Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
  • WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY IN YOUR GARDEN / ALLOTMENT 5 3
Currently:  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY IN YOUR GARDEN / ALLOTMENT  (Read 13904 times)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY IN YOUR GARDEN / ALLOTMENT
« Reply #2100 on: July 28, 2017, 12:00:19 PM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Strange fruit indeed.  I suppose it's all a matter of degree but I'm not certain that I would bring back hanging.

Nah - not 'fruit' Tommo, it's the latest design in bird feeders. Four garden vandal carcasses last a WHOLE winter!!! And in summer it doubles up as an Aeron Purple Star support frame. Good innit?  lol(1)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2101 on: July 28, 2017, 02:28:36 PM »

Looking REALLY good Dave. Nice bit of brick work that. They definitely know what they're doing and neat around the site too. Excellent. can't ask for much more. Are they expensive?

[/No Gee they not that expensive but the bricks are.  It will be worth it tho cannot wait for it to be completed then I can get the raised beds.

Can I ask you about "Wormerys" do you think that it would be a good idea to have one for my green waste??? size]

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2102 on: July 28, 2017, 11:53:30 PM »

Wormeries are great things Dave. However you need a bit of patience, and the end product, although fantastic - you can't measure it by the ton!

One big benefit is the fluid that drains off, you use it like a liquid fertilizer. You also of course get top grade compost from the worm casts.

Click
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for a bit of info. from 'Wiggly Wigglers' - they're the ones I've dealt with in the past, but there's plenty more to choose from.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2103 on: July 29, 2017, 11:24:42 AM »

YRTB  Thanks Gee.

Patience I have, plenty of time I have to, I do not need tons as not a big allotment to supply with compost.

The main reason was, that I have not really got anywhere to put a compost bin and be able to hide it away. I have got a bin for the green waste BUT BOY DOES IT PONG specially in the summer.  usf:-( 

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2104 on: July 29, 2017, 04:33:00 PM »

YRTB  Thanks Gee.

Patience I have, plenty of time I have to, I do not need tons as not a big allotment to supply with compost.

The main reason was, that I have not really got anywhere to put a compost bin and be able to hide it away. I have got a bin for the green waste BUT BOY DOES IT PONG specially in the summer.  usf:-( 

You're welcome Dave.  ThU5:-)

Just a thought. Have you considered a 'Dalek' compost bin? They're very unobtrusive. They take ages to fill (I often call mine a 'Tardis' as opposed to a 'Dalek'!). I have one at home for the garden there. They are neat and very easy to locate without being an eyesore. If you locate it on bare earth, it will soon attract worms, and they'll do exactly the same job as a wormery. As I said - 'just a thought'. If you DO decide on one, check with your council, they often give them away free (or used to at least in some areas). Also I'd recommend opting for the model with no sliding door at the bottom - which in my opinion is a truly 'Micky Mouse' afterthought designed by someone who has never had the pleasure of composting!

Here's a photo of mine - two years of filling from the kitchen waste and it's still only three quarters full.

Princess Starryshapes

• “It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
  • ¾ Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Starryshapes
  • throwing down my Starryshapes, Gardening styles...
    • Live Abundance
« Reply #2105 on: July 29, 2017, 11:24:26 PM »

we have 2 of the dalek compost bins and fill one whilst sing the compost out of the other one...... the door at the bottom is less than useless, and we are actually going to decorate ours to look like daleks. :D
“You-you alone will have the stars as no one else has them...In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing, when you look at the sky at night...You-only you-will have stars that can laugh.”
―Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2106 on: July 30, 2017, 08:57:44 AM »

we have 2 of the dalek compost bins and fill one whilst sing the compost out of the other one...... the door at the bottom is less than useless, and we are actually going to decorate ours to look like daleks. :D

Where did you get yours from Princess?  The council or did you buy it?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 12:51:02 PM by Big Gee »

Princess Starryshapes

• “It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
  • ¾ Plot Cultivator
    • Live Abundance
« Reply #2107 on: July 31, 2017, 12:35:48 AM »

I have one that i bought from a shop on edgewood road, but you can pick them up online from amazon: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 

the shop on edgewood road sold them cheaper though.

The other one was a gift from someone :) And yeah they do stink in the summer but honestly, the alek ones only stink for the brief moment when the lid is off and that cloud of tiny flies clears from your vision......
“You-you alone will have the stars as no one else has them...In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing, when you look at the sky at night...You-only you-will have stars that can laugh.”

