Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
  • WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY IN YOUR GARDEN / ALLOTMENT 5 3
Currently:  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 107   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY IN YOUR GARDEN / ALLOTMENT  (Read 13916 times)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY IN YOUR GARDEN / ALLOTMENT
« Reply #2060 on: June 04, 2017, 10:54:26 PM »

Don't you let up on those 'wabbits' Elmer - if it's a case of 'wabbits' or APS beans then it's got to be 'wabbit' every time - for being in the wong place at the wong time & eating the wong food!!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #2061 on: June 04, 2017, 11:06:45 PM »

I absowootly agwee
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #2062 on: June 07, 2017, 07:31:14 AM »

Well with all this rain, wind and generally crap outside weather I was driven inside the greenhouses. I'm lucky, I suppose, that I have a couple of greenhouses large enough to keep me busy.

Well in the large one I resurrected a strawberry planter that TLR bought me several years back off one of her shopping channels. Actually it's a really good planter that I fell out of favour with because I couldn't get it right...outside that is. So it's been relegated to behind a shed for the last 2 seasons.

This year I took receipt of some Mara des Bois strawberries - dry rooted, chilled. Planted them up into 9cm pots in March in the large greenhouse where temperature fluctuations are more stable.

I came across Mara des Bois in France and was really impressed with the wonderful, real strawberry flavours and aromas. Later discovered that they are 'everbears' or perpetual fruiting all season. So anyway i got some online. I bought them from Pomona who, I might recommend as a good company. I bought some 'Snow White' strawb's last year that half failed. I emailed them, with pictures, and even though they had sold out a couldn't replace them they promised to replace them this spring. Well, I thought, we'll see. Anyway along with my Mara des Bois came a full set of Snow White. Top marks, Pomona.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

First thing I was impressed with was how vigorous they are, putting on loads if glossy growth then I had an idea. Having made a new raised strawberry bed down the lottie ready for my replacement/overlap plants ( I rotate my strawb's over 4 to 5 years as they peak around 4 years ). This time I had enough new plants to try an experiment. I thought I would dig out the retired planter and grow half inside and half outside.

Back to my rainy day inside the greenhouse. The planter INSIDE the greenhouse has proved a real success. The strawb's have been producing well and regularly for the past 3 weeks or so and the fruits have certainly lived up to my hopes. So much so that I intend to expand the greenhouse growing by making a steel, high raised platform just for strawberries for next year. These are already beginning to throw runners that I will pot up as they appear.

So, along with planting up the rest of my tomatoes, peppers, chillies, melons, cucumbers and aubergines; weeding and generally housekeeping 2 large greenhouse that's what I've been doing during the rainy season weather. Now, where's my welder.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 07:44:13 AM by Poppa Tommo »

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2063 on: June 12, 2017, 09:57:44 PM »

Not done anything at plot for over a week now as we have had loads of rain and my enthusiasm has been very low. Plus I have had to do my dads garden for him as his poor old memory failing him even more now that he forgot we bought plants for his pots and garden, had em 3 days and he still forgot to get cracking and plant em.

He will be 97 on Saturday 17th June we going away to Warners for the weekend.

So I will still not be doing much to my plot yet.

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #2064 on: June 13, 2017, 08:32:31 AM »

Well keep an eye on the weather forecast - it looks s though we're coming into a bit of a heatwave. Boots on and prepare to battle the weeds that the rain has brought on.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2065 on: June 13, 2017, 10:21:24 AM »

Yes, time for knotted 'handkerchief caps' boots & shorts - IF the forecasters are to be believed!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2066 on: June 13, 2017, 07:54:43 PM »

This is what I was upto on my dads garden. a couple of pics before and after shots.

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #2067 on: June 13, 2017, 11:08:43 PM »

Very nice, Dave. Perhaps you would like a 'holiday' in Devon!

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2068 on: June 14, 2017, 10:10:50 AM »

I take it you mean a working holiday, what jobs you got lined up for me.  what:-{   what:-o

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #2069 on: June 20, 2017, 11:50:18 PM »

The list would be too long, Dave. Suffice it to say that I could employ someone full time for a week just strimming - that's without the hedge trimming, she'd building, weeding and the endless watering during this lovely hot weather.

Talking of hot weather. Runner or pole beans suffer notoriously in weather such as that enjoyed by beach lovers and holiday makers this week. NOT THE APS, though. So far, secure in their rabbit resistant compound, they are running up the canes beautifully. I notice this year that the vines are a deeper, sort of purple flushed colour and the flowers seem to be a much deeper red too. I'm hoping the colours are an indication of darker pods to come.

So far so good then but the rabbit patrol will continue none-the-less.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2070 on: June 21, 2017, 09:14:11 PM »

The ol' APS seem to cope very well with hot weather. Many varieties have a tendency to drop their blooms, or fail to set, but so far I've had nothing but good reports of their performance in 'non Welsh' weather conditions!

