Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
  • WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY IN YOUR GARDEN / ALLOTMENT 5 3
Currently:  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 104   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY IN YOUR GARDEN / ALLOTMENT  (Read 11979 times)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY IN YOUR GARDEN / ALLOTMENT
« Reply #2000 on: April 14, 2017, 07:04:28 PM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I said it looks a little better today HA!!! that didn't last long, more rain then, lightning and thunder that actually shook the house and then a torrential downpour. The street out front looked like a river and then....down came the hail. Needless to say I stayed in the house, the tomatoes can wait another day. The saying around here is don't plant lettuce until after April hail if you don't want it shredded and not to plant your tomatoes out until the snow's off Mt. Benson. A good rule of thumb for around here.

Annette

Sounds like 'good ol' Canadian spring weather Annette! It's been dry here but with a keen breeze - not the time to cast off clothes! Today the rain came back, thanks to a low pressure trough from the Atlantic  ss:-(
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2001 on: April 14, 2017, 07:06:45 PM »

Looking good Dave - a good plan for that tree shaded area I'd say  ThU5:-).
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2002 on: April 14, 2017, 09:56:39 PM »

Looking good Dave - a good plan for that tree shaded area I'd say  ThU5:-).

lol(1) Or a decent bench so that you can sit out of the sun .. CThUpD:-) CThUpD:-)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 11:35:37 AM by Big Gee »
ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2003 on: April 16, 2017, 05:37:00 PM »

Finally got bed prepared and Rhubarb in.
Got it in this morning before the rain came should water it in nicely.
Here is a photo.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2004 on: April 16, 2017, 11:40:15 PM »

Looks healthy Dave - you should reap your reward next spring. Don't go over-picking it too soon though. The experts in the Rhubarb "triangle" up north let it establish for at least three years before they attack it fully! West Yorkshire once produced 90% of the world's winter forced rhubarb from the forcing sheds that were common across the fields there. Talking of Yorkshire - Wonky's very quiet these days - anyone heard from him?

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2005 on: April 18, 2017, 09:05:13 PM »

Rhubard yuk hate it but have noticed that every allotment plot seems to have it growing it all seems to be flowering here ..
Well today went to plot got the grass paths all cut and cut the grass outside my plot aswell very overgrown .. Weatherman say ing hard frost here tonight and also chance of it for the next few days ...  Not seen our Wonky on here for a while now seems like we have lost a few growers on here recently ...

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2006 on: April 18, 2017, 11:53:09 PM »

It's fun to grow - even if you don't like to eat it Scary. Never a shortage of people you can give it away to, and it's a spectacular plant to grow - it's impressive, it even doubles up as an ornamental plant, just for it's good looks. Some varieties of rhubarb have a tendency to 'bolt'. Other common causes are plant stress, often caused by dry conditions, rhubarb is a water lover. Also the age of the plant. Some people are puzzled why their rhubarb runs to seed (bolts), after they've had it for a few years without the problem, simple reason - it's grown up! A mature, older plant has a tendency to do that. Simple cure split the crown and replant. All plants react to stress by flowering, to produce seed because they think they're dying, so they get on with the job of reproduction before it's too late!

Frost forecast? What's frost? We haven't had any frost this winter
.    Grin2:-)

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2007 on: April 19, 2017, 08:10:52 PM »

Taught me a few good things about the old rhoobarb gee ...  Had frost here about a week ago had to scrape the windscreen off .. With all these weather changes happening you may well get frost in the future ...

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2008 on: April 20, 2017, 12:59:29 AM »

Taught me a few good things about the old rhoobarb gee ...  Had frost here about a week ago had to scrape the windscreen off .. With all these weather changes happening you may well get frost in the future ...

Nah! With all those soft warm (not to mention wet) breezes wafting in from the Atlantic we're saved from the scourge of frost! Well most of the time . . . . I'd swap a few drops of rain for a little cold snap over here though - just to kill a few bucketfulls of slimy munchers!

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #2009 on: April 20, 2017, 07:10:54 AM »

Apologies for my temporary absence lately. Been flat out seed sowing, strimming, mowing, polytunneling ( new verb?!) and trying to fit in overdoing it on the holding along with entertaining a couple of couples who are good friends from the Midlands.

