Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Far can you Go  (Read 175 times)

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
How Far can you Go
« on: July 01, 2014, 08:59:41 AM »

Just thought this might be of some help to those who are getting used to their kefir and are still experimenting with how long to ferment it for.

This is what I do.

I have two fermenting tubs and one oat and buckwheat tub.

My method:

Day 1:
When I start I have fresh kefir grains/florets, put them in tub 1 in the morning and leave to ferment for 24 hours
Also start off tub 2 at the same time - also leave for 24 hours.

Day 2:
Strain the contents of tub 1 into a larger tub (the  oat and buckwheat tub, now known as the 'oaty mix tub'), add a tablespoon of porridge oats and a teaspoon of buckwheat flour into this larger tub, put on the lid and thoroughly shake it up to mix. Leave this tub to carry on fermenting for another 24 hours.
Also on day 2 re-charge the kefir grains in tub 1 and leave for 24 hours.

Day 3:
Pour the contents of the oaty mix tub into your blender along with any friuts, nuts, honey, veg's etc that you like to blend it with (see my supersmoothie recipe which is what we have every day). Whizz this up and enjoy.
You now also have tub 2 which has been fermenting for 2 days. I strain this off into the oaty mix tub, add oats and buckwheat flour as before and set aside for 24 hours.
I also always rise out the tubs between uses. Now in tub 2 you add some more milk of your choice and set aside.

Day 4:
By now, tub 1 will have been fermenting for 2 days, so, pour the oaty mix into your blender, do your smoothie and consume with great relish;  strain tub 1 into your oaty tub ad the oaty stuff; refil tub 1 with milk.

This has created a 3 day cycle which you then continue with.

So what is the point of telling you this? Well in a previous post Mr. Toe was concerned with the kefir he had left for some time and didn't look or smell right. So I am adding a couple of pictues to show you what mine looks like on a daily basis. Now of course iat is all down to taste and some like it fermented only after 12 hours. The choice is yours and, trust me, your tastes will change. Remember tht the longer you leave it to ferment the stronger/more sour it will become but also the good stuff will increase too.

So here is what mine look like a 3 day cycle:

Kefir after 2 days

The Oaty Mix made with 2 day-old strained kefir milk with added oats and buckwheat and left for a further 24 your before consuming.

So in the final oaty mix tub just before consuming the actual kefir content has been going for 3 days.

Hope this gives a perspective
KT

« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 09:05:56 AM by King Tommy »
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: How Far can you Go
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 10:23:43 AM »

Thanks Tommo - that's pretty much the way I do it - based on what you told me originally, only my cycle is 48 hours (2 days) rather than 72 hours like your cycle. I find the mix is more inclined to seperate after adding the oats & buckwheat. The seperation disappears when the mixer comes into play.  ThU5:-)

I've never yet had a fermentation go 'off' on me, but it can get mighty sour if left longer. I tend to balance that out by adding a bit more honey. A big factor is also what fruit is used and how ripe it is when everything is blended for the final smoothie.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Btoe

• Plot Cultivator
  • Username: easyonthebrain
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 02:23:29 PM »

Tommo, that actually helped a lot, thanks for the info and the photos. I usually leave the Kefir for the 48hours but think that the warmer temperatures in the kitchen had caused a much great separation than usual leading me to think that I'd blown it. I will defo have to try the porridge and buckwheat recipe as usually just stick to the fruit added smoothies. The wife really likes them and must admit to being surprised when she took to it. She doesn't like the straight Kefir although I sometimes do drink it plain.  chrs:-)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 06:20:20 PM »

I think the WHOLE world should drink kefir & kombucha - I'm convinced it would be a much healthier place!  HTT:-}
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 10:53:15 PM »

Hear hear1
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Btoe

• Plot Cultivator
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 08:42:41 AM »

Once I get settled back into my routine with the kefir, I would like to try the Kombucha at some point too. FYI there was a bit on Kombucha on Weird Foods of America or similar name  chrs:-)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 08:40:29 PM »

It sounds very American "WEIRD FOOD!" . It's not a food, and it's definately NOT American.

If they don't hijack it they'll always twist it's history and source. I just LOVE them for that!!  Angry:-{

It annoys the hell out of me to see the Hollywood version of cowboys & indians - that we grew up with, when they first pranced across our black & white screens. It's disgraceful that they're allowed to get away with it. Cowboys & Indians DEFINATELY did NOT look like The Lone Ranger & Tonto! Kombucha comes from the east not the west!!

Hollywood licence "my arse" - SORRY I've gone off on one now . . . . I must try and stop doing this . . . .   chkl:-]

Btoe

• Plot Cultivator
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 10:06:30 PM »

ROL :-)) Sorry Gee, didn't know you'd blow. They did actually allude to the fact that that Kombucha came from the east and went into how it was made etc. It was actually a pretty good basic description...other than that the programme is usually filled with some weird foods. Hope, b.p has came down a bit now Gee

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 12:22:27 PM »

cwl:-] Yes it's back to normal thanks! Got to have a little rant at one end of the day or the other!!! We Celts are a bit like that - off like a rocket but down to earth again in a very short time. It bemuses a lot of the "cooler" type people who take a long time to wind up but then stay wound up for a long time. Now that IS bad for your BP I reckon - better to get it over with as soon as possible!  lol(1)

Did they call a SCOBY a "mushroom" on that programme? That's another annoying habit the Americans have . . . . 

Btoe

• Plot Cultivator
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 12:37:28 PM »

Yep they calledit a mushroom thingy  lol(1)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 12:48:22 PM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yep they calledit a mushroom thingy  lol(1)

I knew it . . . I just knew it . . . .  Angry:-{ - shit - I'm off again!!!!

Btoe

• Plot Cultivator
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 02:13:14 PM »

ROL :-)) cwl:-] lol(1)

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 08:03:49 PM »

Deep breaths gee  ROL :-))
ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 10:33:41 PM »

I'll need a bloody oxygen cylinder the amount of deep breaths I need lately!!  lol(1)

galina

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 01:39:05 PM »

Reading the heading (and knowing that you are 'kefir powered' at the start of the day) I wondered whether it was a competition - we all get a supersmoothie at the start, then get sent on a long walk/run.  Report back and you will see how far we can go 'kefir fuelled'  lol(1)

Sorry just my imagination running overtime   mad:-|
Pages: [1]   Go Up