Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
  • WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY IN YOUR GARDEN / ALLOTMENT 5 3
Currently:  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99]   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY IN YOUR GARDEN / ALLOTMENT  (Read 10429 times)

scary crow

• Global Moderator
Re: WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY IN YOUR GARDEN / ALLOTMENT
« Reply #1960 on: March 17, 2017, 11:05:45 PM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
spf:-( I have changed my mind about swapping plots it will be tooo much work and not worth the effort as it not that good a plot. So it's back to the old plot.  RedFaced:-(

Think thats a wise move Dave you spent a lot of time and energy on that plot last season so this year you can enjoy growing on it rather than spending another season trying to get that other plot to the standard you like ..
ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #1961 on: March 19, 2017, 10:03:18 AM »

Agreed with that, Scary. You've done a lot with the plot you showed me, Dave, so I would stay put.

Just as I was beginning to enjoy a few days dryish weather and managing to sort out all my blueberries - about 40 large tubs - into their new home which is the aggro mesh ploytunnel I built last summer. Now all I've got to do is top dress and fertilise them all for the coming season.

For any of you into blueberries you will have noticed that they are beginning to show bulging flower buds. It is critical now that you make sure they are not allowed to dry out. Keep them in a couple of inches of water if in tubs, as are mine, in troughs. Allowing the water to disappear will cause the flower buds to not set, shrivel up and die and any set fruit will do the same.

Tied in a few of the remaining raspberries that I haven't been able to get to because of the waterlogged soil in these parts.

Then the tail end of another storm gifted to us from the USA has set me right back for outside work. Now I'll have wait for at least another 3 or 4 days dry weather before I can get on the land. Still, I have a lot of greenhouse work to do as I begin my seed sowing in earnest this week. I've already had several people ask me to reserve to to plant and I haven't even sown them yet!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1962 on: March 19, 2017, 04:23:15 PM »

Grin2:-) Picked a lovely lot of Rhubarb this morning at the old plot.

aftermidnight

• Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
« Reply #1963 on: March 19, 2017, 05:55:36 PM »

Lucky you, mine is just poking above the ground now. Usually we would be eating ours by now but we had a long cold winter this year  usf:-(.

Annette

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #1964 on: March 19, 2017, 07:58:22 PM »

That looks absolutely lovely Dave. Is it Timperly Early? It looks like it.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1965 on: March 19, 2017, 08:23:51 PM »

RedFaced:-( No Idea Gee just rhubarb to me I am afraid to say. Not being an expert  doh:-{

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1966 on: March 20, 2017, 06:54:15 PM »

As you're already harvesting it in March, and the way it looks, my guess is that it is Timperly Early. An excellent early variety that produces ahead of most other varieties. I bet there's no one harvesting other varieties at this time of the year on your site.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1967 on: March 20, 2017, 07:58:37 PM »

I will take your word for it Gee Timperly Early it is then.
Shall be doing Rhubarb crumble tomorrow crumble mix is in the shoppn  delivery tomorrow yum yum looking forward to it all ready to do it is.  clap:-)

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #1968 on: March 21, 2017, 07:15:40 AM »

My rhubarb was given to me by my mother. I always loved hers when we visited and eventually she (reluctantly, but I don't know why?!?) gave me a slice of the rhizome root. It is very happy here and produces loads of delicious, long, pink stalks of superb flavour. I give lots if them away and always get Great feedback from my friends.

Even as we speak its busting out of its forcing tube. A very early variety when everyone else's are barely pushing buds through. I've wondered for years what variety it is and now I know. Thanks, Gee

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1969 on: March 23, 2017, 01:56:01 AM »

My pleasure Tommo!

Check out the "You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login" for everything you need to know about rheubarb.

