Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ready to Split Mine - Anybody want some??  (Read 282 times)

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
Ready to Split Mine - Anybody want some??
« on: April 27, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »

I'm ready to split my Kefir grains again. Should anyone want some drop me a PM with your address on. If I don't hear then it's off to the compost it goes. Mine grow for splitting about once every fortnight to three weeks so book in advance if you don't get me this time round.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Btoe

• Plot Cultivator
  • Username: easyonthebrain
Re: Ready to Split Mine - Anybody want some??
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 09:33:27 AM »

Hi Kt,

What do you actually do with the Kefir other than add milk to it? Do you have to add yeast etc and after you leave it too ferment can you put the drink into the fridge etc. I did have a read of the intro etc but thought I'd ask anyway.

Cheers Eric clap:-)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 01:07:49 PM »

I'll let the Tomato King answer in more detail.

All I can say is that I was gob-smacked at how simple it is to prepare. All I have is a pint of full cream cow's milk (traditionally goat or ewe's milk are the favourites) & the kefir grains that Tomo sent me. It's as simple as adding the six 'florets' (they look more like small cauliflower florets than grains) into the pint of milk, covering it with a cotton hankerchief and leaving it for a full day. I then strain out the 'grains' put them to to one side, put the fermented milk in the fridge for the next day & then start all over again by introducing the grains back to a fresh pint of milk. End of story! No faff no complications - it's now my before bedtime routine every night.

What you do with the kefir treated milk is up to you - I just drink it 'neat' - it's 'lush' (as my granddaughters would say), very refreshing with a hint of natural yoghurt. It's smooth & thick. You can use it in smoothies or add chopped up fruit - anything that takes your fancy really - just think yoghurt. What you will have though is a very healthy gut & a boost in well being.

Get your order in quick before Tomo puts his surplus grains in the compost bin! I could send you some, but my OH has promised some to a friend this week.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 10:58:35 PM »

You don't really need me to answer that....BG is on a roll.

You can keep it in the fridge, but ask yourself 'Why?'

Just make yourself enough for a drink or two per day and drink it. You will have some more the next day so you don't need to keep any over.

I make about half a pint per day and that is to share between myself and the good lady wife. By the time I have added the 12 ingredients that make up the Super Smoothie    You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  we have both got about 1/3 of a pint of delicious, creamy, energy boosting start to the day.

Hey, BG, if you are leaving the kefir in the fridge overnight try mixing in these two bad boys first: (this is a copy from the Super Smoothie recipe so for one person halve the measure of oats and buckwheat)

Organic oats - all agricultural grains contain phytase, a substance which bind up various minerals from being digested by humans. I soak about a tablespoon of oats in 2-day-old strained kefir overnight so that the phytase is neutralised, thereby, enabling absorption of the essential minerals. Oats are proven to help reduce blood pressure and cholesterol.

Buckwheat Flour -  It has a high content of fiber and protein, and significant amounts of iron and magnesium. Besides, it contains all the eight essential amino acids. Buckwheat is also packed with phyto nutrients which are amazing disease fighting organic components. The several health benefits of buckwheat can be attributed to its amazing nutritional profile. Use about 1teaspoon In the overnight oat and kefir mix.

As you sleep your body will be happily repairing itself.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 11:09:28 PM »

Wow - I love it when you talk 'healthy' Tomo!!!  lol(1)

See - told you he was the expert. I'm a newbie & I haven't yet got over the novelty of making the straight stuff & slurping it 'neat'.

I'll have to put oats on Her indoors' shopping list - would ccommon-or-garden porridge (rolled oats) do instead? That's my usual start to the day. as for the Buckwheat flour she'll have to go foraging for that. Where did you say you get yours Tomo?

Sounds good to me!  ThU:-)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 11:26:44 PM »

Any rolled oats, jumbo oats, crushed oats, porridge oats will be just fine. Just add them and the buckwheat flour to the strained kefir milk (not mixed in with the grains) and leave them on the kitchen work top not in the fridge.

