Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
  • WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY IN YOUR GARDEN / ALLOTMENT 5 3
Currently:  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 107   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY IN YOUR GARDEN / ALLOTMENT  (Read 12807 times)

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
Re: WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY IN YOUR GARDEN / ALLOTMENT
« Reply #2040 on: May 15, 2017, 08:22:24 PM »

Had another 4 1/2 hours digging weeds up yesterday on the 7th bag now. Still I am winning and the ground nice' n soft after all the rain. Nought done to day as wet most of day + I went to Bristol this morning with a friend who had bought a car online at Auction, gave the car a nice run.

aftermidnight

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
    • Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
« Reply #2041 on: May 30, 2017, 03:48:23 PM »

Not today but yesterday I picked rhubarb for the first time since I almost lost my little patch a couple of years ago. After a stinker of a very cold, freezing winter, you wouldn't believe the things I've lost that I've had for years, our winters have been really erratic the last ten years, never know any more what we are going to get.

The rhubarb this year is huge with monstrous leaves (one stalk will make a pie with a bit left over), I should have picked it sooner as part of the stock had a strip of woody tissue in it which I cut out, it definitely has enjoyed the winter we just had, rhubarb needs a freeze. Some of these large stalks had fasciated, have any of you guys had this happen to you? I have a few more outer stalks to pick for the freezer then I will leave the rest alone, normally around here we can pick until the end  of June but I think I'll stop early this year.

Annette

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #2042 on: May 30, 2017, 08:22:03 PM »

Hi Annette - how's life in the garden on the other side of the pond? Plenty of rhubarb pie by the sounds of it!

I was surprised to hear you say that you nearly lost your rhubarb after a 'stinker' of a hard winter. Rhubarb thrives on a hard frost! As you probably know, it's natural environment is Siberia, where it apparently grows wild on the banks of the Volga. What it really hates is being waterlogged - the crowns can rot under waterlogged conditions - was it a particularly wet winter when you nearly lost it?

I'm glad you've got a bumper crop this year, it does that sometimes, if it's happy it can grow out of control in some years, then in other years it just ticks over.

I've never had 'fasciated' stalks, and I really don't know what may cause it, except maybe erratic growth due to fluctuating weather conditions. I do know it stops growing altogether above 30oC.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2043 on: May 30, 2017, 10:39:19 PM »

Hi Annette my rhubarb has been good this year a lovely bumper crop BUT I had to move it after I picked it so will leave it to recover till next year now.

For the ignorant what is FASCIATED never heard of it????  ???

aftermidnight

« Reply #2044 on: May 31, 2017, 02:26:09 AM »

Gee, it was a couple of years ago that I almost lost my patch of rhubarb after a fairly mild winter.  I think one of the reasons my rhubarb this year looked like it was on steroids was because of the abnormally cold and freezing weather we had  most of the winter.
Dave, when fasciation occurs around here, it's usually environmental, returning to normal growth the next year, we quite often see this in lilies, some examples,
  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Actually a trait welcomed in some plants like succulents and cactus.

Annette

Poppa Tommo

• Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #2045 on: May 31, 2017, 07:42:41 AM »

'Fasciated' I wondered what that phenomenon was called. Thank you.

So what's been going on down here? Well, in some ways I've admitted defeat in my quest to eradicate those 'pesky wabbits' from my plot. Trouble is I am bounded by endless acres of perfect rabbit habitat that I have been studying with a view to solving my problem in fact I've spent so much time investigating field warrens and colonies that I should have been a 'burrow surveyor'!!! There's no such thing as a lazy laporidae (another new word or you Dave), in fact they are so effing fecund they breed like, well, RABBITS.

Instead I have been setting up rabbit proof enclosures in the allotment spaces. Pain in the arse really as I coul do without the time and effort it takes, still my mate, Tim, whom I pay, incidentally, is brilliant at fence work so wth two of us hauling the steel post rammer it does make the job a bit easier. Plus I get to have a real workout in the process.  mad:-| [size=78%]Yesterday we planted 21 3" and 4" thick posts  in readiness for sinking some chicken wire. Spent some time re-modelling an old heavy duty gate, grinding off the hanging lugs, re-welding them and getting it in place  [/size]

All this, of course, has delayed planting out several crops which are still waiting in pots and trays. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't even got my spuds in the ground - they are still in egg boxes. I do, though, have all my APS IN THE GROUND, although each morning I very nervously walk down to the plot with fingers crossed that they will still be there. I don't have any back up seeds to replace them with if the rabbits invade.

The plant sales are going relatively well although I think I overdid it with tomato sowing .....not a surprise to some of you, I know. Well I can't languish in bed any longer, it is 7:40am and I have to get up and see if my APS are still alive.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2046 on: May 31, 2017, 04:31:58 PM »

Well I always learn something new on this site thank you both for broadening my horizons   :-)snigger
I did know about the strange looking growths but never knew the name.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2047 on: May 31, 2017, 08:33:02 PM »

Tommo - stop giving me the collywobbles! I shudder every time you mention APS and rabbits in the same sentence!!!!  what:-o
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2048 on: May 31, 2017, 10:36:40 PM »

Rabbits , collywobbles , chicken wire and devon smallholder with high blood pressure and lots of bunny recipes .. Some questions for you Tommo are all these rabbits coming from a certain direction or from all angles ???????  .. Have you thought about drop box traps do you know anything about them if you need some advice pm your phone number and i will see if i can help with these traps you will have a constant supply of rabbit meat ...
ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #2049 on: May 31, 2017, 10:45:24 PM »

Talk soon, Scary.

aftermidnight

« Reply #2050 on: June 01, 2017, 02:56:45 AM »

Tommo, I've got quite a lot of seed from the APS's I grew last year, the seed I grew was from you, from your all purple pods. I had all purple pods, not a greenie in the bunch. I don't think the neighbor up the street grew runners last year. I could send some back to you as a backup for next year, think it's too late for this year.  Just let me know and I'll pop some in the mail.