Glad to hear you're winning the 'wabbit' war!
  ThU5:-)

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2071 on: June 22, 2017, 08:14:06 PM »

Hi all, I'm back.
I am not very happy with plot I went today to have a look not a single strawberry to be seen so I only had 1 strawberry after all the work I put in, I know I should have gone there more frequently to keep an eye on them.
My enthusiasm has died now with the bad state of the whole site. Namely WEEDS,WEEDS AND MORE BLOODY WEEDS All I have been doing for weeks now is digging em up.
I am planning to give it up next year and resign off the committee as instead of being a pleasure it has become a chore with lots of site problems to contend with.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2072 on: June 22, 2017, 09:04:34 PM »

Oh dear!!! Sounds like someone is on a downer  ss:-(

Don't do anything hasty now Dave.

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #2073 on: June 22, 2017, 09:24:01 PM »

Well it's been somewhat of a relief to have a nice cool respite from the intensity of the extremely hot weather of late. Still, the heat has certainly brought on the strawberries and raspberries. Managed to pick, freeze, eat, sell over 4 kilos of beautiful aromatic strawberries - sorry Dave but someone's got to have a good luck story- about a kilo of raspberries including those fantastic golden ones. Our local gastro pub, The Lamb Inn at Sandford buys all of mine and a load of garlic scapes - they also buy most of them too.

Could now do with a good 6 hour steady overnight rain as everything is looking a. It parched.

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2074 on: June 22, 2017, 09:56:14 PM »

Here are a couple of pics. 1: the state of the site next to me 6 empty plots to my right other side of road 14 empty plots all overgrown with weeds.
2: On the bright side first strawberry grown at home in hanging basket

spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #2075 on: June 23, 2017, 06:34:29 AM »

Hi all, I'm back.
I am not very happy with plot I went today to have a look not a single strawberry to be seen so I only had 1 strawberry after all the work I put in, I know I should have gone there more frequently to keep an eye on them.
My enthusiasm has died now with the bad state of the whole site. Namely WEEDS,WEEDS AND MORE BLOODY WEEDS All I have been doing for weeks now is digging em up.
I am planning to give it up next year and resign off the committee as instead of being a pleasure it has become a chore with lots of site problems to contend with.

where have all the gardeners gone , it wasn't that long ago that every site have long lists of people wanting a plot
there is one next to me new man takes it over puts new lock on shed never seen him since weeds 4 foot high  HB:-(
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 10:19:57 PM by Big Gee »
Spuds (mick Ford)
is that the kettle I hear boiling
Newton Abbot Sunny Devon ( most times!)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2076 on: June 23, 2017, 10:33:54 PM »

"Allotments swing, like a penulum do . . "

Fads & fashions. It was 'cool' a few years ago to tell everyone that you had joined the 'grow your own brigade'. Had your own allotment, were eating healthy, saving the planet by reducing the food miles - a good modern 'yuppy' Brownie point getter.

Then they all realised that allotment gardening is hard work, fads & hard work don't mix. Flash in a pan - they're probably down the pub right now telling all their mates about some other fad or fashion they've latched on to in order to impress & continue to look cool with the latest trend. A waste of time talking or writing about them. They've done the allotment movement more harm than good.

As I've said before, I blame a lot of the false hype on some TV gardening programmes. They jumped on the band wagon in order to capture audiences tuned in to a fad. They projected it as a cool "no work needed, magic gardening past time". The 'shallow sheeple' swallowed it, allotment waiting lists soared, good keen gardeners were kept waiting, and now the aftermath - neglected weed strewn plots everywhere and shrinking waiting lists. Worse still long time dedicated allotment gardeners like Dave loosing heart and buggering off.

The BBC & the other TV gardening channels have a lot to answer for.

spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #2077 on: June 24, 2017, 08:15:00 AM »

"Allotments swing, like a penulum do . . "

Fads & fashions. It was 'cool' a few years ago to tell everyone that you had joined the 'grow your own brigade'. Had your own allotment, were eating healthy, saving the planet by reducing the food miles - a good modern 'yuppy' Brownie point getter.

Then they all realised that allotment gardening is hard work, fads & hard work don't mix. Flash in a pan - they're probably down the pub right now telling all their mates about some other fad or fashion they've latched on to in order to impress & continue to look cool with the latest trend. A waste of time talking or writing about them. They've done the allotment movement more harm than good.

As I've said before, I blame a lot of the false hype on some TV gardening programmes. They jumped on the band wagon in order to capture audiences tuned in to a fad. They projected it as a cool "no work needed, magic gardening past time". The 'shallow sheeple' swallowed it, allotment waiting lists soared, good keen gardeners were kept waiting, and now the aftermath - neglected weed strewn plots everywhere and shrinking waiting lists. Worse still long time dedicated allotment gardeners like Dave loosing heart and buggering off.

The BBC & the other TV gardening channels have a lot to answer for.

well said BG agree with all
Spuds (mick Ford)
is that the kettle I hear boiling
Newton Abbot Sunny Devon ( most times!)

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #2078 on: June 27, 2017, 06:52:30 AM »

Well, with help from me mate, Tim, managed to get phase 2 of operation 'Ban the Bunny' in place. The second enclosure almost complete - just need to get the second gate on then it's IN YER FACE YA FURRY F*****S.

Pleased to say that the APS, all intact have made it to the top of the canes. Loads of flowers. Promising so far.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2079 on: June 28, 2017, 11:30:54 AM »

Looks like a vintage year for the Aeron Purple Stars down in Zunny Deb'n, accompanied by a year of famine for the 'wabbits'! Does this face look worried? Absolutely not!

Wel done mate!  clap:-)
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 107   Go Up