Princess Starryshapes

• ¾ Plot Cultivator
    • Live Abundance
« Reply #2108 on: July 31, 2017, 05:25:43 PM »

waawaawoowaah! my tomatoes taste amazing!

spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #2109 on: August 01, 2017, 09:22:03 AM »

nothing  beats home grow food yum yum  ThU32:-)
Spuds (mick Ford)
is that the kettle I hear boiling
Newton Abbot Sunny Devon ( most times!)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2110 on: August 01, 2017, 12:36:11 PM »

waawaawoowaah! my tomatoes taste amazing!

Yep - that sums up the joy of it each season. The first fruit of your efforts. Makes it ALL worthwhile doesn't it?

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2111 on: August 02, 2017, 08:12:20 PM »

ThU5:-) That's the bricklaying of walls and cupboards done. Laying the slabs the next job when they delivered nought done today.
Some piccys.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2112 on: August 02, 2017, 11:02:17 PM »

Very impressive Dave! My late father was a bricklayer and stone mason, I think he'd be very happy with your brickie's handiwork.

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2113 on: August 03, 2017, 09:49:23 AM »

I have one that i bought from a shop on edgewood road, but you can pick them up online from amazon: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 

the shop on edgewood road sold them cheaper though.

The other one was a gift from someone :) And yeah they do stink in the summer but honestly, the alek ones only stink for the brief moment when the lid is off and that cloud of tiny flies clears from your vision......

ThU32:-) Thanks Princess for the link, have to see if they got one without the door as Gee reckons it's useless hope I can find a doorless one  Grin2:-)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 12:12:00 AM by Big Gee »

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2114 on: August 11, 2017, 02:28:48 PM »

ThU32:-)  Yippee the first 2 terraces finished be next Monday when they come again so could be finished on Tuesday next week.
Here's a picy.

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #2115 on: August 11, 2017, 11:04:36 PM »

That looks like a Very professional job there, Dave.

Meanwhile, back in Devon I've been hacking all the tops of my spuds as close to the ground as possible as the dreaded blight arrived (as it always does in August) and totally ravaged the lot. All the tops are now in the bottom paddock where they have been stuffed into the fire pit.

The fire pit is a cut down old rectangular central heating oil tank which gets loaded up with all sorts of off cuts and rubbish that won't compost and then periodically torched.

Tomatoes are flourishing and are being snapped up by the local gastro pubs and the blueberries have had a bumper year. They're being sold as fast as I can pick them. 21 kilos at the last count with loads to come. I'm seriously thinking of putting up another poly tune for next year.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2116 on: August 11, 2017, 11:18:14 PM »

That looks like a Very professional job there, Dave.

Meanwhile, back in Devon I've been hacking all the tops of my spuds as close to the ground as possible as the dreaded blight arrived (as it always does in August) and totally ravaged the lot. All the tops are now in the bottom paddock where they have been stuffed into the fire pit.

The fire pit is a cut down old rectangular central heating oil tank which gets loaded up with all sorts of off cuts and rubbish that won't compost and then periodically torched.

Tomatoes are flourishing and are being snapped up by the local gastro pubs and the blueberries have had a bumper year. They're being sold as fast as I can pick them. 21 kilos at the last count with loads to come. I'm seriously thinking of putting up another poly tune for next year.

Thanks for that Tommo I am very pleased with the job so far.

I am growing blueberries BUT do not get the amount you get off yours, how many bushes have you got?

I have only got 3 July,August & September cropping in big pots of Erracacious compost.

Not sure how to prune them or when can you advise please.

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 12:32:37 AM by Big Gee »

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2117 on: August 12, 2017, 12:48:41 AM »

Oh dear! Mr. Blight has visited has he? Shame.

My mate Stephen has cultivated a new plot this year (a temporary one on the farm he runs with his brother inland - until we get our act together on a new site here in town). He has no blight at all (so far). When he was cultivating his usual plot, he - along with all the others, including myself,  got 'blighted' every year around this time. This begs the question whether allotment sites really are a source of blight outbreaks, an incubator as it were. Potato growers have for years accused allotment growers of being the catalyst for blight outbreaks. I've always opposed that theory, but it makes you wonder doesn't it? Lots of potatoes, grown every year in a small area, and possibly sloppy hygiene habits among allotmenteers when it comes to destroying infected haulms. What do other members think?