Annette

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2051 on: June 01, 2017, 10:00:52 PM »

You might just be the safety net required Annette - if those 'Pesky Wabbits' get the better of poor ol' 'Elmer Fudd' (Tommo)!

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #2052 on: June 01, 2017, 10:52:52 PM »

Tommo, I've got quite a lot of seed from the APS's I grew last year, the seed I grew was from you, from your all purple pods. I had all purple pods, not a greenie in the bunch. I don't think the neighbor up the street grew runners last year. I could send some back to you as a backup for next year, think it's too late for this year.  Just let me know and I'll pop some in the mail.

Annette

Great idea, if and when we need it. It's so far so good on the rabbit proofing. No breaches yet and the beans continue to wind themselves up the canes. I'll definitely let you know if all is a disaster.

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #2053 on: June 02, 2017, 07:21:37 AM »

So, there I was sweating like the proverbial pig in the large greenhouse, setting out another bed of tom's when my neighbour, Jo, poppers her head into the sauna-like environment.

'Wanna come for a cooling walk' she says.

I'm up and out of there before you can blink.

'Where we going' says I.

'Well', she says, 'I thought you might like to see my dung heap'.

Jo lives over the road in a similar sized holding as ours. Keeps 4 horses, and, as you might guess, is a good friend. We walk round the back of her house into the horse paddocks and she points at a heap in the distance that resembles a small hillside.

'That's it, there', se says.'ive been tipping dung scrapings from the fields and the bedding from the stables for the last 14 years'........14 YEARS!!!!  what:-{ what:-o what:-{ what:-o

This heap (or should I say 'barrow') is some 30ft across and at least 8ft high, needing a circular ramp to get her wheelbarrow up it. I shove my hands deep under the fresh stuff and scoop out deep, black, sweet smelling black gold.

'I'd love some', I drool.

'I was hoping you would take ALL of it' she says. My mouth drops open and I get the rising sense of joy that I now know anyone who wins the lottery must feel. There is more there than I would use for the rest of my days.

So, you probably guessed it, yesterday was spent on my tractor, pulling load after load in my mate's tipping trailer with a grin on my face that would make the Cheshire Cat pale into insignificance.

Grin2:-) Grin2:-) Grin2:-) Grin2:-) Grin2:-) Grin2:-) Grin2:-) Grin2:-)

Going again today.

aftermidnight

« Reply #2054 on: June 02, 2017, 07:47:37 AM »

OMG, did you ever hit a gold mine, only another gardener would understand this, says she who always took a plastic bag with her when we went for a walk in a park where people rode their horses. Always had a bucket and shovel when we went for a ride out in the country. You must be in seventh heaven  clap:-).

Annette

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2055 on: June 02, 2017, 02:09:59 PM »

A different angle on "Fell in shit & came up smelling of roses" there Tommo   ROL :-)) clap:-)

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #2056 on: June 03, 2017, 08:05:06 AM »

Usually the other way round for me  lol(1)

Anyway.. Night before last, just before turning in I spotted that distinctive flash of eyes in the headlights X 2 out in the garden orchard. Checked there were pellets in the rotary magazine, leaned against the window frame.....2 more that won't be dining out on APS.

This morning, downstairs making TLR her early morning cuppa, glanced out the window. Brazen as you like in the middle of the lawn a meal-for-two sized adult. It must have heard me slowly opening the window as it decided to take cover in the raspberry canes. I waited. Eventually up came its head checking for all clear.....1 more that won't be producing babies that dine out on my APS.

And that's before I get out and start my day.

Just to be clear about this. I don't like having to kill indiscriminately. I prefer to 'outwit' predators or vermin even though in some cases it means financial outlay to do it - erecting rabbit proof fencing, for example. I do kill for meat, whether it be pigeons, rabbits, fish, deer. In the case of rats or fluffy tailed rats (squirrels to you) I have NO compunction at all as the damage they do can be serious.

Sorry if any of this offends Shed members. I just wanted to distance myself from the loony gun-toting kill anything that moves trophy hunters we read about in the papers.

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2057 on: June 03, 2017, 09:15:39 AM »

Tommo I know how you must feel now FOURTEEN YEARS WORTH OF PRIME HORSE MANURE JUST LIKE WINNING THE LOTTERY  Grin2:-)  RedFaced:-(

Well I feel good to harvested my first Strawberry yesterday a whopper too it was. See pic.

aftermidnight

« Reply #2058 on: June 03, 2017, 03:02:27 PM »

Tommo, when it comes down to a matter of survival of being able to produce food for your table you just have to do what you have to do.

Annette

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2059 on: June 04, 2017, 10:40:07 PM »

Tommo I know how you must feel now FOURTEEN YEARS WORTH OF PRIME HORSE MANURE JUST LIKE WINNING THE LOTTERY  Grin2:-)  RedFaced:-(

Well I feel good to harvested my first Strawberry yesterday a whopper too it was. See pic.

That's a 'beaut' Dave - I hope you washed your hands before popping it in your mouth after wearing those gloves!!!  what:-o
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 107   Go Up