Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hedgehog sighting  (Read 218 times)

wonky

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: leaningshed
  • It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
Hedgehog sighting
« on: June 17, 2014, 09:31:36 AM »

I was pleased to find a Hedgehog nest well hidden amongst the strawberries but then realised that there was a dead youngster alongside it. All that remained was the spiny coat everything else had been eaten away and quite recently - not a pretty sight! I'm more curious as to what might have eaten it. The nest and strawbs are protected by chicken wire on 4 sides with a Harris fence at the back making access for anything bigger than a Hedgehog quite difficult. Perhaps a rat?

wonky.
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Hedgehog sighting
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 11:53:29 AM »

Being a youngster, were the spines soft? Hedgehogs are pretty well protected but youngsters are vulnerable until their spines harden.

It could be a variety of things. Animals that eat hedgehogs include birds of prey such as hawks and owls. Other animals that kill and eat them are foxes, ferrets and weasels. Your wire netting would rule out the birds of prey, a fox (or badger - because they're on old Brock's menu as well) would be a bit big and would have caused a bigger mess of the surrounding strawberry bed. Rats are a doubtful which leaves ferrets or weasels which would be my guess.

You're the ferret expert scary - what do you think?

The biggest predator of hedgehogs around us is a Jack Russell terrier called Spot off a neighbour's farm - he's got a mission in life to kill all the hedgehogs he can find! The little sod has perfected his technique, he also goes berserk barking and growling when he finds one. When we hear his commotion in our garden we rush out to usually find him with a cornered hedgehog that usually goes into hiding under my coldframe at home. I don't know how many times we've saved his life - it's also probably the same hedgehog whose developed the clever strategy of diving under the coldframe where Spot can't get to him and the cavalry arrives to take Spot home!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

wonky

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: leaningshed
  • It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 01:45:27 PM »

Very much the white soft spined youngster so at the most vulnerable age.

wonky.
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 07:47:26 PM »

Ferret or polecat weasel or stoat would have taken the body away most probally it was  it,s own mother that ate it as they like a bit of meat and believe in waste not want not especially if the youngster had died they like to clear up as not to attract predators ..If there had been a predator there the female hedgehog would of carried any remaining youngsters away to safety she would not stay anywhere she felt was unsafe ..So fresh messy meal i think mummy got the munchies it,s quiet normal in the animal world ..
ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 04:07:27 PM »

ThU432:-) saw a hedgehog in my back garden last night, just let the dog out before bedtime around 1130pm  and he was barking like mad went to see what all the fuss was about and there it was all curled up in a ball so dog could not bite
that's the first wild hedgehog I have seen for years hope he/she comes back or better still  it may even be sleeping under my shed   
Spuds (mick Ford)
is that the kettle I hear boiling
Newton Abbot Sunny Devon ( most times!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up