Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rhubarb Jam / Cordial  (Read 81 times)

Snuzz

• ľ Plot Cultivator
Rhubarb Jam / Cordial
« on: May 04, 2014, 05:18:53 PM »

Rhubarb Jam
400g rhubarb
400g sugar
1 lemon rind

Wash and chop rhubarb to about 1inch pieces

Put in pan and put sugar on top.

Low heat to melt the sugar

Once sugar melted add lemon rind

Turn up the heat and boil for 10 min

Hope you have fun making it

Cordial
 500g fruit of your choice,, 275ml water,, 250g sugar, half teaspoon citric acid,,, method,,, in a heavy pan simmer sugar fruit and water for 5 mins, using a potato masher break up fruit to release as much juice as possible,,, add citric acid and simmer further 2 mins,,,, strain the mix through muslin , ( i use a fine sieve) pour liquid into a sterilized bottle and keep in the fridge, enjoy

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Rhubarb Jam / Cordial
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 05:23:24 PM »

clap:-) Thanks Snuzz - sounds like a nice easy one that - even a cack handed chef like me could handle that one!

Have you got one for rhubarb & ginger?  ThU5:-)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Snuzz

• ľ Plot Cultivator
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 07:29:49 PM »

Rhubarb and Ginger Jam

Makes 3 Jars

Ingredients:

500g rhubarb, 2cm chunks

500g jam sugar

zest & juice of 1 lemon

thumb sized piece of root ginger

50g stem ginger, finely cubed

Method:

Tip the rhubarb pieces into a large bowl, along with the sugar, lemon juice, zest and cubed stem ginger.

Peel the root ginger and grate it over the rhubarb before mixing thoroughly and leaving to sit for 2 hours, turning with a spoon every 30 minutes.

Once most of the sugar has dissolved, tip the contents of the mixing bowl into a large sauce pan and bring to a brisk boil.

Turn the heat down and simmer for 40-50 minutes, until the rhubarb has broken down. Pop a couple of small plates in the freezer.

After 40 minutes take a small amount of the jam and place it on one of the chilled plates. Once a minute has passed push the cool jam with your finger. If the surface of the jam wrinkles itís ready. If not, give it a few minutes more and try again.

When ready, transfer the jam into three sterilised jars, seal and leave to cool. Once open, store the jam in the fridge, where itíll last for many months.

starlet83

• ľ Plot Cultivator
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 09:16:04 PM »

Sounds gorgeous!  We are off to the children's allotments on Thursday.  They always have bundles of Rhubarb recently for 50p. I might give the jam a go!  ThU:-)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 02:00:53 AM »

THAT is my favourite jam Snuzz! After 'bramble jelly'.

It will go in the 'Josie's Recipes' page on the AVAS web-site. Probably over the winter months - I promised I'd do it last winter but never finished it. I hope to get it done this autumn/ winter though. So keep those recipes coming in!  ThU:-)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Pages: [1]   Go Up