Things are beginning to resemble normality, whatever that is, although I still have mountains to climb. Pricking out 300 and odd lettuce, X 4 varieties, broccoli, sprouts; sowing endless trays of runners ( sorry, Gee - commercial ones this year for sale as all available APS went to you), climbing French, 22 varieties of tomatoes ( well I can't be Poppa Tommo for nothing can I!) X 20 each and so on on and on.

Expecting 4 orphan, third of triplet lambs tomorrow, so they will need bottle feeding four times a day for the next 6 weeks or so, and me mate, Tim, wants to raise 3 pigs in the pig paddocks soon so all that has to be got ready.

I managed to locate, locally, another bare ploytunnel, this one 15' wide by 45' long. All there in great condition at a great price. Pick that up after work tomorrow evening. So I'm determined to get that erected very soon; just needs a new cover and a few brackets.

Glad that we've been rain free for the past 10 days so now I can get onto the soil and prepare some veg plots....if any Shedites out there want a working holiday with free board and lodging please apply ASAP  what:-o what:-o what:-o what:-o

Oh yes...I've just been given...YES, GIVEN...an old Howard 200 rotavator. Just needs a service kit, a strip down , paint up and lubricate and it'll be as good as new.....still, as my farmer mate Gary says..." Now that we've got an extra hour in the day You'll be able to get everything done!" .....and he meant it.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2010 on: April 20, 2017, 02:28:11 PM »

Been a 'busy boy' by the sound of it Tommo! I was wondering where you'd got to. You're going to be looking for more land the way you're going at it!

Talking of which, I'm still 'landless' (is that a word?) It's a novel sized story-line so far, but I promise I'll reveal all when the time arrives. To cut a long, long story short, we have been refused a site by the Aberaeron Town Council, their excuse is that a site already exists (that's the lunatic asylum) and they do not believe there is a demand for further plots in the area because the lunatic asylum have said that they don't have a waiting list, (bullshit in other words). Anyway, we decided on a different angle of attack. We researched the validity of the County Council's ownership of the land that the lunatic asylum is on. We discovered that there is no record of registration at the Land Registry, and the field is shown as 'unregistered'. That is not a big surprise, because many parcels of land are unregistered, because compulsory registration did not come into force until 1972. So we dug further.

We then discovered that the field was actually bought by a family in 1936. There is no record of them selling, donating or passing it on to the Council since then. SO we decided to go down the Freedom of Information route. Click
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to see the revelations! It's turning into a battle royal with the Information Commissioner's office now involved. we've also engaged a genealogist from north Wales to trace the descendants of the family who originally bought the field in 1936. It is becoming increasingly clear that the field in question may have actually become abandoned, and the Council, through ignorance or wilfully, quietly commandeered it, and then rented it out. This makes them trespassers and the lunatics may be squatters. If we can find who the land legally belongs to (descendent of the origina family that purchased it) then we may be able to come to some arrangements with whoever they are. Fingers crossed. If we are successful, it will mean two things, we may be able to take back the field to it's rightful owners, and in the process relieve the Council of it's use, and secondly, with that field out of the way, the Aberaeron Town Council objection falls on it's face. Happy days in interesting times!

Where I'm going with this, is that I'm again 'landless' again this season. Whilst I could probably get someone to sow a handful of APS beans for me, it would be a risky business, due to cross pollination problems, and a step back in the process of refining the strain. I know you wiped yourself out of bean seeds for this season Tommo, but I still in fact have a few of my core stock left here. Now if you could see a way - through the kindness of your heart - to find a little corner to sow a few, then I would be eternally grateful. Also it would mean that the requests I've received for this season's seeds can be fulfilled.

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #2011 on: April 20, 2017, 10:17:34 PM »

Ri think you must have inherited Westheath Dave's memory, Gee.

If you cast your mind back I did say that I had selected out about 3 dozen if your finest, slimmest, blackest APS and kept them for my seed stock this year. They will be the ONLY runners that I will grow and they should yield well now that I have developed my bunny-proof barriers.

So. Rest assured, the future is not orange it is most definitely purple.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2012 on: April 20, 2017, 11:28:20 PM »

Ri think you must have inherited Westheath Dave's memory, Gee.

If you cast your mind back I did say that I had selected out about 3 dozen if your finest, slimmest, blackest APS and kept them for my seed stock this year. They will be the ONLY runners that I will grow and they should yield well now that I have developed my bunny-proof barriers.

So. Rest assured, the future is not orange it is most definitely purple.