The Buckwheat flour (which isn't related to wheat at all but is related to  sorrel, knotweed, and rhubarb family and is made from the small, triangulas seeds of the buckwheat plant) is readily available from virtually any whole food shops and even from some Sainsbury's or (dare I even utter the foul word) Tesco. Costs around the 2 mark for a kilo of the stuff and it lasts for ever at a teaspoonful per day.

Actually, if you like pancakes, buckwheat adds a different dimension if added to your usual mix.

Can I go to bed now?

Btoe

• Plot Cultivator
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 10:44:29 AM »

Tommo, I'd like to give making the Kefir a bash please. Could I ask you for some of the Kefir that you are splitting please. If it's too late this time can I put my name down for the next time. Thanks mate, Do you want me to pm my address or do you still have it  lol(1)

Regards Eric

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 11:02:33 AM »

Tried the oats/ kefir mix this morning. Prepared it last night & left it overnight, instead of drinking it as a nightcap. Very nice - a bit like tangy porridge. The oats seems to mellow the taste & it's not quite as tangy as the raw stuff. It was like a thick drink after the oats had swelled overnight. It tasted nice & it gave me a strange glow after downing a pint of it - a bit like that feeling you get after drinking a few glasses of wine - if I remember correctly (haven't touched any alcoholic drink for many years - because it doesn't react well with the medicines I have to take). Reminded me of that Ready Brek ad with the glowing kids!!

It must be having some sort of effect for me to feel like that - so breakfast this morning was a glass of kombucha first thing followed by the kefir "porridge". I feel like a health shop on legs!  :-)snigger

Btoe

• Plot Cultivator
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 10:27:25 PM »

Sounds like something I could do with a bit of glowing invigorating  ThU32:-)

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 07:37:08 AM »

I'll send some to you today with a full set of instructions, Eric.

GET READY TO GLOW   RedFaced:-(

Btoe

• Plot Cultivator
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 11:04:56 AM »

Much appreciated King Tommy, can't wait till I get the glow  lol(1)  HAGD :-)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 11:29:30 AM »

You can mock if you want to!

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 11:30:49 AM »

Posted it this morning Eric.

captainhastings

• Plot Cultivator
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 08:09:44 PM »

I would love to be considered in the future king tommy I could do with some thing to pep me up before my cycle to work. Happy to pay what ever costs involved

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 09:15:31 PM »

Sure can - -you might have to wait a couple of weeks - but wait, just a minute, BG oand Ladybird have had some grains of me so maybe theirs will beready to split sooner. If they haven't, or have promissed them to someone else you will be first on my list.
KT

captainhastings

• Plot Cultivator
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 10:46:22 PM »

thank you sounds fascinating look forward to trying it  ThU5:-)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 12:08:18 AM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sure can - -you might have to wait a couple of weeks - but wait, just a minute, BG oand Ladybird have had some grains of me so maybe theirs will beready to split sooner. If they haven't, or have promissed them to someone else you will be first on my list.
KT

I'm ready to split mine this week, but Her Indoors has already talked one of her friends into having some (she's good like that - she's got a whol;e army of her friends on kombucha as well!).

If there's any changes I'll help you out Cap'n - I'll know by tomorrow night.
  ThU5:-)

Btoe

• Plot Cultivator
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 10:51:53 AM »

Thank you again King Tommy, could you pm your address and I will refund the postage please. I really appreciate your kindness.

Regards Eric  clap:-)  chrs:-)

ladybird

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 12:01:05 PM »

I split mine a few days ago and have spare in the fridge.  Just PM address and I will pop in post. Just had a thought,  does the package need to be air tight for posting?
There is no better show of anticipation than a man/woman sowing seeds in a field.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 01:09:17 PM »

Ask Tommo ladybird - he's an expert at it - I was really impressed with his packaging technique! It needs a bit of air inside an airtight package to stop any fluid leakages. Tommo has one of those heat sealers so his package looked as if it had come from a factory.

When I've sent SCOBYs out I've usually put them in a good quality zip sealed (food quality) plastic bag with some starter brew & then I put that bag in a box or something that will protect it from pressure in carriage.

Dave once sent me a SCOBY in a bottle which I thought was a good idea.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up