Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
  • The Super Smoothie 5 1
Currently:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Super Smoothie  (Read 215 times)

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
The Super Smoothie
« on: April 05, 2014, 11:13:22 PM »

I've decided to open the kefir recipes with the Super Smoothie.

After some considerable research into balancing the ingredients for the 'perfect start to the day' for me and the good lady (aka SWMBO) following our various life challenging ailments I have come up with a power-packed, immune system boositing, stamina supporting breakfast in a glass.

Just so's you see where I am coming from, I and the good lady both suffered serious setbacks in terms of having cancers, treatments for same and, thereby, compromised immune systems.

Over the 6 years since all this came about we decided to do all we could to help our battered bodies to make the most of the uncertainties that our lives ahead held for us. We both have to take various medication and this drink helps line the stomach and mitigate against vitamin and mineral depletion. Just out of interest daily living with all it's stresses and pollution robs us of those precious vitamins and minerals too.

Enter Kefir and Kombucha. For now I will concentrate on Kefir.

I am going to assume that you have read the introduction, if not, go there now and then return to this post.

So, here we are.

I brew my Kefir for two days - this converts the basic ingredients in the chosen milk base (un-pasteurised goats milk for us) into more of the amino acids, vitamins and minerals needed by our bodies.

Two tubs rotated-over two days means that you have 2 cultures in two tubs. Use one for the current day's smoothie, top it up with fresh milk and then overlap them each day. This way you are always using a culture that is 2 days old.

Ingredients
These are selected for their precious, health giving properties in a balanced and complementary way.

Strawberries, frozen from last years allotment, so, organic and frozen within 30 minutes of picking. Strawberries are rich in folic acid. Two or three into the liquidiser.

Blueberries - also home grown and frozen, a rich in those 'blue fruit' antioxidants  -small handful.

BananaI use de-hydrated slices that I do myself (that'll be another post under 'Preserving') which means that additional sugar coatings are avoided.- equivalent of half a banana per person - rich in potassium and natural sugar

Pineapple pieces, also dehydrated ourselves. Boosts the immune system, nourishes hair and cleanses the body. About the equivalent of one pineapple slice.

Peach slices - frozen from the glut season Peaches, plums and nectarines have bioactive compounds that can potentially fight-off obesity-related diabetes and cardiovascular disease, according to new studies. About half a peach or nectarine.

Raspberries - frozen from our own allotment. They may be little, but boysenberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, and cranberries are big on antioxidants. Small handful.

Brazil nuts - 3 of these provide you with all the RDA of selenium .Brazil nuts are rich in mono-unsaturated fats and selenium. Both these compounds help prevent coronary artery disease by lowering LDL cholesterol.

Macadamia nuts - excellent source of natural unsaturated fats and omega 3.  The nuts are rich source of mono-unsaturated fatty (MUF) like oleic acid (18:1) and palmitoleic acids (16:1). Studies suggest that MUF fats in the diet help lower total as well as LDL (bad) cholesterol and increase HDL (good) cholesterol levels in the blood. The Mediterranean diet, which is rich in fiber, MUF fats and antioxidants work favorably in maintaining healthy blood lipid profile and thus offer protection from coronary artery disease and strokes. Use about 5 nuts.

Whole Almonds - loaded with minerals, one of the most nutritious of tree nuts. Uses about 10 nuts.

Organic oats - all agricultural grains contain phytase, a substance which bind up various minerals from being digested by humans. I soak about a tablespoon of oats in 2-day-old strained kefir overnight so that the phytase is neutralised, thereby, enabling absorption of the essential minerals. Oats are proven to help reduce blood pressure and cholesterol.

Buckwheat Flour -  It has a high content of fiber and protein, and significant amounts of iron and magnesium. Besides, it contains all the eight essential amino acids. Buckwheat is also packed with phyto nutrients which are amazing disease fighting organic components. The several health benefits of buckwheat can be attributed to its amazing nutritional profile. Use about 1teaspoon In the overnight oat and kefir mix.

Of course you can add whatever you like but this as a daily regime has proved to us to be an excellent start to the day, giving stamina and sustenance well into lunch time. Almost eliminating the need for elevensies, biscuits, etc.

All this lot goes into a liquidiser or blender. I usually blend for 1 minute to ensure a creamy consistency, this is purely subjective, as is the proportion of ingredients. Please, make a drink that you like. Adding or omitting as you desire.

I sincerely hope that you feel the benefits as we have.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

scary crow

• Global Moderator
Re: The Super Smoothie
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 12:15:03 PM »

Must be doing you some good Tommy as your always running about doing something dont know where you find the time and energy ..
ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 01:14:43 PM »

Secret:-) I think he's hyperactive Scary!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 01:49:46 PM »

Making up for lost time, actually. Spent several years in the physical doldrums before realigning my body with stuff that's works.