Oh! I must have misunderstood this bit:
sowing endless trays of runners ( sorry, Gee - commercial ones this year for sale as all available APS went to you)

Maybe I am losing it - I feel a bit confused now . . . must lie down for 5 & work this one out . . . . !
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 07:28:41 PM by Big Gee »

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #2013 on: April 21, 2017, 08:21:36 AM »

Ok big fella....here is a clip of the article I mentioned keeping enough APS FOR THIS YEAR. I don't expect you to remember everything with all your trials and tribulations. Rest assured, the mighty APS is about to be sown, protected and grown .

Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 08:45:30 AM
[size=0.85em]You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
[/size][/size]
  • [size=0.85em]You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login[/size]
[size=0.85em][/size]
  • [size=0.85em]You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login[/size]
[size=0.85em][/size]
  • [size=0.85em]
    |You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
    Hi Annette here is a copy I've posted on the Gardenweb.

Yep - this year we have had a real rabbit problem. After two 'just when you think you've built the final barrier' attempts I managed to keep the buggers out at the third attempt. This resulted in a late and greatly reduced seed stock. I only managed to produce about 650 seeds, which is less than a quarter of the amount I send to Big Gee. Usually I keep that amount for myself as I grow and sell 6 cell trays in the late spring. Next year I have only kept 40 for my seed stock and non to grow on and sell. I have, though kept the very best, slimline, deep, deep purple ones.
    u

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2014 on: April 21, 2017, 07:35:47 PM »

Ok big fella....here is a clip of the article I mentioned keeping enough APS FOR THIS YEAR. I don't expect you to remember everything with all your trials and tribulations. Rest assured, the mighty APS is about to be sown, protected and grown .

Oh! That's a relief then! You're probably right about "trials and tribulations" it's been a frigging awful year or more for me (see I can't even remember how long I've been in this dark place!).

A funny thing memory, it seems to continually update your priority list for things that are important enough to need recall. It seems that the APS subject has slipped down quite a few positions in the mental priority league.

Which reminds me, HI told me a few weeks back that she had completed her perpetual decorating schedule. She told me to let you know that the coast is now clear for you and Ruth to pop up for a break. Guess what? I forgot to tell you!!!  ss:-(

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2015 on: April 24, 2017, 10:59:50 PM »

Absolutley nowt today or the rest of this week  judging by the predicted weather it,s just not good enough to do anything   spf:-(  . Quiet on here so off for a early night ..
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 11:06:27 PM by scary crow »

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #2016 on: April 24, 2017, 11:36:56 PM »

Oh! That's a relief then! You're probably right about "trials and tribulations" it's been a frigging awful year or more for me (see I can't even remember how long I've been in this dark place!).

A funny thing memory, it seems to continually update your priority list for things that are important enough to need recall. It seems that the APS subject has slipped down quite a few positions in the mental priority league.

Which reminds me, HI told me a few weeks back that she had completed her perpetual decorating schedule. She told me to let you know that the coast is now clear for you and Ruth to pop up for a break. Guess what? I forgot to tell you!!!  ss:-(

Ahh, the old grey cells. They remind me of an old tape recorder - reel to reel if memory serves - Grundig TK 14, I think, that my father purloined from work. We had hours/days/weeks of fun making up our stories and sound effects. Gradually the magnetic components of the tape began to wear out and the recordings became less and less discernible. That's my memory that is....a less than perfect playback.

Not sure when we'll be able to get to yours as I now have a large greenhouse full of tiny plants all needing thrice daily attention, but I'm sure I'll work something out. That's one of the reasons I suggested coming up before the mad seed sowing season started.

Such is life.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2017 on: April 25, 2017, 02:04:53 PM »

Sorry Tommo - that was my fault entirely. You're welcome to pop up when things ease off a bit - even if it's only a day or two.

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #2018 on: April 25, 2017, 06:01:45 PM »

Thanks mate. Be sure that I will be up for a day or two when things settle; although I can't see it any time soon.

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2019 on: April 27, 2017, 09:08:47 AM »

Hi all sorry been missing but have been away for a few days in London with the other half. Went to Kew gardens on Saturday nice garden there and lots of interesting stuff there.
It was a nice little break, Sam's brother lives in London, we went by Virgin express train, boy does it go must do 100mph at times in places just under a hour half the journey time.
Not been to plot because of weather + got no car it in garage had a new clutch and because it automatic there is a problem with the computer system waiting to get on diagnostic programme to sort it.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 104   Go Up