Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
  • WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY IN YOUR GARDEN / ALLOTMENT 5 3
Currently:  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 109   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY IN YOUR GARDEN / ALLOTMENT  (Read 15842 times)

rugbypost

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY IN YOUR GARDEN / ALLOTMENT
« on: November 17, 2013, 05:45:42 PM »

Washed  down all around bird table cleaned containers put up fresh bird seed. Dug up a few Leeks, parsnips, and swede ready for H/O  to do a stew in the week. Checked all my summer bulbs are dry and well covered .Last of Bean sticks cleaned and stored. Sweep ed the paths Dog had a bit of a wonder round checking all her friends out they all make a fuss of her then home for dinner.

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
Re: WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY IN YOUR GARDEN / ALLOTMENT
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 08:52:24 PM »

ThU32:-) Very good mate you done more than me not been to plot since Sunday where I took the remaining bean sticks down and stored them in the shed in the roof on new wooden cross pieces I put up in the week before.

rugbypost

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 09:04:57 PM »

Its the army training. lol(1) No once the weather pulls in here its like were you are, if  you don't  pull your boots  on and try to do a bit it all mounts up and I will be honest with you its getting a lot harder but you have a love of the end product, and proud smile when we take it home. ThU432:-)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 09:11:46 PM »

Rugbypost: . . . i ts getting a lot harder but you have a love of the end product, and proud smile when we take it home. ThU432:-)

Very true Corporal Jones - very true! But don't panic . . .   :-)snigger
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 10:45:14 PM »

Would like the oppurtunity to get out but the weather has been no good too wet need a good hard frost then i can get there and get the compost spread out and put plastic sheeting down for the winter and let the worms pull it into the soil ..
ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 10:50:45 PM »

Me too Scary - I haven't seen my lottie for a week! It's stopped raining but far too squelchy to do anything - I'd do more harm than good. Got plenty to do in the polytunnel, but it's so damned cold - and I'm a coldness whimp I'm afraid!

Yep a few days of frost would go down great, in fact it's what they promise for the next few days - so start warming your socks!.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 10:59:09 PM »

Some on our site started digging a few areas last week i think it,s just too wet the soil sticks to your boots does more harm than good digging that... I would rather wait and do it once properly ...

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 11:06:16 PM »

Very wise - some old gardeners think that autumn/ winter digging can cause more damage than good. That's definately the case with wet soil - you could be making a rod for your own back. Leave it to nature for winter is best and think about digging when it dries out and the soil warms up in spring. I'm not even a big fan of autumn sowing - it often brings more tears than smiles! The only thing that is beneficial is rough digging manured soil to bury it for winter.

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 11:13:40 PM »

Any leaves and we get plenty off the hedge on our plot are raked off the paths added to any manure/compost  we have just chucked on the surface and sheet it over for the worms to play with ...Any thing that you have planted in the winter here has to be well protected  from hungry wood pigeons and deer ...

marcofez

• Plot Cultivator
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 10:08:20 PM »

Collected 30 bags of straw/horse manure to spread out over the beds next time I'm off from work. They'll rot down over winter and be just about right next spring!! ThU:-) The more strawey stuff will go in the compost heap!

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 11:30:50 PM »

I STILL haven't visited my plot for nearly a week - TOO cold & TOO wet. Still REALLY squelchy under foot, but with no rain for a couple of days, and hopefully a bit of frost I might attack my manure heap in the next few days. I've also got my compost bins to turn to make room for the green debris that's heaped up at the moment on the plot . Never ends does it?!  ::)

rugbypost

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 12:23:38 PM »

I have raised beds its easier for me , so as the veg from one bed is all picked its dug down to 12/18 inches manure added then spread on top. Always had to be in front love to get on a plane in July for a month in  Greece . When the last one flew the nest (but they all still visit pity) we said that we would have a holiday as long as we felt well enough. There was a few on our plot today on youngsters mind all in bed with bad heads from watching a bad game of rugby.

