored' (literally), I hope that I don't see any more sometime soon.

We managed 23 out of the 24. 1 condemned by the vet. Probably 'water belly' again. This is an affliction suffered by these fast growing hybrids hearts, "ascetis", also called water belly, and had to be thrown out.  It's not a disease, but is heart failure and hypertension, their liver stops functioning properly and goes bad, and their belly fills up with fluid leaking from the liver, which they can eventually die from after a while. It's become very common for to see ascetis in "older" laying hens recently due to years of breeding them for high egg production, and that their bodies just get worn out sooner from that.

I am trying to find a meat bird that I can bring on slower and with the next lot I think I will ration out the feed so that it forces them to scratch out a lot more and grow slower so that their hearts can keep pace with the growth rate.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • : 7528
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Water Belly or Ascetis
« #1 : September 11, 2014, 02:17:27 PM »

. . . . "ascetis", also called water belly . . .

Don't you mean "ascites" tommo?  CW ;-)

Poppa Tommo

« #2 : September 11, 2014, 10:44:45 PM »
I bet you've been waiting to get me on my spelling, Gee....tooshay, my friend, tooshay.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • : 7528
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« #3 : September 12, 2014, 12:45:34 AM »
Been patiently lying in wait - like a tiger stalking it's prey Tommo!

Poppa Tommo

« #4 : September 12, 2014, 07:28:20 AM »
Ah, but, whilst you've been watching me, you'll be taking your eyes off the vultures circling overhead!