Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rust on my Garlic  (Read 256 times)

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
Re: Rust on my Garlic
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2014, 10:40:18 PM »

No, it has a good sized swollen stem but no divisions into cloves just yet. I should take a picture of it really and post it on here so I may do that tomorrow.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

captainhastings

• ¾ Plot Cultivator
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2014, 10:52:45 PM »

would be interested to see the foliage mine is about 50 percent yellow now and from what I read it is best to harvest to early rather than late. As I say I will do an exploratory pull tomorrow to see what's happening

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2014, 01:46:05 AM »

I wouldn't push it too far fellas! Those little spores are multiplying by the minute. Better to remove them as soon as poss rather than risk long term heavy contamination for a long time in the soil - for the sake of a few bulbs for this year. But it's up to you.  spf:-(
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

captainhastings

• ¾ Plot Cultivator
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2014, 08:28:49 PM »

Well I pulled my garlic today some quite nice bulbs. Few small ones so bought them home and few whoppers so they have gone in the for seed section. All spread out on a wire rack in the shed smelling nice :)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2014, 09:40:18 PM »

They don't look too bad cap'n considering they were lifted a little prematurely - at least you saved your bulbs!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2014, 06:46:13 AM »

Better looking than mine. You have some well defined cloves there. Mine aren't that far on yet, sadly.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2014, 12:53:48 PM »

I always find it sad when someone falls foul of something that destroys their crop - especially if it might be a long term problem, as it sometimes is with fungal infections like allium rust. Spores are tough, tenacious & long lived little sods. That's why they'ved survived so well & for so long on this planet. The UK's mildly cool & wet climate is made for the little swines.  ss:-(

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2014, 10:27:27 PM »

I know...the really hard bit is letting go...all that hard work and promise of  a good crop. These garlic are some of the best I've grown, so to destroy them is crappy, shit, poo, bum. But I supose it is inevitable. You may hear the sobs in Wales!

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2014, 11:29:41 PM »

That's a real hard cookie to swallow mate but all we can do is hope we do not get it next year nothing worse than hard work going to waste.  usf:-(

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 07:48:09 AM »

Here's a couple of pictures. With the second one you can see some developing cloves. I picked these ones from a different variety further in the block of plants. If I dare leave them a couple of weeks then maybe I'll get something after all.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2014, 10:33:37 AM »

The bulbs certainly look healthy enough at this stage Tommo, but the foliage tells the story doesn't it? Walking dead I'm afraid mate - it's only a matter of time I fear  spf:-(

@Dave - did you have a recurrance of that white rot in your onions that you suffered a season or two ago? I forgot to ask before. That's also a fungal allium problem, or did you escape by growing them well enough away from the infected area. I know you've been making raised beds - has that helped?

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2014, 06:43:21 PM »

@Dave - did you have a recurrance of that white rot in your onions that you suffered a season or two ago? I forgot to ask before. That's also a fungal allium problem, or did you escape by growing them well enough away from the infected area. I know you've been making raised beds - has that helped?

ROL :-)) Dunno yet mate they not even seen the plot yet still at home in seed trays  cmu:-)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 02:08:40 AM by Big Gee »

Princess Starryshapes

• “It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
  • ¾ Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Starryshapes
  • throwing down my Starryshapes, Gardening styles...
    • Live Abundance
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2015, 04:24:10 PM »

Poopooweeweebottombogey.

That's the best phrase of all time. If I do say so myself.
“You-you alone will have the stars as no one else has them...In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing, when you look at the sky at night...You-only you-will have stars that can laugh.”
―Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2015, 12:14:22 AM »

Typing words like that is what comes of allowing Devil Food to contaminate your brain!!!  ROL :-))

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2015, 06:22:24 PM »

spf:-( In reply to your ? about my onions Gee, I have not had success at all very small what I have got due to late start no rot but only got about 5 any good all tooooo small. My garlic was very poor all very small not very good at all.  cry:-(

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2015, 01:48:24 AM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
spf:-( In reply to your ? about my onions Gee, I have not had success at all very small what I have got due to late start no rot but only got about 5 any good all tooooo small. My garlic was very poor all very small not very good at all.  cry:-(

Pity about the onions Dave - they are a crop that needs a good early start up till the longest day - the amount of green leaf produced by the summer solstice dictates the size of the bulb. We've got a problem with rotting bulbs here this year - but not white rot thankfully. I helped my mate Stephen lift his crop tonight - about 300 bulbs - doesn't do things by half does our Stephen!

Your health will benefit from not having any Devil Food Dave - so it's not all bad news  CW ;-)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 10:35:00 AM by Big Gee »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up