rugbypost

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 07:30:29 PM »

I have 4 ft troughs  screwed to the back walls along my lawn that are full of strawberry  plants so I,m trying slowly to dead head them  and clean them Wont bother with fertilizer until the spring. Like to get out for a hour a day even in light rain its something I am used to  its  a routine  or habit. Certain friends who pass at the same time every day stop chat, sweep the front , clean the drains, wash down stairs windows, just some thing always done from first got married both worked. And I know exactly what she will call me , when I go back indoors, and  then says I,ll get your slippers Bless Her.

galina

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 09:39:51 AM »

Harvested a few leaves of mustard from under the cloche.  Green mustard rather the red I've been growing before.  Chewed a bit, then bang!  Clears the sinuses just like horseradish!  Note to self - chop into narrow strips  and use sparingly in salads, or cook in stirfry (which stops all the heat)      cry2:-( 

rugbypost

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 06:47:15 PM »

Cleaned around the rhubarb as its all died back put a bag of  manure  wood shavings on top as a dressing ready for spring. dead headed around the strawberry  you can do this daily now as the dead leaves  die back. Tried  to potter about in the shed its all cluttered  with every thing stored away. Swept the front pavement  once a week job (HA) And in for in nice milky coffee.  ThU432:-)

squirrel

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 11:08:59 PM »

Continued with pruning the raspberries and almost finished now.
Dug the bean trench and cleaned around the leeks, onions and garlic.
Mulched the Oca to prevent frost damage
Harvested leeks, oca, parsnip, carrots, cabbage celery and kale.
Then came home to find that the great disorganised one had got himself organised and made a very welcoming bowl of spicy broth for me to come home to.
Siighhhh Life doesn't get much better than this. HAGD :-)
squirrels are often out their trees but never short of nuts.

rugbypost

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 05:35:01 PM »

All the bird feeders were all solid in the bottom took them all apart,  good wash  and then a hour to put them back together.  Washed down the patio dog decided I was to blame for not giving her a walk and did the business on the patio.

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 10:24:47 PM »

Wel im hoping to get out tomorrow at least for a couple of hours just to tidy a few things up .... :)

lottieguy

• Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2013, 09:34:56 AM »

Yesterday, took 2 pallets to use to make compost bins. Set up syphon between water butts to get the water to other end of plot. Pulled some parsnip and carrots for dinner. Found out someone has been helping themselves to carrots. I always keep them covered with enviromesh but when I went there it was laid back down differently. I would not do that if you know what I mean. I know how I have left everything so when it's moved I know. We have had several visitors recently. If they asked you would give them some. I also spread a load of well rotted leaf mould over ground to rot down even more for next season. Cleared shed gutters of leaves. Just enjoyed a little potter around. love it. happy gardening to all.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2013, 12:21:31 PM »

Yesterday, took 2 pallets to use to make compost bins. Set up syphon between water butts to get the water to other end of plot. Pulled some parsnip and carrots for dinner. Found out someone has been helping themselves to carrots. I always keep them covered with enviromesh but when I went there it was laid back down differently. I would not do that if you know what I mean. I know how I have left everything so when it's moved I know. We have had several visitors recently. If they asked you would give them some. I also spread a load of well rotted leaf mould over ground to rot down even more for next season. Cleared shed gutters of leaves. Just enjoyed a little potter around. love it. happy gardening to all.

You're putting many of us to shame there 'lottieguy'!!  :o

THAT is a pet hate of mine - people who dip into your hard worked for produce, especially when like you, most of us are generous enough to gladly give stuff away gladly - if shown the decency to be asked first.

What people don't realise is that most allotmenteers instantly notice things that have been tampered with. It may seem irrelevant to others but we know EXACTLY how our clutter should look & we immediately know if someone else has moved or changed anything. It's almost instinctive isn't it?  8)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 109   Go Up