Forgot what it was like to have energy, now I'm gonna live it!

KT

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 03:19:45 PM »

Well you certainly seem to be a living testimonial to Kefir & Kombucha then Tommy!  ThU5:-)

It must be your "Double 'K' " lifestyle!
  CThUpD:-)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 03:23:52 PM by Big Gee »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

ladybird

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 03:36:33 PM »

Good for you King Tommy!  I grow all the soft fruit you  mentioned and am looking forward to a good crop of honeyberries this year, got a light crop last year, 1st year bushes. I also have a Japanese wine berry which had loads of fruit last year. So I shall be wising to my hearts content.
There is no better show of anticipation than a man/woman sowing seeds in a field.

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 08:27:38 PM »

Honeyberries. Now, I planted a pair bought from a nursery (apparently you need a pair to pollenate successfully) about two years ago. They grew brilliantly, no-one told me just how huge they would become. They bore fruit, moderately, and I couldn't wait for them to ripen. I did wait though, until they were good and purple and had begun to soften with ripeness. Popped one in my mouth to savour the promised delight.

It was so sharp and astringent that my mouth puckered until my cheeks met in the middle.

Ah, too soon, I thought so I waited and waited until the fruit was almost falling off the bush. Now, I thought, but no, the same thing, off both bushes. I was literally bitterly disappointed.

Gave them a chance again last year 2013, and exactly the same happened. This winter I dug the pair of them up, took them out of the bird proof fruit cage and transplanted them into an herbaceous border for the bees and birds to enjoy them at their leisure.

Does anybody have any idea? Are there other types of honey berry? Does anybody have the sweet variety that they can recommend?

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 11:56:44 PM »

All I know about them is that they are relatively new to the UK, originate in Siberia, and are also found in China & Japan & now they're naturalised in Canada. They're actually honeysuckle plants. Now some honeysuckle berries are poisonous! There is little written on the differences between the forms of honeyberry (it is such a new crop here) at this stage and taste can be quite variable.

Extensive research by Dr. Bob Bors at the University of Saskatchewan over many years has developed this shrub into a great market opportunity for the Prairies.  The Honeyberry is exceptionally winter hardy. Plants will over winter in temperatures as low as -45°C. Flowers can be exposed to temperatures of -7°C with no detriment to fruit set.

Bob Bors describes the flavour this way: “it could be described as sweet, sour, bland or bitter versions of raspberry, blueberry, plum or black currents (work that one out!) and any mixture in-between. The best ones however seem to have a predominantly raspberry flavour with sweetness and just a hint of sour or bitter or astringency to give a little zing. That little zing might be described as desirable ‘mouthfeel’ in the world of red wine tasting”. THAT'S put me right off! I absolutely HATE anything tarty or bitter - I'm convinced that if it makes you wince or wink it's your body telling you it's not good for you to eat it! It's the same reason I recon as the smell of putrified meat & the sight of maggots makes us feel sick - it's because your body has evolved an aversion technique to stop you poisoning yourself! That's my theory anyway.

Go and buy a nice sweet Synsepalum dulcificum plants - also known as the miracle fruit Tommy! Not as hardy but definately more desirable!

<object width="640" height="385"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TJwuo2Y7KXs&fs=1&start="></param> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TJwuo2Y7KXs&fs=1&start=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 08:32:02 AM »

Hilarious link, BG, started my day off perfect. cwl:-]

I knew about the Honeysuckle side of it but the promise of HONEYberry pre-set my tastebuds to 'yummy', not WTF is that!

I will take issue with you on one comment though, I can't believe that you hate  ANYTHING 'Tarty'

KT

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 11:17:23 AM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hilarious link, BG, started my day off perfect. cwl:-]

I knew about the Honeysuckle side of it but the promise of HONEYberry pre-set my tastebuds to 'yummy', not WTF is that!

I will take issue with you on one comment though, I can't believe that you hate  ANYTHING 'Tarty'

KT

OK - I can take that on the chin!  cwl:-]

Let me rephrase ". . . anything SOUR . . . "

It's that word 'honey' isn't it? It's subconcious word association in your brain - if they were called 'sour berries' you'd have eaten one and thought "Ooo - that's sweet!"  ROL :-))

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 11:49:58 AM »

Made a lovely 'smoothie' this morning. Kefir with rolled oats - soaked overnight, Strawberries, grapes, pure beetroot juice, 2 apples & a spoonful of honey. Delicious!

I'm wondering though. Does mixing honey into the drink kill off any of the good bacteria in the kefir? After all honey has natural antibacterial properties, so I'm wondering if it's wise to bring it into contact with the kefir? Any views?

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 10:13:46 PM »

You are fine with honey. Just don't soak in it overnight. Sounds like a good set of flavours going on there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up