Also glad to see that you are keeping the restaurants of Crediton and the area supplied with fresh produce Tommo. Have you been peddling some Aeron Purple Stars this season? Or are they ALL being harvested as core stock? Any photos?

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #2118 on: August 12, 2017, 08:16:21 AM »

ROL :-))  Anybody e else getting the APS I have fought the rabbits for?  NO BLEEDIN' CHANCE.

This year's (apart from a few I can now spare for Ruth's wonderful runner bean chutney) are ALL for seed stock. I'll need plenty for my own runner bean sales next season - the rest are all yours Gee.

As far as the blight is concerned. I didn't grow any spuds last year, the bed of which us now under a new raised bed and has produced a lovely crop of onions and loads of on- going dwarf French beans. Tell you what, having the dwarf French beans almost 3 feet high makes picking a treat. No more backs train crawling round on the floor rummaging through the foliage. This year my potato bed is about 50 metres from the old plot, on virgin ground with wonderful well rotted/composted horse muck. We are also a good mile away from any other allotments and at least half a mile from any other garden plots. You've seen our proximity yourself, Gee, i believe that in some places - warm, damp westcounry for example - blight is in the air until conditions are perfect then BANG, in it comes.

Hang up your secateurs for now, Dave, blueberries need very little pruning. I only do mine in the middle winter and even then it's really only to remove any dead twigs that bore fruit this year. You can tell these ones because they snap very easily. Mostly you don't even need secateurs. The only time I heavy prune them is about once every 4 years when I remove a single thick woody stem at ground level to allow space for the new shoots to come. Even that isn't essential but if they get overcrowded in the bush then it's difficult to pick the fruit without knocking half of them off. Hope that helps.

Being as you ask, I have about 50 blueberry tubs, about a third of them are old, a third coming into their prime and a third as 2 to 3 years old. I'm hoping to double that as my customer base expands and demands are high. Anybody got a couple of ex-commercial polytunnels spare? 

The biggest effect on my blueberry crop has been putting up a tunnel covered in agricultural enviromesh with the two door ends covered in heavy duty plastic deer mesh ( look up Colin's Nets - that's where I get my deer mesh from) so that the all important bumblebees can acces the flowers. BLACKBIRDS AND PIGEONS ARE FINALLY BANNED.

I really must put up a Blueberry Growers Guide on here.

Today, weather permitting,  it's cutting out the old and tying in the new raspberry canes. Then perhaps giving the lawns a close cutting.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2119 on: August 12, 2017, 10:09:31 AM »

Good news on all fronts then Tommo!  CThUpD:-)

On the topic of blight. The fungal spores of late blight overwinter in old potato tubers that remain in the ground or on the compost heap. These tubers may grow the following year to produce infected shoots. Fresh fungal spores of blight are then released on the wind to infect new crops. Spores may also be washed into the ground by heavy rainfall to infect tubers growing there.

Many growers believe that blight is only caused by spores blowing in from some other mysterious source far away. However, growers can inadvertently create a blight hatchery for spores by leaving tubers in the ground over the winter (volunteer spuds). These sprout the following year and their haulms pump out spores into the air, which then, under the right humid/ damp weather conditions quickly multiply and spread. I've seen allotment growers proudly show off 'volunteers' believing that some miracle has occurred, because haulms appear in last year's patch! They also put infected haulms in compost bins along with infected tubers that often sprout in the heap. It is very sloppy housekeeping. Some gardeners also suggest that it's safe to put infected haulms and tubers in compost heaps, in the belief that the heat from the compost will destroy any spores. A very risky habit. PLUS spores can remain dormant in the soil and then suddenly activate for up to four or five years. The only safe remedy is to burn EVERYTHING - haulms and tubers that have been infected.

Commercial growers are far more fussy about clearing ground of any tubers and infected haulms after a harvest - for obvious reasons. Your 'newbie' allotmenteer is often a lot less careful. It only takes one or two who are not very knowledgeable in these matters to cause a blight outbreak on their doorstep.

Finally spores under the right weather conditions and wind currents can carry for miles and miles.  So sloppy hygiene conditions on one allotment site could be the culprit for an outbreak a long way away from the source. I've come to the conclusion that the potato growers are correct (much as it hurts me for saying so) that a lot of their problems do in fact originate with allotment sites. It doesn't have to be like that.

Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107   Go Up