Author Topic: All battened down ready for the storm?  (Read 702 times)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
All battened down ready for the storm?
« on: October 26, 2013, 07:33:12 PM »
Here on the west Wales coast it's going to come screaming in from the Atlantic! Probably a lot of rain too apparently - looks like it could be another flood experience on my plot. Had four last year with my plot under 2 feet of water each time.

Keep safe indoors everyone - it could be nasty according to the met Office. It's also supposed to spread further north than they first anticipated according to the news today.

Not the weather to be outside on your plots! :o

Offline captainhastings

• ¾ Plot Cultivator
Re: All battened down ready for the storm?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 02:09:23 PM »
Just got back from making sure my netting is well anchored every thing looks ok at moment

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 02:15:29 PM »
Just got back from making sure my netting is well anchored every thing looks ok at moment

All that's left for you now then is to put the kettle on, put your slippers on, get a good book, turn up the heat, cross your fingers & WAIT!!   CThUpD:-)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 10:49:56 AM »
Well that was a damp squib! I was almost disappointed - or I should say 'short changed' after spending a whole weekend in anticipation of something really big (albeit bad) being about to happen! Going around making sure everything was either nailed or tied down - EVERYONE has been talking about it, the TV & radio news was full of hype yesterday (they like causing panic), the Met Office kept on sending out warnings every hour or so to me - then it never happened for us on the west Wales coast. Not that I'm some sort of masochist, but waiting in anticipation and then nothing is a bit like being cheated!

Maybe cock-ups like this  - before the hurricane hit in 1987 - has something to do with the over hype:

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uqs1YXfdtGE?fs=1&start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How was it for you? Did the earth move?  lol(1)

Do you think I should cancel my subscriptions to met Office alerts?  HTT:-}

Offline spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 03:25:22 PM »
just back from the allotment no damage to my plot but did see a greenhouse with two or three panes missing
all in all we have all got off Scott free   50 plots on the site
spuds
Spuds (mick Ford)
is that the kettle I hear boiling
Newton Abbot Sunny Devon ( most times!)

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 08:21:24 PM »
 ThU32:-) You got to give it to them they were bang on predicting its coming a week ago they did better than Miceal could ever hope to do way back in 1987. If the track had been farther north than it was we would have caught out like the far south did.
I shall still follow the forecasts and believe them.

clap:-)   yrb:-)