My personal favourites Timperly Early & Valentine.

aftermidnight

« Reply #1970 on: March 23, 2017, 05:18:02 PM »

Too much rhubarb, make juice and can it. Makes a lovely refreshing summer drink mixed with gingerale, one could also add a bit of zip to it if one was inclined  ;). I have (somewhere) directions for growing great rhubarb from one of my mentors, he's gone now but I still miss him, he had more knowledge in his little fingernail then I'll ever have. His family won best rhubarb at one of big state fairs in the U.S. many years ago. If I can lay my hands on it I'll post them, it might take awhile as they are in that safe place that everybody has and can't remember where ss:-(.
...  or one could freeze it in ice cube trays, package and keep in the freezer to add to a glass of liquid refreshment  :)
Annette
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 05:41:02 PM by aftermidnight »

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1971 on: March 23, 2017, 08:23:22 PM »

I'll look forward to that Annette  ThU5:-)

The tips you've given sound like mouth watering uses for the humble rhubarb!

As you may, or may not know rhubarb is native to Siberia - it also grows wild on the banks of the Volga! Now therein lies a little known secret, what rhubarb loves is a harsh winter - a bit like the ones you get in Canada Annette. Many make the mistake that it needs pampering and keeping protected from frost - not so. Given a good hard winter and plenty of frost it grows invigorated the following spring. However what it doesn't like is to be waterlogged, and it reacts with crown rot - that's why it's good to grow it in a mound, where the water runs off.

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1972 on: March 27, 2017, 05:09:24 PM »

( As you may, or may not know rhubarb is native to Siberia - it also grows wild on the banks of the Volga! Now therein lies a little known secret, what rhubarb loves is a harsh winter - a bit like the ones you get in Canada Annette. Many make the mistake that it needs pampering and keeping protected from frost - not so. Given a good hard winter and plenty of frost it grows invigorated the following spring. However what it doesn't like is to be waterlogged, and it reacts with crown rot - that's why it's good to grow it in a mound, where the water runs off. )
                     ___________________________________________________________________________________

That's good news my rhubarb is growing on a mound that's probably why it has done so well on clay soil which tends to flood.  ThU32:-)

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #1973 on: March 27, 2017, 10:48:53 PM »

Another day of stop-start. With Ruth disabled I barely get started on a job then it's 'stop', have to take her to the physio...sit in the car and wait for her treatment to finish....before being told that we have to drop into Morrisons to 'pick up a few things'. Another hour and a half gone. 1pm, have to stop again to take the dog to the vets where HE has to have a physio appointment....sit....wait ...another hour gone. Get back home and me mate, Tim is waiting, 'can I borrow your big trailer' he asks....another half hour gone as I have to get the tractor out to retrieve said trailer from the paddock. Then, of course there was cooking Ruth's lunch as she can't stand too long, endless cups of tea and so on...it was just endless interruptions.

Eventually I get into the greenhouse where I managed to get started with my seed sowing today....at last.

So, after sterilising my quarter sized seed trays (great investment) it was in with the tomatoes - starting with the two new varieties that Annette sent me and then onto another 8 varieties, some saved, some from packets. I'm still waiting for my delivery from America but will get another propagators full tomorrow. At least it was a nice sunny day.

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1974 on: March 27, 2017, 11:05:42 PM »

The day goes nowhere when you have so many interuptions but you have to care for the love of your life because you no only too well she would do it for you ..  Sounds like she has been in the wars wish her a speedy recovery from us  BOF)  .. And take care of yourself and dont overdo it ..
ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1975 on: March 27, 2017, 11:43:09 PM »

That sounds identical to my weekly shopping day Tommo! Josie doesn't drive. It used to be worse when the boys were home, I did more miles, at more inconvenient times than a taxi driver. I've spent what must now amount to years sitting quietly in the car - usually outside shops.

I hope Ruth gets better soon. 
XK

aftermidnight

« Reply #1976 on: March 28, 2017, 12:42:02 AM »

BOF) Wishing Ruth a speedy recovery.

Annette
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 02:19:31 PM by Big Gee »

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #1977 on: March 28, 2017, 08:31:33 AM »

Thanks to you both, I will pass it on.

Still getting used to this blasted clock altering none-sense. Still it's a promising looking day do even though the body says 7:30 I suppose I'd better get up and do stuff.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1978 on: March 28, 2017, 02:20:41 PM »

Don't talk to me about 'clock fiddling' it's one of my pet hates. The madness of it!

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1979 on: March 28, 2017, 03:31:59 PM »

BOF) Hope Ruth soon gets better and you can get back to normal.  XK
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99]   Go Up